2019.11 Feedback

Morten Saether

22 hours ago, Kurre said:

I updated to 2019.11 Build 63.

It's fine. The faster scan and start that i expected in earlier build showed up now.

Midifiles play at correct speed now.

30 minutes ago i tried to update my laptop that have CbB 2019.09 build 70.

That didn't work. Same problem as others.

It seems version 2019.11 Build 54 is an explicit requirement.

23 hours ago, Kurre said:

I updated to 2019.11 Build 63.

It's fine. The faster scan and start that i expected in earlier build showed up now.

Midifiles play at correct speed now.

30 minutes ago i tried to update my laptop that have CbB 2019.09 build 70.

That didn't work. Same problem as others.

It seems version 2019.11 Build 54 is an explicit requirement.

Right now i am updated to 2019.11 Build 63 on my laptop.

I ignored the Bandlab assistant icon on the desktop.

I started Cakewalk. It notified me of the update.

I clicked on the update tab in the notification. The Bandlab assistant started and downloaded the necessary files. It seemed to take longer time than earlier updates but i can't prove that.

Then it started to install but halted and asked me to shut down Cakewalk. I did that and continued the install and all went fine.

I can only think of one possible difference between starting B.a. with the desktop icon and starting it from within Cakewalk. Could it be that Cakewalk gives b.a. admin rights where desktop shortcut doesn't?

Edited by Kurre
Addition.

1 minute ago, Kurre said:

I clicked on the update tab in the notification. The bandlab assistant started and downloaded the necessary files. It seemed to take longer time than earlier updates but i can't prove that.

That is the correct behavior because it means that BA downloaded the correct installer you needed. The smaller update installer updates those who were on the initial release version 25.11.0.54, so it would have downloaded the larger full installer version for you. 

All clicking the notification from CbB should do is open Assistant, so it's weird that would make any difference, but good to hear you got the update. 

@Noel Borthwick

I just had a random weird thing happen where I adjusted my ASIO buffer from 256 to 1024 (went from tracking to mixing), and Cakewalk abruptly crashed to desktop.  No warning, no dump file, nada.

(Reopened and it was fine after that.)

Luckily I didn't lose too much work, but yea.  Figured I'd mention it.

I'm on whatever build BA told me to update to a few days ago, so I should be good there.

Edited by AxlBrutality

On 12/13/2019 at 9:29 PM, AxlBrutality said:

@Noel Borthwick

I just had a random weird thing happen where I adjusted my ASIO buffer from 256 to 1024 (went from tracking to mixing), and Cakewalk abruptly crashed to desktop.  No warning, no dump file, nada.

(Reopened and it was fine after that.)

Luckily I didn't lose too much work, but yea.  Figured I'd mention it.

I'm on whatever build BA told me to update to a few days ago, so I should be good there.

I have always closed Cakewalk/Sonar prior to changing the ASIO Buffer Size, so the buffers get refreshed.

Bob Bone

On 12/11/2019 at 6:56 AM, Noel Borthwick said:

Hi @Olaf I'm sorry to hear about your issues. Even though it may seem that its related to the .11 release I suspect that they are coincidental, since many of the areas you had issues with have not changed in this release. Whats possible is that your audio setup got reset when you installed 11 initially and your audio settings changed. Other than that there are no changes to audio latency esp for ASIO. I suspect most of your issues may be related to your audio device if that is the only device you are using. The Audigy 2 is an end of life old device with no current Win 10 drivers.

What version of Cakewalk were you using prior to this update? If you send me a link to your minidump files (as listed in your screenshots) I can see if the crashes reveal any further information for troubleshooting. 

Hey, Noel! Thanks very much for your answer.

You are right about the Audigy 2, I had to dig long and deep to find a driver for Win 10, and, as per the online advice of people having the same problem, I ended up using the .inf file of an Audigy RX, I believe, added on top of the installed driver - it seems they have the same engine.

I did consider it might have been a compatiblity issue with the drivers, but the reasons for which I ruled it out eventually were that, for one, Win10 recognizes the device as 24 bit, 48 khz, the way i've set it up, and pretty much so do the other programs I've used with it - Reason 10 and Audition 8. The second one was that the device was seen as 16 bit in Win7, too, in CwB, and that installation used the proper drivers. Last one was that I had seen online other people mentioning the same problem with other soundcards. CwB sees the soundcard as 24 bit, but only for the device selection listed in the hardware menu as Audigy 24/96, which automatically switches the default sample sate to 96 KHz.

I also use a Focusrite Scarlett 2i4, 2nd gen, but I tend to mix on the Audigy, because it's connected to larger speakers, placed better in the room, while the Scarlett is connected to smaller nearfields, on my desk, in a corner, and I use it mostly to record, and do the stereo panning. As for the Scarlett, CwB sees it as 24 bit, but it's had the same problem with the update, namely the Plugin Load Balancing now takes up more CPU load - about 15% more - and the overall latency I had to increase, to avoid crackles - on Build 11, as compared to 9.

Update: I have installed the latest release - and I can't tell you how much I appreciate you coming up with frequent releases trying to fix the problems - but the results haven't pretty much changed at all, in relation to my previous post. Refreshing your memory:

- longer latency now being necessary for the program to work properly - on both soundcards;

- CPU load balancing now taking up more CPU than the unbalanced setting - on both - about 15% more, of the full100%;

- repeated crashes, of various modules, on performing different operations - it could be saving while playing - and it freezes - it could be collapsing tracks in the console view, expanding a channel, replacing an insert FX, basically you never know, and it tends to happen on performing operations while playing; it usually happens 2-3 times per session;

- randomly, the Softube Tape settings revert to default, by themselves, on various tracks, a few times a night, and have to be reloaded;

- the console emulator stops working, spontaneously, on random tracks, and has to be replaced to restart working;

- the playing of virtual instruments may stop all together - only the wave/audio tracks continue playing. On Stop and replay they recover;

- the program may stop playing any sound at all. This gets solved on closing/reopening the project.

I'm sorry I can't send you the Crash Dump files, I usually delete them, to free up hard drive space. But from now on, I'll keep them, and send them to you, and I hope they can help you figure out what's wrong.

Again, I appreciate your answer, and keep in touch. Have a great week!

Edited by Olaf
illiteracy :)

• 2 weeks later...

I ran into an issue a couple days ago that just started with the latest 2019.11 version.   Tempo Changes are causing my audio to pop/crackle on each tempo change.  I had to raise the ASIO buffer up to 1024 to stop the pops.  I've been running at 256 with the MOTU 4pre using USB for the past 7 or 8 years without any issues.  It plays fine at 256 as long as there isn't any tempo changes.  I'm doing orchestral work with about 100 tracks using mostly Kontakt 5.8 and SWAM libraries.  I also had just one audio track playing and had the same popping and crackling sounds.  It is really bad when I do ritards or accelerandos.   

I have installed all the latest hotfixes and rebuilt the aud.ini file.  The MOTU drivers for the 4 pre are over 4 years old and MOTU has not updated the drivers since then.  Any idea why tempo changes all of sudden are causing issues?

Jim

@Noel Borthwick did JST ever get back to you or anybody on the team to share their info regarding Cakewalk not recalling Toneforge Jason Richardson parameters?  They've still not released their promised update for the plugin itself (which may render the issue moot anyway once finally released, due to a change in how it handles parameters), but they were insistent that the issue with the current plugin was on Cakewalk's end.

I've given everyone everyone else's contact info, but haven't heard anything about anything.