2019.11 Feedback

Morten Saether

2 hours ago, chris.r said:

Hi @Noel Borthwick I was only replying in reference to @Neil Cummins's issue. I didn't update to 2019.11 yet but I use T-RackS plugins and that made me feel involved with the issue. But since I'm still on the previous release I can check T-Racks' Linear Phase EQ now and after updating Cakewalk and give back the results. Stay tuned.

Just waiting for all fixes to get backed in... my presonal awkward approach that saved me lot's of trouble over the years ;).

Thanks chris.r,huviolan and Noel...to add a bit more detail..my Latency settings in the ASIO panel for the Scarlett Solo 3rd Gen are the same pre/post the .11 upgrade,ie 7.9 ms RTT.If I take a fresh project,import a single Audio clip in 4/4 time @80bpm,the said Linear Phase EQ when active causes audio transients and meter response to react about 1/2 beat behind the playhead position.Delay Compensation for plugins is set to True and PDC button is extinguished.When disabling the EQ in FX bin,the audio and meter response lines up with the playhead.I can't say definitively if some very small latency was present in .09 using this EQ,however it is very visible now.So I was just wondering if I need to make some adjustments in audio preferences to null this out.

Thanks for the constructive comments so far,an interesting one to crack.

Neil

8 hours ago, Noel Borthwick said:

@HeatherHaze @jesse g as you probably have discovered by now the reason for the display changes were because you had a workspace set that was globally overriding your settings. We're going to be doing some video's on workspaces to help explain this better as well.

Regarding full screen mode, we're planning on disconnecting that completely from workspaces or the project settings. FS mode should be only controlled by the button in the UI. Not sure if we will get to it for the hotfix but its on the radar.

This happened because on some systems  the installer and app got confused into thinking it was a first time install and launched the onboarding process which suggested the "Basic" workspace as well as may have defaulted to WASAPI.  As a result of this after installing  the  .11 release  the app was set up to run the basic workspace which sets up the initial view of the app. The user could have changed it in the onboarding process but if you zipped through it without reading the text then this is likely what happened.

I wanted to clarify that this was not intentional and we have fixed this for the upcoming hotfix, so very sorry for the inconvenience and confusion.   After installing .11 it should have been set to exactly the way you had Cbb set up. i.e if you had no workspace to start with it should have been left the same way. To go back to your preferred settings you have two choices. Either save versions  of a workspace that fits your workflow OR set the workspace to none, in which case it will no longer override settings. You can always go back and tweak a custom workspace later. 

Thanks Noel,

I appreciate you explaining this further.  I didn't have any workspaces set up, however, with the help of Heather Haze, I was able to get the matter resolved using Workspace.   

Keep up the good work you do for CbB !! 😎

Alright, latency here 128 samples = 6,8 msec RTL, PDC button lit (in the MIX module, right?)

Throwing TrackS LPEq with delay compensation enabled (in plugin properties, right?) on one of the tracks makes no audible issue until... I press bypass button on the plugin (vst3) because then I can clearly hear that track shifted against the others, just like Neil said only the difference is the track is playing ahead of the rest, not behind

Switching PDC button on/off seems making no difference

Am I missing any other place beside plugin properties where I can set the delay compensation on/off?

Cakewalk version 2019.07

10 hours ago, Noel Borthwick said:

This happened because on some systems  the installer and app got confused into thinking it was a first time install and launched the onboarding process which suggested the "Basic" workspace as well as may have defaulted to WASAPI.  As a result of this after installing  the  .11 release  the app was set up to run the basic workspace which sets up the initial view of the app. The user could have changed it in the onboarding process but if you zipped through it without reading the text then this is likely what happened.

Yes, my installer seemed to believe it was a first-time install.   But I selected "Advanced" for my workspace.  When I initially ran Cakewalk and pulled up a project (in "advanced" mode) all of my track icons had been reset to the basic grey defaults.  Yikes.   What I did was go through and manually set all the icons back the way I wanted them, then overwrote the Advanced workspace view with my preferences.  That sort of worked, but I noticed it was overriding my settings on other projects.  So then I discovered the "none" option and found that my projects all opened normally under that setting.  At this point I cannot seem to reproduce the problem I initially had of all the  track icons resetting.   

