2019.11 Feedback

Morten Saether

48 minutes ago, Noel Borthwick said:

@Skyline_UK There should be no decrease in performance at a lower buffer size. If you change back to 128 do you still get clicking? If this worked in the 09 release I'm interested in troubleshooting this further with you. Also please indicate whether you changed the latency from the ASIO panel or from the latency slider in preferences.  
The RME devices do not handle the new dynamic ASIO changes. I assume that the latency slider is grayed out for you?
Also please enable StopEngineOnASIOPanelOpen for RME devices. I have an RME UFX and changing device settings from the ASIO panel doesn't apply changes properly unless this option is enabled. The driver requires ASIO to be completely stopped before a change is made from the panel. See below from the feature notes.

New ini setting StopEngineOnASIOPanelOpen

A few ASIO devices require that the host should not use the device while making changes to device settings. Some devices may display an error or gray out the controls in the ASIO panel while others may silently ignore changes. In prior versions of Cakewalk the only solution was to exit the app for such devices. In 2019.11 you can set the variable StopEngineOnPanelOpen in Preferences > Audio - Configuration File (second property in the list). Setting it to True will automatically stop and release the ASIO interface allowing you to change settings in Cakewalk. 

After making this change please try changing the ASIO latency from the panel back to 128 and see if it works well now.

Thanks Noel.  Yes, the latency   slider is grayed out.    I made those changes and   it seems to have solved the problem.      I think I still heard one or two small clicks, but I can't swear to it, but it's certainly a whole lot better.

Afterwards, out of curiosity I also  increased the  Playback Buffer  size from 128 to 256 .    I have my Cakewalk projects folder on my   SSD   OS  drive.     Would this make any  difference   anyway?    With  32GB of memory  will all the   Sample Tank,  Halion Sonic and  Addictive Drums samples be in memory anyway?     There are  ten tracks  of   MIDI.

Many thanks,

John 

The slider will be grayed out if the driver doesn't provide a range. 32 GB is plenty. I doubt you will have any issues. As far as clicks go there shouldn't be any worse performance in .11. If anything a few people reported improved low latency performance. The code also now handles buffer sizes as low as 16 samples properly. I can play with the focusrite 6i6 even at 16 samples without any clicks in a moderate project.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Jetrel said:

When I installed the new update it was working fine until I noticed that the driver was switched to FL Studio ASIO. It is when I switched back to Focusrite ASIO that I started to have all those crackles/distortion. I switched between drivers just to see if that will make any change. I usually work with the Focusrite ASIO and only switch to FL Studio ASIO driver if I want to record with OBS, somehow that is the only driver I can get to work with OBS. 🤨

And to answer your first question, I changed the buffer size via Focusrite software, not the new latency slider. But I will try the new slider, tbh I did not even knew that was a new addition in the preferences. 😶

EDIT: I tinkered with the new latency slider and it works like it should. What I did notice are 3 BSOD due to the Focusrite driver. When I try to change the buffer size to 16, no matter if it's via the Scarlett MixControl or the latency slider, I got stopcode: BAD_POOL_CALLER. I guess it's time to report the crash to the Focusrite guys.

Thanks for the help Noel! 

@Jetrel thanks, are you running the newest Focusrite driver? They fixed bluescreen issues in that update. There is still one bluescreen that happens if you turn off or unplug the device while in use. I have reported that to them. Just to clarify bluescreens in drivers are always the responsibility of the vendor to fix. Just like an application can crash, a bluescreen is caused by a crash in the driver code.

Regarding the driver switching, Cakewalk does not change the driver unless you ran the onboarding process on start. Did you get prompted to pick a driver on startup? If you had an existing CbB installation that shouldn't have happened by default. My guess is that the FL driver somehow messed up the focusrite settings because Cakewalk doesn't change the ASIO driver latency unless you go through the panel or the new latency slider is changed.

51 minutes ago, Noel Borthwick said:

@Jetrel thanks, are you running the newest Focusrite driver? They fixed bluescreen issues in that update. There is still one bluescreen that happens if you turn off or unplug the device while in use. I have reported that to them. Just to clarify bluescreens in drivers are always the responsibility of the vendor to fix. Just like an application can crash, a bluescreen is caused by a crash in the driver code.

