2019.11 Feedback

Morten Saether

Hi, everyone.

After installing the 2019.11 release (hotfix included), playback got a lot worse on my Windows 10. In short:

- latency - one way trip - needed to be increased from 7 to 10 ms, with the buffer size increased to 512 kb, and it still crackles majorly with all plugins engaged - which it didn't before. So ASIO works worse;

- the CPU load balancing option checked now works worse than when it's unchecked. IDLE CPU load with the load balancing engaged is at around 66% (AMD FX-8350), and with the load balancing off it sits at around 51% ; with the balancing on, i can't play the project (see screenshots);

- many times, on reset of the sound engine it resets all the settings of the Softube Tape plugin (VST3) to default, which kind of makes every adjustment i make afterwards useless, if i don't notice it, because the sound changes. "Luckily", I usually notice it, because the impact is audible enough, even in a murky mix - and I need to reload all the settings on about 14 tracks, sometimes several times in a work session. To be honest, it did that before, but now it happens a lot more often;

- the channel console emulation on audio tracks stops working randomly, silencing the entire track, and only restarts on replacement, then it might crash again, etc.;

- sometimes the program fails to play all vst instruments (muted) - only audio tracks. On stop and restart, this is usually solved;

- sometimes the playing fails altogether - the cursor moves, the meters move, but no sound comes out;

- on two occasions the program stopped responding to any command, and kept playing - it needed to me closed from the Task Manager;

- on another occasion the screen space in the console went partially black, and the software, again, stopped responding (photo "Graphics");

- my Audigy 2 ZS is still only seen as 16 bit, in ASIO mode, and greyed out - this is one has been the same since my first installation, this summer;

- various crashes - an average of 2-3 per the 4 hour work session; various PC modules or VSTs usually responsible - this, too, has been a constant (I've attached photos).

The good news is for the first time, I have managed to get close to the sound I've been looking for in years. The bad news is all these crashes and failures, as well as the difficult playing is very frustrating.

Hope the info can help the developers.

Crash.jpg

Crash 2.jpg

Crash 3.jpg

Crash 4.jpg

Crash 5.jpg

CPU Load.jpg

CPU Load Balancing.jpg

Graphics.jpg

Hi @Olaf I'm sorry to hear about your issues. Even though it may seem that its related to the .11 release I suspect that they are coincidental, since many of the areas you had issues with have not changed in this release. Whats possible is that your audio setup got reset when you installed 11 initially and your audio settings changed. Other than that there are no changes to audio latency esp for ASIO. I suspect most of your issues may be related to your audio device if that is the only device you are using. The Audigy 2 is an end of life old device with no current Win 10 drivers.

What version of Cakewalk were you using prior to this update? If you send me a link to your minidump files (as listed in your screenshots) I can see if the crashes reveal any further information for troubleshooting. 

3 hours ago, Martin Vigesaa said:

I had mix control 3.4, updated to latest (3.7)  and still have the issue.
Setting the StopEngineOnPanelOpen value to true had no effect.

BandLab version was: 2019.11.0.54.   

I then installed the hotfix item:  "Download Hotfix RC for original 2019.11 release"  (was this the correct one?)
This updated it to:  "2019.11 (Build 63,64 bit)"  diplayed in Cakewalk Help>About menu and 25.11.0.63  appears after clicking Help>Check for update.

The BandLab Preferences > Mixing Latency setting has the following options: 32,64,128,256,512,1024,2048
Mix Control software has all of those plus the additional options: 48,96,192,384,786. 
Were the additional values simply removed from the BandLab Mixing Latency settings menu?  Should they appear as options?

@Martin Vigesaa Yes 25.11.0.63 is the correct build. Are you setting the latency from the slider in Preferences or by opening the manufacturer's ASIO panel (Click the  Asio Panel button)?
You should be able to set the latency from the ASIO panel. Please don't use the latency slider since it would appear that your driver has bugs handling it.

Remember also that Windows 10 build 1909 came out recently and if you updated to that around the same time as .11, it may be causing some or all of these problems (I "only" had to reinstall drivers for my Roland PCR-300 but others may be affected more).

Hi all,

After receiving the update notification for the past 3 weeks, I finally decided to do the update (I first wanted to complete a running project). 

I hit the update button in Bandlab Assistent. It downloaded the update, Windows10 than started to install. But just a few seconds after starting the install I receive the message "This installer will only update Cakewalk by Bandlab version 25.11.0.54". I only have an OK button. After clicking this button nothing happens (except for the install window that is being closed).

Anyone any suggestion on what to do? I currently have version "2019.09" of Cakewalk installed (as far as I know this was the latest version available in Assistent).

Kind regards,

Roderick

13 minutes ago, Roderick Gottgens said:

Hi all,

After receiving the update notification for the past 3 weeks, I finally decided to do the update (I first wanted to complete a running project). 

