Lens = Workspace

timboalogo

5 hours ago, timboalogo said:

I don't like the search function on this site and find it easier to ask - sorry for the newb question.

Three things: I find searching the pdf sometimes get me to the info I want more quickly and more accurately than the on-line search. Not sure if you would have a similar experience.  I also find sometimes the online ToC and Index are often more helpful than the search box results. 

The problem that I generally have with the online search is that it usually lists links and descriptions of those links for pre-CbB products.

As for asking about Workspaces, since I am making a concerted effort to teach myself the ins and outs, benefits, and disadvantages, etc. of Workspaces [formerly Lenses], as a plain old user [i.e., not staff or even power user], when I see questions/comments about them, it gives me an excuse to explore them more and maybe discover things I hadn't explored yet.

Footnote: yesterday and today I have been working on developing/refining a "Staff Entry" Workspace for my personal use.

image.thumb.png.d7847f529fe74211b9f83b5272b1b2ee.png

Edited by User 905133
to change a duplicated word
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, User 905133 said:

The problem that I generally have with the online search is that it usually lists links and descriptions of those links for pre-CbB products.

The website does not have CbB indexed. Until that is done, don't expect to see any of the CbB links in search results.

For many pages, changing the product in the search result urls to Cakewalk yield the current pages. For example, searching for prochannel shows the following url

https://www.cakewalk.com/Documentation?product=SONAR&language=3&help=ProChannel.01.html

replacing everything after "product=" in the url to the ampersand with Cakewalk results in the CbB page

https://www.cakewalk.com/Documentation?product=Cakewalk&language=3&help=ProChannel.01.html

Of course, the older versions have fewer pages in common with CbB. That said, when the product substitution in the url does not return the correct page, the old page may still be of value. Often the information still applies. When it does not, the location of the page (IOW, the path immediately above the navigation buttons), section headers and terms used in the page provide clues on where and what to look for in the current documentation.

Finally, if a subject is not found, it may be in new features. New features are best reviewed by scanning that part of the help directly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2