Jump to content
Morten Saether

2019.11 Feedback

Recommended Posts

Check your outputs and see if they were reassigned during the update.

 

ALL of my inputs and outputs seemed randomly reassigned.

 

SO damned frustrating.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/4/2019 at 8:00 PM, Noel Borthwick said:

Hi @kagunmarx thanks for your report. Your support case limited information other than the fact that you saw a hang. We will need a bit more to go on.
e.g What audio interface are you running, what version of Windows and is the hang happening on all your projects or a specific one.  What is your MIDI and audio buffer sizes. Can you explain when the hang occurs. Is it while playing back or recording? How reproducible is the hang - did it only happen once or is it reproducible? 

The only way we can diagnose hangs is if you send us a dump file when the application is in a hung state. There is information here about how to do this.
You will have to reinstall the .11 release and try and reproduce it again. 

For the hotfix we have identified a hang situation with recording and playing back MIDI. This is not a new issue but could be more likely to occur in 11 because of the lower MIDI buffer size. Its possible that you ran into this but without seeing a diagnostic dump I have no way to verify it. We have fixed this issue for the upcoming hotfix. If you would like to try it send me a PM and I will give you a download link. If it is the same hang you likely be able to avoid it by setting your MIDI buffer size to a higher number like 200 msec. 

I'd like to get to the bottom of this so we'd appreciate it if you could try and help us get some more data. 

 

 

Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 "1st Gen" with Beta Driver "Scarlett MixControl-1.9b4"

Windows 10 Build 18363 

The Freezing happens when I'm mixing a project and open a plugin.

Any plugin.

Settings.jpg

The One-R_12032019_220652.dmp

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/6/2019 at 8:02 PM, User 905133 said:

I copied both "OK" and "Key/Mouse Killer" into the User Workspace folder. I opened Cakewalk, then a project, and first switched to "OK." No problems. I then switched to "Key/Mouse Killer." Both my typing keyboard and mouse worked. I will try a few more times.  (2019.11 build 54)

UPDATE: I tried playing projects, loading up to 3 more projects while one was playing, stopping and starting the transport, switching to and from the K/M Killer.  At no point did I lose the ability to use my mouse and/or keyboard.  I hope support/staff and help track down this elusive problem.

 

 

 

 

 

Thanks for trying to replicate.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just ran into another “gotcha”.

 

By default it looks like ripple editing is enabled with the latest update.  I only have ever used it to check it out way back when it was first introduced by never since.  Today I did some editing of an audio track that has some silence at the end of it and I deleted it.  I then started the project from the beginning and listened to it and as if by magic a bunch of my tracks were WAY out of alignment.  The culprit ?  Yep, you guess it.  Freaking ripple edit was enabled.  Took me a little while to figure that out...

 

Anyway hopefully this helps someone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ASIO issue and workaround.

Issue:  Playback severely distorted and sometimes 1/2 speed playback.
Interface: Saffire Pro40.  Mix Control software version:  3.7  the newest (and last release).
Computer: Windows 7 64 bit.  
BandLab Version:  2019.11.0.54

Found:  If I change the ASIO buffer size using "Saffire Mix Control" to a value that is not available on  Cakewalk>Edit>Preferences>Buffer Size does not change and the conflict in settings appears to cause the issue. 

Workaround:  Use only values that are available Cakewalk>Edit>Preferences>Buffer Size.  E.g Cakewalk does not have 384 or 192 as an available option but Saffire MixControl does.  I used to use 192 a lot and now need to use 128 or 256 instead.

Pre version 2019.11 this was not an issue and I only changed the setting on Saffire Mix control.
2019.11 has the new feature of restarting the audio engine and this does seem to work.

Saffire example: 

1469161227_Saffire_ASIOBufferSize3.thumb.png.e649b74db721dc837b1ffc8a0fd9159b.png

Cakewalk settings page:

1684120800_ASIOBufferSize_PreferencesMenu.PNG.b51c32c0f5a9563c060f45f2b7271292.PNG

Edited by Martin Vigesaa
Updated with new info

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Martin Vigesaa said:

ASIO issue and workaround.

Issue:  Playback severely distorted and somtimes 1/2 speed playback.
Interface: Saffire Pro40.  Computer: Windows 7 64 bit.

@Martin Vigesaa  thanks for your report. Have you updated to the latest hotfix yet? Also try setting the StopEngineOnPanelOpen value to true in preferences / audio / configuration file and see if that addresses it.

We have not had any issues with other focusrite devices in our testing. Are you running the latest focusrite drivers?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Greg Wynn said:

Just ran into another “gotcha”.