I hit the update button in Bandlab Assistent. It downloaded the update, Windows10 than started to install. But just a few seconds after starting the install I receive the message "This installer will only update Cakewalk by Bandlab version 25.11.0.54". I only have an OK button. After clicking this button nothing happens (except for the install window that is being closed).

Anyone any suggestion on what to do? I currently have version "2019.09" of Cakewalk installed (as far as I know this was the latest version available in Assistent).

Kind regards,

Roderick

You probably need to go to the Bandlab site and download it directly from there.

43 minutes ago, Roderick Gottgens said:

Hi all,

Kind regards,

Roderick

Hi Roderick,

Small hiccup from BandLab Assistant that should be fixed. Try running BA again now.

33 minutes ago, deepseasquid said:

Doing the same for me...I just downloaded newest version of Assistant...tells me a new version is available, then I update, and it gives the same error message about "will only update 25.11.0.54..."

I am running 2019.9 build 70, on Win 10

Thanks

@deepseasquidTry logging out of BandLab Assistant and back in. Then retry and see if it works. Its possible that the change could take a bit of time to propagate over the web. Where are you located?

Hi Noel,

Still getting the same error, after a few hours, and uninstalling BA then installing latest, signing in, etc. Still says can only update version 25.11.0.54....I don't want to uninstall Cakewalk as an option, as it depends on BA for the install, and I don't want to be left out in the rain without a working version of Cakewalk.  Please let me know if you have any ideas. Otherwise, I'll stick with the 9.2019 version I have and wait til a new Assistant version is created without this problem.

Thanks again for your help.

10 hours ago, Wookiee said:

@Martin Vigesaa Hi I understand you are having some issues with your Pro 40?

I have been using a Pro 40 for a number of years with S_Plat and now CbB perhaps I can help.

Firstly what Firewire Card are you using? Does it have a TI chip set?

It is the on board 1394 (I think it's the bold item below and looks like it would be VIA chipset?): 
And as someone, Noel? suggested, changing the Buffer Size using BandLab instead of the "Mix Control" software interface prevents the issue.  
The only loss I have is a few in-between Buffer size options so this issue is very minor for me now.  

PCI bus
    Intel 82566DC-2 Gigabit Network Connection
    Intel G33/G31/P35/P31 Express Chipset Processor to I/O Controller - 29C0
    Intel ICH9 Family SMBus Controller - 2930
    Motherboard resources
        Intel(R) G33/G31/P35/P31 Express Chipset PCI Express Root Port - 29C1
        Intel(R) ICH9 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 2937
        Intel(R) ICH9 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 2938
        Intel(R) ICH9 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 2939
        Intel(R) ICH9 Family USB2 Enhanced Host Controller - 293C
        High Definition Audio Controller
        Intel(R) ICH9 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 2934
        Intel(R) ICH9 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 2935
        Intel(R) ICH9 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 2936
        Intel(R) ICH9 Family USB2 Enhanced Host Controller - 293A
        Intel(R) 82801 PCI Bridge - 244E
                VIA 1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller
        Intel(R) ICH9DH LPC Interface Controller - 2912
        Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller
        Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller

22 hours ago, Noel Borthwick said:

@Martin Vigesaa Yes 25.11.0.63 is the correct build. Are you setting the latency from the slider in Preferences or by opening the manufacturer's ASIO panel (Click the  Asio Panel button)?
You should be able to set the latency from the ASIO panel. Please don't use the latency slider since it would appear that your driver has bugs handling it.

You are correct.  It used to work using the manufacturer's panel,  but now I will switch to only using the Preferences menu in BandLab.   It is actually easier to do it that way anyway.  Thanks for all the help. 

2 hours ago, deepseasquid said:

Hi Noel,

Still getting the same error, after a few hours, and uninstalling BA then installing latest, signing in, etc. Still says can only update version 25.11.0.54....I don't want to uninstall Cakewalk as an option, as it depends on BA for the install, and I don't want to be left out in the rain without a working version of Cakewalk.  Please let me know if you have any ideas. Otherwise, I'll stick with the 9.2019 version I have and wait til a new Assistant version is created without this problem.

Thanks again for your help.

@deepseasquid Sent you a message with a link.

Hi @Martin Vigesaa  If you can I would get a TI chip-set Firewire card.  Focusrite have always been very specific about using TI chip-set.  I have used two Focusrite Saffire firewire interfaces, my first was an older 26 I/O that was under 32 OS and currently I also use a Pro 40 over 3 different PC's always with a TI (Texas Instruments) Firewire card and I have never had an issue with either of the interfaces.

I found Startech cards to be very good, I had one go bad after 23 months they replaced it within 48 hrs.

Functionally I am running my Pro 40 with the Firewire Latency set to Small, and a ASIO buffer of 128 samples with a total round trip time of 7.9 msec's glitch free.  Most of the music I make is with Arturia's modelling synths which can be quite CPU heavy.