Regarding the driver switching, Cakewalk does not change the driver unless you ran the onboarding process on start. Did you get prompted to pick a driver on startup? If you had an existing CbB installation that shouldn't have happened by default. My guess is that the FL driver somehow messed up the focusrite settings because Cakewalk doesn't change the ASIO driver latency unless you go through the panel or the new latency slider is changed.

Indeed it's vendor's responsibility, and I've reported the issue. I am running a first gen Scarlett 18i6 with the latest drivers and so far these have been my first BSODs on this build and with that interface since I got it. 

As for the latest update, I did get prompted to pick a driver on startup and I did had CbB previously installed on my system. 

I just installed 2019.11 and the first song I loaded had some problems. First I copied the lead and harmony vocal tracks to 2 new tracks, which were setup for an Aux Track mix. I then copied 1 word from a previous vocal and pasted it to the final vocal and that one word was there but yet it was muted. I thought the clip was muted and muted it and unmuted it to no avail. Then I redid the paste and this time it worked. I chalked this up to a weird anomaly. 

A few minutes later, my harmony vocal track, which was working before I think, was muted. I again tried muting and unmuting the clip to no avail. I then thought this must be a new bug, so I saved the song and opened it in 2019.09 and the harmony track was not muted. I finished my work and then reopened 2019.11 and the same song and the track was not muted This time when I opened 2019.11 I got this "Welcome to Bandlab" window which I definitely did not see the first time I opened CbB. I went though and checked all the settings and they were fine.

I'm done with this song so I won't be working on it anymore, unless Bandlab wants a bun or for me to try something. Has anyone else had any strange muting like this? I've never seen this with any version of CbB or Platinum.

While playing thru a play list, Big Time freezes up when going between songs.  Whatever the previous song ended at, is what's displayed in Big Time and remains statically frozen.  Otherwise the song displays correctly, plays correctly, and now time updates correctly.  I save every song with a screenset that shows Big Time at the bottom and use it as a visual click.

Hi guys,

My experience with the latest build - before the fix - just as a small contribution to the developers:

- the songs won't play with CPU load balancing activated - i get engine stops as a reaction to each "play". They work with the load balancing deactivated, but I had to increase the latency from 7 ms - one way, to 10. Computer is AMD FX 8350, 16 GB RAM.

- my PCI soundcard - Audigy 2 ZS, native 24 bit - is still seen as 16 bit, and the bit depth greyed out (in Windows its default is 24 bit);

- switching to an secondary driver ([AF00] 24/96) sees it as 24 bit, but only 96 KHz, as the name says, and increases the latency requirements - over the increased sample rate, no doubt;

- changing the settings in the Preferences - souncard Control Panel, sometimes freezes the software, on Apply and Close;

- the Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 2nd gen is seen as 24 bit, but I had the same problem with the CPU load balancing, on the latest build;

- the overall CPU meter levels, on both soundcards, seem to be higher.

Hope this helps. Love the program, looking forward to a solution to the ASIO recognition/speed thing.

Edited by Olaf
addition

7 hours ago, gmp said:

I just installed 2019.11 and the first song I loaded had some problems. First I copied the lead and harmony vocal tracks to 2 new tracks, which were setup for an Aux Track mix. I then copied 1 word from a previous vocal and pasted it to the final vocal and that one word was there but yet it was muted. I thought the clip was muted and muted it and unmuted it to no avail. Then I redid the paste and this time it worked. I chalked this up to a weird anomaly. 

A few minutes later, my harmony vocal track, which was working before I think, was muted. I again tried muting and unmuting the clip to no avail. I then thought this must be a new bug, so I saved the song and opened it in 2019.09 and the harmony track was not muted. I finished my work and then reopened 2019.11 and the same song and the track was not muted This time when I opened 2019.11 I got this "Welcome to Bandlab" window which I definitely did not see the first time I opened CbB. I went though and checked all the settings and they were fine.

I'm done with this song so I won't be working on it anymore, unless Bandlab wants a bun or for me to try something. Has anyone else had any strange muting like this? I've never seen this with any version of CbB or Platinum.

