New workstation setup..

4th Eden

So new PC arrived today m.2 500GB C drive 1tb SSD for the D: drive  plus 2 x 3TB data drives...

I didnt want to fall into the trap of letting everything get installed onto the C drive so I wanted to relocated Program Files and ProgramData to the D drive. Bad mistake! This made my RegEdit screwed and now Im going back to factory settings. Luckily, I hadn't gone too far with the setup...

Any recommendations on how to re-directed program files, program-data locations and other essential folders you may think about?

Steve Cook has covered “dynamic links” extensively, do a search. That m.2 should be your sample drive, but to each his own. PFiles and PData should stay on the C drive. For VSTi that want to put samples in either folder, use the dynamic link. Bob Bone and I have debated the proper use of m.2 drives; IF you can afford two AND your mb supports it, go for the C on the m.2. BUT, samples load so screaming fast from the m.2, for ME, that’s where it shines!

YMMV, just my nickel98’s worth, take it with a grain of salt!!

Tom

• Great Idea 1

9 minutes ago, DeeringAmps said:

Steve Cook has covered “dynamic links” extensively, do a search. That m.2 should be your sample drive, but to each his own. PFiles and PData should stay on the C drive. For VSTi that want to put samples in either folder, use the dynamic link. Bob Bone and I have debated the proper use of m.2 drives; IF you can afford two AND your mb supports it, go for the C on the m.2. BUT, samples load so screaming fast from the m.2, for ME, that’s where it shines!

YMMV, just my nickel98’s worth, take it with a grain of salt!!

Tom

no worries Tom... yes, my m.2 is the OS in this instance... companies like Arturia seem to put all their data within the PData folder ..running V Collection this is 10gb... I will investagte 'dynamic' links as PFiles and PData folder look like can cause major issues if tampered with as I have just discovered...

Looks like there a tools to help create 'symbolic links' which Im just researching or the other option is using the cmd prompt to setup links with similar to this:

"mklink /d C:\Users\Your Name\AppData\Local D:\AppData\Local " 

Spectrasonics seem to have this covered with their own redirection to their Steam Folders but Arturia doesn't...

Edited by 4th Eden

• 2 weeks later...