In any event, thanks so much for the awesome support.  It makes me very, very happy knowing Cakewalk is in such good hands.

10 hours ago, Noel Borthwick said:

@kagunmarx what freezing issue? I don't see any post from you describing this.

Sorry, I wrote in to support about it.

They told me to reply here.

After updating, the program keeps freezing, and I can't get anything done.

I had to revert back to the previous version.

Hi @kagunmarx thanks for your report. Your support case limited information other than the fact that you saw a hang. We will need a bit more to go on.
e.g What audio interface are you running, what version of Windows and is the hang happening on all your projects or a specific one.  What is your MIDI and audio buffer sizes. Can you explain when the hang occurs. Is it while playing back or recording? How reproducible is the hang - did it only happen once or is it reproducible? 

The only way we can diagnose hangs is if you send us a dump file when the application is in a hung state. There is information here about how to do this.
You will have to reinstall the .11 release and try and reproduce it again. 

For the hotfix we have identified a hang situation with recording and playing back MIDI. This is not a new issue but could be more likely to occur in 11 because of the lower MIDI buffer size. Its possible that you ran into this but without seeing a diagnostic dump I have no way to verify it. We have fixed this issue for the upcoming hotfix. If you would like to try it send me a PM and I will give you a download link. If it is the same hang you likely be able to avoid it by setting your MIDI buffer size to a higher number like 200 msec. 

I'd like to get to the bottom of this so we'd appreciate it if you could try and help us get some more data. 

14 hours ago, HeatherHaze said:

Yes, my installer seemed to believe it was a first-time install.   But I selected "Advanced" for my workspace.  When I initially ran Cakewalk and pulled up a project (in "advanced" mode) all of my track icons had been reset to the basic grey defaults.  Yikes.   What I did was go through and manually set all the icons back the way I wanted them, then overwrote the Advanced workspace view with my preferences.  That sort of worked, but I noticed it was overriding my settings on other projects.  So then I discovered the "none" option and found that my projects all opened normally under that setting.  At this point I cannot seem to reproduce the problem I initially had of all the  track icons resetting.   

In any event, thanks so much for the awesome support.  It makes me very, very happy knowing Cakewalk is in such good hands.

@HeatherHaze we couldn't reproduce the condition where the icon's get "reset" to the defaults. We did see a case where the icons could get hidden however.  We have modified the default workspaces to prevent that happening. Are you sure they were actually replaced rather than hidden? If so could you send us a project that exhibits this? Jon also sent you a PM yesterday about this.

BTW a caution, please don't rely on resaving over the default workspaces since ihe installer will overwrite them on next install. Rather you should save them as a new version by clicking the + button in the workspace manager and giving them a new name. (First select the workspace you want to change and then click the + button)

Thanks for your help.

16 hours ago, chris.r said:

PDC button lit (in the MIX module, right?)

The PDC button is PDC Override. It disables compensation on input-monitored tracks so that you can record a new part without experiencing latency. If you don't have input echo enabled on any audio tracks, it has no effect. Bypassing FX that induce PDC generally requires a restart of the transport to reset compensation.

In any case if you're still on 19.07, the issue doesn't belong in the 19.11 Feedback thread. 

I've found that selecting 'None' in Workspaces when it's already set to 'None' (because I'm not using them) causes the control bar to revert to the default configuration, but I don't see how that would happen automatically. If you are using a Workspace, make sure it's set to save the control bar layout.

Edited by David Baay

11 minutes ago, Rudy Abel Vocals said:

Cakewalk not retaining placement settings.

I'm having trouble where every time I enter a project everything in the GUI goes back to default mode.  The control bar loads everything. None of the controls stay collapsed or closed.  

This is because you have a workspace selected. All the factory workspaces have a specific control bar arrangement. When you open a project it inherits the global settings as set by the workspace. 

You have two choices:

1. Create a custom workspace that is set up with the exact arrangement that you prefer and select that workspace.

2. Select "None" as the workspace. In this mode it behaves just as before and it will retain whatever view layouts are set globally by the app and the loaded project file.

• Like 1