@gmp none of this would be specific to 2019.11. No changes in that area.  How did you switch between 2019.09 and 2019.11 - did you uninstall and reinstall?

I save a copy of the cakewalk folder and name it - cakewalk 2019 09. And then make a shortcut to cakewalk.exe and put it on my desktop. The folder is only about 147 megs. I have most of the versions of CbB saved in this way just in case I run into a bug or problem. scook taught me this trick.

Maybe the strange behavior I encountered is a one off. If it happens again, we can dig into it further.  Or if someone else reports it, then we know it's a bug.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, gmp said:

I save a copy of the cakewalk folder and name it - cakewalk 2019 09. And then make a shortcut to cakewalk.exe and put it on my desktop. The folder is only about 147 megs. I have most of the versions of CbB saved in this way just in case I run into a bug or problem. scook taught me this trick.

I am not sure a simple copy of the CbB program folder still works and no longer recommend the practice. As a result of changes made in 2019-09, I modified my tool to keep track of more than the program folder. My tool thread is here.

43 minutes ago, scook said:

I am not sure a simple copy of the CbB program folder still works and no longer recommend the practice. As a result of changes made in 2019-09, I modified my tool to keep track of more than the program folder. My tool thread is here.

Thanks for the info. I installed Cakewalk Launchpad and will start using it for saving old versions - thanks

39 minutes ago, gmp said:

Thanks for the info. I installed Cakewalk Launchpad and will start using it for saving old versions - thanks

If you start using Launchpad to save versions, it should always be used to run CbB. This way the version is set up properly. It you need more details or help, please post in the tools thread...thanks.

Hello All,

I received a message that there was a New CbB update while opening CbB .  I selected Update,  closed out of CbB  the update went smooth.

I then re-opened CbB and it opened  in Full Screen in Track View!!.    NOOO!!  

I have Dual Monitors so my Console is on the right screen and the Track View is on the Left screen, however it opened in one large Track View across both screens.  

Here's the disappointing part.  No matter how many times I try to save my Normal Mix.cwt  to what I had it before with the Dual Monitor View, it will not save. 

As soon as the Cakewalk Start Screen opens and I select New Project > Normal Mix.cwt, I get this long track view across both screens again.  YUCK.

CbB what did you do????   Not only that, but all of my previous projects that have been saved for years are now opening across both screens in the track view. 

Can you Guys check this out if you have Dual Monitors?

I've been having ASIO problems since installing the 2019.11 update.  I later installed the HotFix and but still having same issues.

Before installing I had my latency set somewhere over 20msec and rarely had dropout issues.
Now Cakewalk is almost unusable - even with Buffer Size/Latency maxed (as shown below) I can play some projects and not others.
Case in point - I've got one project that has one audio track (electric guitar) that has IK Multimedia's Amplitube 4 loaded using the "Live Magic 1986" patch from the Brian May Collection and it won't play for over a second without stopping due to 'Audio Engine Dropout'. 
This wasn't an issue before the 2019.11 update, I could use any patch in the BM Collection with no dropouts.

image.png.817c8ab2c07d25738f4d38d21d323e9b.png

Also...
I installed 3 Waves v11 plugins this weekend - 1 new, 2 upgrades;  I have Mercury so I have a ton of v10's but will not be ugrading them for a while.
The first time I rescanned my plugins it took a lot longer that usually, with the scanner pausing 1 -3 seconds on every Wave plugin (v10 & v11). After 20 minutes I gave up waiting and left to watch Netflix. Rescans are speedy as previous.

Edited by TheSteven

21 hours ago, jesse g said:

Hello All,

I received a message that there was a New CbB update while opening CbB .  I selected Update,  closed out of CbB  the update went smooth.

I then re-opened CbB and it opened  in Full Screen in Track View!!.    NOOO!!  

I have Dual Monitors so my Console is on the right screen and the Track View is on the Left screen, however it opened in one large Track View across both screens.  

Here's the disappointing part.  No matter how many times I try to save my Normal Mix.cwt  to what I had it before with the Dual Monitor View, it will not save. 

