Chord track/Chord assistant

Feral State Sound

I am in total agreement.  I think some a chord track having the most useful features of those in Studio One, Cubase and Waveform 9 would be excellent. I think everyone who would like this feature should make a list of individual features they would like the "chord track" to have and then someone could summarize it. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tobias said:

what is the point of chord tracks ? Am I missing something ?

Well in studio one a chord track can 

a) be detected from audio (where the chords are unknown)

b) be used to change the MIDI and Audio

c) be used by collaborators to track to  "project you give them)"

In the case of b) you can enable all tracks (non-percussive of course) to all react to changes in the chord track. Is that slick or what?

Edited by Bapu
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On ‎12‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 10:07 PM, Bapu said:

Well in studio one a chord track can 

a) be detected from audio (where the chords are unknown)

b) be used to change the MIDI and Audio

c) be used by collaborators to track to  "project you give them)"

In the case of b) you can enable all tracks (non-percussive of course) to all react to changes in the chord track. Is that slick or what?

so a) is a substitute for good ears ?  People should train their ears instead of not knowing what they hear. Its like writing a book without knowing the difference between a and z :)

b) sounds interesting

c) not sure what this means, another ear substitute? 

1 hour ago, Tobias said:

so a) is a substitute for good ears ?  People should train their ears instead of not knowing what they hear. Its like writing a book without knowing the difference between a and z :)

b) sounds interesting

I tend to agree with Tobias here.

Whilst being able to change the chords of MIDI/Audio on the fly might be useful to some users, I doubt if I'd use it much myself (I've not in SO4 yet).  I guess it depends on how clever it is, but if for example I wanted to change from F maj to Dm7,  I'd normally just change the bass to a D and leave everything else as is. I wouldn't want it to start transposing guitar parts that would render it impossible to play live.

In saying that, I suppose it's useful for trying out new chord combinations.

Personally, I use Liquid Notes for this sort of thing if my imagination has really dried up, but this is limited to MIDI.

Now if it could do what Studio One 4 does as well as what Liquid Notes does.... then I'd be interested.

Edited by msmcleod

one real cool use for the chord track is with loops paint in loops of one chord and apply the chord track data from another track

also if you are a good guitar player but a not so good piano player  learn one chord and play it over an area then convert it with the chord track data

Chord based arranger.  Not just for typing chords to play loops or clips... But actual arranger. Similar to Yamaha Mobile arranger, which is sadly only for ios and if I am not mistaken it has not been updated in few years. However, this is the most easiest to use software arranger (chord based)  with some pretty complex features  I have tried up till today. 

I would love to see "in house" Bandlab arranger, but on the other hand, maybe it is simpler and better to partner up with somebody who has experience with such things and can make a much more interesting module than just "chord track"  and do it in form of VST tailored for Cakewalk at reasonable "plugin" price.    Just thoughts  :) 

• 9 months later...

This is an excellent feature.  We have to at least ask for it.

I was hoping that when ARA2 was implemented, that it might open the window to chord track / audio.  It would be hard to imagine that the Presonus developers came up with the algorithms to detect chords in audio and also be able to affect polyphonic audio.  Though it could be German engineering.  :D

On 12/27/2018 at 6:23 AM, Tobias said:

b) sounds interesting

Ever watch an orchestra give a performance?  They use sheet music!  Ever watch a marching band?  They use sheet music too!  Ever see photos of session musicians?  They use lead and chord sheets too!  Guitar Pro?  Uses tab.

I don't know music theory.  I don't read music but I can read guitar chord diagrams to learn whatever chords I don't know in a song I'm not familiar with.

Sheet music, chord tracks, etc are not everything but chord tracks can be significant workflow aids.  Use to be you couldn't collaborate with musicians in different time zones, states, countries or continents but now you can.

Anything that can help level the playing field so musicians with different skill sets and skill levels can collaborate is welcome in my mind.

• Like 2
  • Great Idea 2

15 hours ago, Jim Fogle said:

Anything that can help level the playing field so musicians with different skill sets and skill levels can collaborate is welcome in my mind

This is a very interesting statement James. I do agree with you.

I remember when loop packs first came out, many musicians including myself were a bit insulted that some users needed to use samples loops vs making their own.

I have worked years at my craft and it is a bit (just bit) irritating to see a "musician" use a color by number coloring book to create what we call music.

However if these tools were available for me when I was learning, I would have probably jumped at the opportunity.

Your a good guy Jim, very logical, very considerate too. I enjoy reading your comments.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Chuck E Baby said:

This is a very interesting statement James. I do agree with you.

I remember when loop packs first came out, many musicians including myself were a bit insulted that some users needed to use samples loops vs making their own.

I have worked years at my craft and it is a bit (just bit) irritating to see a "musician" use a color by number coloring book to create what we call music.

However if these tools were available for me when I was learning, I would have probably jumped at the opportunity.

Your a good guy Jim, very logical, very considerate too. I enjoy reading your comments.

@Chuck E Baby, thank you for the compliment.  I enjoy reading your posts for the same reasons.

• Thanks 1

Too bad for users looking for this feature that when Roland owned Cakewalk they didn't give us an integrated plug-in version of their intelligent arranger software.  For me, chord tracks were tracks with chords I put in using the staff view directed to one of my Roland intelligent arranger boxes. Not as full-featured as what I hear people asking for here, but maybe if they had done the initial plug-in, it might have been updated with these new capabilities somewhere along the way.

The intelligent arrangers had(have?) chord recognition. I suppose instead of using notes on a staff, I could have played sets of three or more notes (aka chords) and recorded them on a chord track. Of course, maybe I did do that and I don't remember.