Cakewalk can't find VST downloads...what am I doing wrong?

yeto

3 hours ago, msmcleod said:

You need to make sure whichever directory these have been installed to is within Cakewalk's VST search paths:

image.png.ce5eeaf52f394540e922f31ee1068bc8.png

Thank you. That worked for Ample Sound but not for Spicy Guitar. Will Cakewalk not recognize Spicy Guitar because it is (x86)?

Also, could you share your thoughts on Native Instruments KOMPLETE START free download?

Thank you for helping,
yeto

vst.JPG

vst2.JPG

Make sure to only add folders that contain VST2/3 dlls.

Never duplicate folders. In this scan path

vst.JPG

the second path is a duplicate because it is already in the scan path as it is under the first path. That said, check exactly where the spicy guitar dll is located. That is the path that should be scanned. Added unnecessary paths and scanning areas that do not contain plug-in dlls can create problems.

Usually VST2 plug-ins have an option in their installer for VST2 install path and display where the plug-in will be installed. You could uninstall then reinstall the plug-in and see where the plug-in dll is actually installed. It may be in one of the first two paths in the image or it could be somewhere else.

As far as CbB and its scanner are concerned, it does not matter where plug-ins are installed as long as the plug-in dll is in the scan path.

A scan log may help. The option is shown on the preference screen above.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, scook said:

Make sure to only add folders that contain VST2/3 dlls.

Never duplicate folders. In this scan path

vst.JPG

the second path is a duplicate because it is already in the scan path as it is under the first path. That said, check exactly where the spicy guitar dll is located. That is the path that should be scanned. Added unnecessary paths and scanning areas that do not contain plug-in dlls can create problems.

Usually VST2 plug-ins have an option in their installer for VST2 install path and display where the plug-in will be installed. You could uninstall then reinstall the plug-in and see where the plug-in dll is actually installed. It may be in one of the first two paths in the image or it could be somewhere else.

As far as CbB and its scanner are concerned, it does not matter where plug-ins are installed as long as the plug-in dll is in the scan path.

A scan log may help. The option is shown on the preference screen above.

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. This is the file that worked:

VST Directory: C:\Program Files\Steinberg\Vstplugins

Thank you for taking time out of your day to help,
yeto

I was going to say that most 3rd party VST's default to the Steinberg folder and I didn't see that on your list. 

It's the first thing I do on a fresh install is include the 2 Steinberg vst folders where I keep all my 3rd party stuff.  There be one under "Program files" and another under "Program Files (x86) " 

I just spent last night looking over all the Black Friday deals, In the process I found a dozen very cool freebies. The JRR shop and Black Rooster as example.   The Ample P bass lite is my main bass now. Only limitation is it doesn't go below E. I also use the Guitar plug in if a midi track has something worthwhile , most don't. But that one seems a bit better than Strum Session to me. 

Edited by John Vere
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, John Vere said:

I was going to say that most 3rd party VST's default to the Steinberg folder and I didn't see that on your list. 

Side note to this comment... some VSTs do not allow you to specify the installation folders, and Steinberg is where they can likely end up. That folder is good to have included "just because." Searching for where something really installed will always work, regardless.

On 11/29/2019 at 11:37 AM, John Vere said:

It's the first thing I do on a fresh install is include the 2 Steinberg vst folders where I keep all my 3rd party stuff.  There be one under "Program files" and another under "Program Files (x86) " 

I just spent last night looking over all the Black Friday deals, In the process I found a dozen very cool freebies. The JRR shop and Black Rooster as example.   The Ample P bass lite is my main bass now. Only limitation is it doesn't go below E. I also use the Guitar plug in if a midi track has something worthwhile , most don't. But that one seems a bit better than Strum Session to me. 

Thank you. This is helpful. The Black Rooster stuff sounds really good.

20 hours ago, mettelus said:

Side note to this comment... some VSTs do not allow you to specify the installation folders, and Steinberg is where they can likely end up. That folder is good to have included "just because." Searching for where something really installed will always work, regardless.

Thank you for taking time to help.

yeto