Cakewalk keeps crashing when loading in plugin

Lorenzo Stolk

Hello, 

Lately I used the Antares Auto Tune Access, This worked fine for me. Now I bought the EFX+ version. 

Everytime I drag the plugin onto a track, the plugin screen comes up, gives me a loading circle on my curser. And than it crashes, Cakewalk studio and the plugin are both gone from my screen and I have to restart Cakwalk again. It keep crashing everytime. Does it crash cause it has to less memory or available power? 

All Antares plugins are 64x. 

Does someone know how to fix this or has this problem as well?

Thanks in advance! 

Greets, 

Lorenzo 

5 hours ago, chuckebaby said:

Try using the VST 2 version. I seem to remember something about the VST 3 version not working or crashing cakewalk.

From what I recall its the plug in, not Cakewalk. Also does this use Ilok ?

it does not use ilok, but you need to use their own pogram to active the license on the current computer.  
How do i use the VST 2 version?

Edited by Lorenzo Stolk

I have a problem with the VST3 version of AAS Chromophone 2 causing a crash that the VST2 does not. Others don't experience this, (including AAS themselves, apparently).

If re-installing/re-scanning doesn't solve the problem,  you might try replacing the VST2 with the VST3 after its loaded, which works with Chromophone. 

1 hour ago, chuckebaby said:

This might help

http://support.antarestech.com/support/solutions/articles/26000014407-sonar-platinum

You'll probably have to rescan failed plug ins. And make sure "Hide related VST2 plugins" is not checked in preferences.

Thanks, yea, that is what I did before.

But aint it possible to solve it so I can use the VST3?

23 minutes ago, chuckebaby said:

From what ive read... no.

and

Thanks man! that helped, now the plugin wont let my Cakewalk crash, but now the VST3 plugin just doesnt respond, it goes gray.... so some improvement, but not what fully fixed. 

Edited by Lorenzo Stolk
typo

• 6 months later...

Confirmed still today. I just purchased he latest version of Antares Auto-Tune EFX+ and the VST3 version crashes the latest CAKEWALK still. The VST2 version works fine. Auto-Tune Pro 9 VST3 also works fine.

It is just the EFX+ VST3 version of Auto-Tune that causes a crash when loaded. 

• 2 months later...
On 11/27/2019 at 12:42 PM, David Baay said:

I have a problem with the VST3 version of AAS Chromophone 2 causing a crash that the VST2 does not. Others don't experience this, (including AAS themselves, apparently).

If re-installing/re-scanning doesn't solve the problem,  you might try replacing the VST2 with the VST3 after its loaded, which works with Chromophone. 

I have the same problem.  Didn't have it at first, so I'm not sure if it was a Windows update or a Cakewalk update that broke it.  I also have the same problem (and history) with AAS Ultra-Analog.  I was able to go back to a project that worked with the VST3 when I first got it and create a Track Template, which I can now use as my way to insert Ultra-Analog VST3 into new projects. I think I've got a project with a working Chromaphone VST3 and may try the same approach.  Or I'll try your VST2 / VST3 trick and then try to create a track template from that.

6 hours ago, DasAlex said:

How do I switch to VST2?
The Support won't Answer me, I'm pretty new to the Program!

Sincerely,
Alex

Find the relevant .vst3 file in C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3 and delete it (or, preferably, rename it to, say .vst3bad) and rescan in Cakewalk.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Kevin Perry said:

Find the relevant .vst3 file in C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3 and delete it (or, preferably, rename it to, say .vst3bad) and rescan in Cakewalk.

Still didn't work. Maybe I'm doing something wrong? I renamed the File and it still wouldn't work. Is there anything I could do?

Thank you! 😄

Edited by DasAlex

29 minutes ago, DasAlex said:

I renamed the File

Did you rename the file extension?

Renaming the file without changing its extension will not cause the plug-in to be skipped because the scanner looks for any file with a .vst3 extension in C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3

If you have file extensions hidden in Windows Explorer (I believe this is the default) you will need to enable them.

Or just move the file out of the scan path

Or delete it. You can always re-run the installer to get the VST3 back later.

May want to make sure the VST2 plug-in is installed.

19 hours ago, scook said:

Did you rename the file extension?

Renaming the file without changing its extension will not cause the plug-in to be skipped because the scanner looks for any file with a .vst3 extension in C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3

If you have file extensions hidden in Windows Explorer (I believe this is the default) you will need to enable them.

Or just move the file out of the scan path

Or delete it. You can always re-run the installer to get the VST3 back later.

May want to make sure the VST2 plug-in is installed.

Ok, so I deleted it now, and the file extensions were enabled. I rescaned, but it still wouldn't work, am I scanning right? And yes, the VST2 plug-in was installed. This is weird.

But still thanks for the help!

16 minutes ago, DasAlex said:

I rescaned, but it still wouldn't work

Do you mean

• the VST2 plug-in does not work (I can't help in this case, don't use Antares software)
  • The VST2 plug-in is not in the plug-in list
    • make sure to use one of the manufacturer supplied "Sort by" layouts or update your custom layout
    • if the plug-in is not shown in the Plug-in Manager VST Audio Effects category, verify the VST2 plug-in is in the scan path then see this post for how to scan for failed or missing plug-ins
  • Like 1

On 11/27/2019 at 12:42 PM, David Baay said:

Used your trick and then created a track template from the Chromaphone 3 VST3 track.  So now instead of doing Insert/Soft Synth/Chromaphone 2 VST3, I do Insert/Track Template/Chromaphone 2 VST3 (the name I gave my track template). No extra steps and it works fine.

10 minutes ago, scook said:

Do you mean

• the VST2 plug-in does not work (I can't help in this case, don't use Antares software)
  • The VST2 plug-in is not in the plug-in list
    • make sure to use one of the manufacturer supplied "Sort by" layouts or update your custom layout
    • if the plug-in is not shown in the Plug-in Manager VST Audio Effects category, verify the VST2 plug-in is in the scan path and see this post for how to scan for failed or missing plug-ins

Thank you so so much!
That was exactly the thing I needed, you made my day!
I hope you have a wonderful morning, evening or whatever.

Greetings,
Alex!