Korg Gadget 2 is Out with 6 new Gadgets / PC version has Gadgets as Plugins Only

Reid Rosefelt

You can get Gadget 2 at the Korg Shop  HERE

Four versions for desktop:
Gadget for Mac  $199 intro price, regular price will be $199 after March 31st.
Gadget Plugins Only Mac/PC   $149 ($199)
Gadget Upgrade for Mac  $99.99
Gadget LE for Mac  Free

Some serious disappointments for PC people.  Not all of the gadgets are available at launch and none of them have NKS yet.   Mac Gadget has had NKS for awhile.
These will be added in future upgrades.  🙄
You really have to dig through their site to find this information, but it's HERE if you scroll down to the bottom of the page.

4 new gadgets: 

• Memphis Semi-Modular Analogue Synthesizer (like MS-20/10)
  • Pompei  6 Voice Analog Synth (like Polysix ) 
  • Taipei (MIDI-Out Control Module) 
  • Durban (Bass Effect Processor) 

Plus two more new gadgets coming soon 

These join Gadget versions of Korg classics like the M1, Wavestation, Arp Odyssey, Mono/Poly, etc.  

iOS users will see a number of changes to the user interface and new features like tempo change, fade in/fade out, and  four new fx.  The long requested ability to rename tracks is finally here.   And of course the ability to control iOS and hardware synths with the MIDI out is a big deal.

More info on Gadget HERE

NOTE: the first comments below are from when I put this up pre-release a few weeks ago. 

GADGET.jpg

Edited by Tiger The Frog

13 hours ago, TerraSin said:

Hmm, no discount for owners of Legacy Collection?

I doubt it.  It didn't happen for the Mac version of Gadget.  I don't think Korg ever even offered a package deal for both.

They are really different things .  Most (all? ) of the Gadgets are not identical to the ones in the Legacy Collection.  You can program and make 8 part multis on the M1, but on its gadget, Darwin, you can only make single patches with small adjustments like res, cutoff, amplitude, etc.  ArpOdyssey has an extra page of features than its Gadget, Lexington.  

I want this, but I realize that a lot of what makes Gadget the app and most of the Gadgets work is because of the touch interface and the fact that you can use so many of them at once.  Simplicity is good there.   But as extra VSTs for your DAW, it's not important.  None of the Gadgets are as good as your standard VST, including the Legacy synths.  On the other hand they have NKS.  I believe its possible that NI will one day come out with some kind of touch interface for their keyboards.  Maybe an XY pad?  The first edition went in that direction with th controller wheels.  

Would be interesting if they had an OSC app for tablets that would let you control them.

I wish they would do more with the Legacy collection. They promised updates that haven't happened when they released ArpOdyssey. Damn shame because they are nice instruments.