 

By default it looks like ripple editing is enabled with the latest update.  I only have ever used it to check it out way back when it was first introduced by never since.  Today I did some editing of an audio track that has some silence at the end of it and I deleted it.  I then started the project from the beginning and listened to it and as if by magic a bunch of my tracks were WAY out of alignment.  The culprit ?  Yep, you guess it.  Freaking ripple edit was enabled.  Took me a little while to figure that out...

 

Anyway hopefully this helps someone.

@Greg Wynn ripple is definitely not enabled by default by the application. Its may be that you accidentally clicked the button when trying to something else in that area of the screen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/7/2019 at 11:43 AM, Greg Wynn said:

Here’s a new one I’ve never seen before.  Last night did a lot of work and encountered too many issues to list right now (but will later). I’ve been a user since Pro Audio days and I don’t know what’s going on with the latest version of CbB (WITH the hotfix candidate installed) but it’s clear something is sick.

 

Check this out.  Exported a project to wav with audio enabled so I could listen to it one last time.  Export went fine and then opened the resultant wav in Wavelab.  Here is where things got bizarre. A dialogue box opened in Wavelab that said something to the effect that “the wav file you are attempting to open is not a valid file and Wavelab is closing to prevent damage”.  Say WHAT ??  I’ve never seen that either and have been using WL also for 15 years.

So I reaccomplished the export thinking something must have glitched.  SAME bizarre error in WL. Now I’m less that happy as I’d been encountering audio engine stops randomly (NEVER had that before), garbled sections of audio tracks that were acoustic guitar and were recorded properly gain staged, non-normal split clip behavior on audio tracks, on and on. By 2AM this morning I’d had enough of a very long frustrating night.

 

The only thing that changed (besides the .11 version and resultant Hotfix candidate) was that I’ve started using Kazrog True Iron on my audio tracks.  Are there any known issues with it ?  By the way - this morning the project exported fine and opened properly in Wavelab.  And I’d changed nothing.

 

@Greg Wynn Did you save the exports that don't open in WaveLab and can you open the same wave file in CbB itself?   Were you doing a realtime export? The only thing I can think of is that somehow the file was somehow in use still and you opened it prematurely in Wavelab. What format and bit depth did you export as - was it wave64 or a 64 bit wave file? If you saved a version that won't open in other programs send it to us for analysis.

>>I’d been encountering audio engine stops randomly

What audio interface are you using, what driver mode and did you get an engine stop message? What was the error code listed when you get a stop.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Illogistical Resource Dept said:

Short clip of the zoom bug. Mouse cursor can't be moved outside the zoom control box 
and no way to stop playback because the keyboard stops working. 

CbB Zoom Bug

@Illogistical Resource Dept Thanks for the report. Does it happen every time you use the zoom control? Presumably you're clicking and holding the left mouse button to zoom, and at some point you release the left mouse button, but the mouse cursor stays stuck in the zoom box? Did you notice this in earlier versions of CbB? Any other clues that might be relevant?

Edit: Is the mouse permanently stuck in the zoom box afterwards, or does pressing Esc, left/right clicking again, or anything else 'free' it?

Edited by Ben Staton
Added another question

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Noel - thanks for your responses. All of the items listed below were post the .11 release  with the hotfix (version 63 I believe).

 

For some background I have been using Cakewalk since Pro Audio days (2002 ?) and I’d like to think I know my way around fairly well :)

Ripple Edit being enabled - While I guess it would be possible I enabled it by accident it would be the first time I’d ever done that.

ALL audio inputs and outputs reassigned - this was a surprise.Right after I Installed the base (non hotfix) .11 release I found all of my inputs and outputs reassigned.  
 

Did you save the exports that don't open in WaveLab and can you open the same wave file in CbB itself?  I did not save it (I should have) and did not attempt to open it in CbB.

Were you doing a realtime export?  Indeed. By habit I’ve been doing that for years to listen to the export as it’s happening.

Format and bit depth - wav and 24. Just as I’ve been doing for over a decade.

What audio interface are you using, what driver mode and did you get an engine stop message?  MOTU Track16 (it’s been a workhorse), ASIO, I did get some akin to “Audio Engine Stopped unexpectantly” 


NOTE - I did do some work last night and everything worked fine EXCEPT every once in a while there were some clicks and crackles. I can replicate them  in track view sometimes by clicking anywhere while the audio engine is engaged. Fairly loud too.

 

If there is any other way I can assist please let me know.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ben Staton said:

@Illogistical Resource Dept Thanks for the report. Does it happen every time you use the zoom control? Presumably you're clicking and holding the left mouse button to zoom, and at some point you release the left mouse button, but the mouse cursor stays stuck in the zoom box? Did you notice this in earlier versions of CbB? Any other clues that might be relevant?