As soon as the Cakewalk Start Screen opens and I select New Project > Normal Mix.cwt, I get this long track view across both screens again.  YUCK.

CbB what did you do????   Not only that, but all of my previous projects that have been saved for years are now opening across both screens in the track view. 

Can you Guys check this out if you have Dual Monitors?

I had the same thing happen and it also freaked me out at first.  Apparently there's a new feature called Workspaces.  Now here's the good news.  You can set up your workspace and save it the way you want it, and all your previous projects will open in that workspace.  Look up in the right hand corner of the Cakewalk window, parallel to the File - Edit - Views... etc. menu bar.  There's a little dropdown window with options for managing workspaces.  Fix your workspace the way you want it, then click  New Workspace.    I made a new "Heather's Workspace" and now I'm good to go.   My projects now open the way I'm used to seeing them.  I think it's going to be a useful feature but it definitely had me raging there for a minute.

Good luck!

Edited by HeatherHaze
Borked the formatting.
  • Thanks 1

I am having issues with playback since updating.

This seems to happen with Audio or Instruments. When playing back, the audio on a single instrument or audio track with plugins will intermittently cutout at certain points and start playing again after a few seconds. Normally this would suggest that I either have a bad plugin or a plugin which uses a lot of CPU (Mastering EQ type), but in these cases these are plugin which I use daily and wouldn't cause this issue.

I also get a lot of intermittent cracking when playing as well.

I then recreated the same song in Reaper, with the settings (Sample Rates etc), same Audio stems, instruments, midi, and plugin without any issues, no drop-out's in audio or cracking at any part of play back.

I use Pre-Sonus AudioBoxiTwo interface, i7 8700k overclocked at 5g, 48 gigs memory, and my projects are on a SSD drive (If that means much).

Any help appreciated. :)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HeatherHaze said:

I had the same thing happen and it also freaked me out at first.  Apparently there's a new feature called Workspaces.  Now here's the good news.  You can set up your workspace and save it the way you want it, and all your previous projects will open in that workspace.  Look up in the right hand corner of the Cakewalk window, parallel to the File - Edit - Views... etc. menu bar.  There's a little dropdown window with options for managing workspaces.  Fix your workspace the way you want it, then click  New Workspace.    I made a new "Heather's Workspace" and now I'm good to go.   My projects now open the way I'm used to seeing them.  I think it's going to be a useful feature but it definitely had me raging there for a minute.

Good luck!

Thanks Hazel,

It worked like a charm.   Although I like the old way better, it's  works.

8 hours ago, jesse g said:

Thanks Hazel,

It worked like a charm.   Although I like the old way better, it's  works.

You're welcome.  I recently found a new problem, with a new solution.  The problem is that even though I managed to get my workspace looking more or less right, all my track icons have reset.  What a pain in the  *****!  So the new solution is to set my workspace to "none" and it appears that my projects load in normally without trying to apply a new workspace.  Much better and simpler solution.  Unfortunately I've already resaved a couple projects with tons of track icons, so now I have to go reset all those.  Oh well...

Over the past several months I have been working on designing some personal Workspaces [formerly Lenses]. For the past week I have been using a something I got from another user--locked screen sets.  It seems to be helping me to move things around in a project and then return to my desired visual arrangement.  Not sure if this will work for you (if you haven't tried it yet), but maybe.  

Workspaces are global and Screen sets are per project,. So, in several projects I have saved my preferred initial screen set in slot 01. and locked it. I also make an unlocked copy in another slot so if I tweak it, I have both the original locked version and the one I last had prior to saving the project.

I am still experimenting but thought this might be useful.

BTW, I trying to figure out where the width of the control bar (collapsed or expanded) gets restored from--or if there is a bug (sometimes it gets restored properly; sometimes I have to manually expand it and then collapse it).

6 hours ago, HeatherHaze said:

. . all my track icons have reset.  

I usually just use the default track icons, so I just tested this by changing two if my icons. Depending on which Workspace I chose, either the track icons were shown or hidden. If shown, the new ones were there.  It seems to me that specific track icons are saved with different projects, not screen sets or Workspaces. Now that you mentioned this issue, maybe I will start using custom icons.