Edit: Is the mouse permanently stuck in the zoom box afterwards, or does pressing Esc, left/right clicking again, or anything else 'free' it?

It doesn't happen every time I zoom during playback. I didn't try Esc. It didn't happen in earlier versions of Cakewalk. It's possible it could have something to do with Windows 1909 update. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, kagunmarx said:

Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 "1st Gen" with Beta Driver "Scarlett MixControl-1.9b4"

Windows 10 Build 18363 

The Freezing happens when I'm mixing a project and open a plugin.

Any plugin.

Settings.jpg

The One-R_12032019_220652.dmp 3.29 MB · 2 downloads

@kagunmarxThis looks like your plugin itself is crashing. The crash is not in Cakewalk but inside the plugin. Also your dump file is from the 2019.09 release and not the latest 2019.11 release

Unhandled exception at 0x00007FF8CA528CD7 (Multi Band Gate.vst3) in The One-R_12032019_220652.dmp: 0xC0000005: Access violation reading location 0x0000000000000000.

Multi Band Gate.vst3    Multi Band Gate.vst3    *c:\program files\common files\VST3\Multi Band Gate.vst3    N/A    Yes    No matching binary found.        262    1.00.6.1    12/3/2019 4:10 PM    00007FF8CA4D0000-00007FF8CAA69000    The One-R_12032019_220652.dmp        

Please contact the plugin vendor and report the dump file to them.

Try inserting one of Cakewalk's VST plugins in the effects bin or something from another vendor and check if its crashing. This is completely unrelated to the new release.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Greg Wynn said:

Hi Noel - thanks for your responses. All of the items listed below were post the .11 release  with the hotfix (version 63 I believe).

 

For some background I have been using Cakewalk since Pro Audio days (2002 ?) and I’d like to think I know my way around fairly well :)

Ripple Edit being enabled - While I guess it would be possible I enabled it by accident it would be the first time I’d ever done that.

ALL audio inputs and outputs reassigned - this was a surprise.Right after I Installed the base (non hotfix) .11 release I found all of my inputs and outputs reassigned.  
 

Did you save the exports that don't open in WaveLab and can you open the same wave file in CbB itself?  I did not save it (I should have) and did not attempt to open it in CbB.

Were you doing a realtime export?  Indeed. By habit I’ve been doing that for years to listen to the export as it’s happening.

Format and bit depth - wav and 24. Just as I’ve been doing for over a decade.

What audio interface are you using, what driver mode and did you get an engine stop message?  MOTU Track16 (it’s been a workhorse), ASIO, I did get some akin to “Audio Engine Stopped unexpectantly” 


NOTE - I did do some work last night and everything worked fine EXCEPT every once in a while there were some clicks and crackles. I can replicate them  in track view sometimes by clicking anywhere while the audio engine is engaged. Fairly loud too.

 

If there is any other way I can assist please let me know.

 

 

@Greg Wynn

Ripple edit is definitely off by default so no change there and nobody else is running into this.
Regarding export its likely something that locked the wave file and prevented Wavelab. Again please try and repro it and follow the steps I posted to troubleshoot further.

Inputs and outputs reassigned its likely that you ran into the issue where the update was prompting for the first run startup onboarding dialog when you ran 11 for the first time. We've already fixed that in the hotfix. I suspect that your issues were related to your settings being set to default values.

If you can still reproduce the dropout issue please note the error code that is shown in the engine stop message since that describes the cause. There is a numeric code listed there. If you press the help button there it will show all the code descriptions.

There are no changes to rendering audio in this release so any issues with clicks you are seeing while seeking audio may be related to your buffer settings.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/9/2019 at 6:51 AM, Noel Borthwick said:

@Martin Vigesaa  thanks for your report. Have you updated to the latest hotfix yet? Also try setting the StopEngineOnPanelOpen value to true in preferences / audio / configuration file and see if that addresses it.

We have not had any issues with other focusrite devices in our testing. Are you running the latest focusrite drivers?

I had mix control 3.4, updated to latest (3.7)  and still have the issue.
Setting the StopEngineOnPanelOpen value to true had no effect.

BandLab version was: 2019.11.0.54.   

I then installed the hotfix item:  "Download Hotfix RC for original 2019.11 release"  (was this the correct one?)
This updated it to:  "2019.11 (Build 63,64 bit)"  diplayed in Cakewalk Help>About menu and 25.11.0.63  appears after clicking Help>Check for update.

The BandLab Preferences > Mixing Latency setting has the following options: 32,64,128,256,512,1024,2048
Mix Control software has all of those plus the additional options: 48,96,192,384,786. 
Were the additional values simply removed from the BandLab Mixing Latency settings menu?  Should they appear as options?

Edited by Martin Vigesaa
clarify

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...