2019.11 Feedback

Morten Saether

Cakewalk what is launched via BandLab Assistant "Open" button is gone by quitting BandLab Assistant. (I don't know this specific to 2019.11 or not)

1. Click Cakewalk "Open" at Apps tab on BandLab Assistant
  2. Cakewalk is launched.
  3. Quit BandLab Assistant in the gear icon settings.
  4. Cakewalk is gone... (If the start screen is open, it remains)
  • Thanks 1

Im using onboard (realtek) sound, with driver mode = WASAPI shared 44.1.

This has always worked fine, but after this update, I hear constant distortion/crackle/noise.

I noticed if I set the sampling rate to 48k, it plays fine though.

EDIT: Even stranger... the distortion is only on tracks with FX (Pro channel, VST, VSTi). Audio tracks without FX are fine

EDIT 2: I reverted back to 2019.09 and everything is good again

Edited by Funk

17 minutes ago, Morten Saether said:

The record bit depth is configured in Preferences > File - Audio Data, and only affects new projects.

Shouldn't this read -

The record bit depth is configured in Preferences > File - Audio Data, and only affects new recordings

Record bit depth is a global setting, not a per-project setting. Projects may have clips at different bit depths.

1 hour ago, scook said:

I have not tested soft synth audio recording but my guess is any time audio is recorded, it is performed at the current record bit depth.

Bounced, exported and frozen audio uses the render bit depth setting.

These values may be set at any time.

Unlike sample rate, projects may have audio clips at different bit depths.

Wow, now I'm puzzled.

So I have, for example, a 24-bit VST Piano, I record a midi track with it, I export as 24bit WAV, but internally CbB is reducing it to 16 bits in the middle of this whole process?
So all this time I've been generating fake 24-bit tracks (actually 16 bits internally)?

3 hours ago, Rogério said:

Wow, now I'm puzzled.

So I have, for example, a 24-bit VST Piano, I record a midi track with it, I export as 24bit WAV, but internally CbB is reducing it to 16 bits in the middle of this whole process?
So all this time I've been generating fake 24-bit tracks (actually 16 bits internally)?

Think of record bit depth as the bit depth that have to do with audio you record with your audio interface line in.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, scook said:

I can find no reference to Toontrack releasing this in VST3 format. I usually only install VST3 when given the choice and I only have the VST2 format installed. Just ran the update to be sure. Can't say anything about the other Toontrack plug-ins, SD3 is the only one I own.

You’re right Steve. Whilst all the Toontrack Plugins were Installed into the default VST3 path they are in fact all VST2. Weird. I cant explain how the plugins were installed incorrectly. Like you, if given the choice to install VST3s I choose them in preference to VST2s. Cakewalk accurately allocated the plugins as VST2s. I’ve been completely confused by their location. Obviously the plugins don’t have the VST3 extension in the file name.

Still there is a problem regarding a situation where both VST2 and VST3 versions of the same plugins exist on the system. CbB will not recognise the VST3s. Eg Waves VST3 plugins (I have them all) were not recognised by CbB until I renamed the waveshell file for VST2 plugins so it wasn’t scanned. I’m having a similar problem with the latest version of (EWQL) Play which now doesn’t load at all  despite renaming the VST2 version so it doesn’t scan  Renaming a plugin refers to appending “.old” extension to prevent scanning without deleting the file altogether.

I have confirmed this to be the case regardless of the Preference settings “Hide related VST2 plugins and/or Replace if possible on project load”. 

11 hours ago, Noel Borthwick said:

If they show up in your VST2 menu then there is definitely a VST2 plugin in your path.
You can check the registry key to see what dll its pointing to.

For example:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cakewalk Music Software\Cakewalk\Cakewalk VST X64\Inventory\c:/program files/Cakewalk/vstplugins/SI-Bass Guitar/SI-Bass Guitar.dll

The FullPath value in this case shows "c:\program files\Cakewalk\vstplugins\SI-Bass Guitar\SI-Bass Guitar.dll"

You can also look at the path by viewing the plugin properties from the effects window after inserting the plugin (from the VST2 dropdown).

Thanks Noel. I’m aware of all this and did all these things before posting. My initial problem was regarding the Waves VST2 plugins showing up despite having VST3 plugins installed as well. The Toontrack plugin “problem” only came to light as I investigated further. See further on in this post.

As per my reply to Scook, That’s been the problem as the VSTscan log clearly shows that the Toontrack VST2s were installed into the VST3 default path. Have no idea why. Ive fixed that by moving the effected “.dll” files to their appropriate VST2 path and Resetting/Rescanning.  

However - There is a problem regarding a situation where both VST2 and VST3 versions of the same plugins exist on the system. CbB will not recognise the VST3s. Eg Waves VST3 plugins (I have them all) were not recognised by CbB until I renamed the waveshell file for VST2 plugins so it wasn’t scanned. I’m having a similar problem with the latest version of (EWQL) Play which now doesn’t load at all  despite renaming the VST2 version so it doesn’t scan. Renaming a plugin refers to appending “.old” extension to prevent scanning without deleting the file altogether.

I have confirmed this to be the case regardless of the Preference settings “Hide related VST2 plugins and/or Replace if possible on project load”. 

I need to check other programs I have to see whether this is a CbB or global problem with my installations.

BTW I’m on the very latest Win 10 Pro 1909 update And CbB 2019.11 update having previously run Early access 2019.11 when I uncovered the problem.

Further info.

I’ve checked all my other duplicate VST2 and VST3 installations and it seems that only Waves V11 were effected.  ie. not respecting the:

Preference settings “Hide related VST2 plugins and/or Replace if possible on project load”.

Possibly a waveshell or update to V11 problem. The only way forward is to create a special VST2Plugins folder for just the Waves plugins and leave that folder out of the CbB VST scan path. This will make the VST2 versions available for a few programs I have, that are  not yet able to make use of VST3 plugins.

Edited by Michael Vogel

8 hours ago, Funk said:

Im using onboard (realtek) sound, with driver mode = WASAPI shared 44.1.

This has always worked fine, but after this update, I hear constant distortion/crackle/noise.

I noticed if I set the sampling rate to 48k, it plays fine though.

EDIT: Even stranger... the distortion is only on tracks with FX (Pro channel, VST, VSTi). Audio tracks without FX are fine

I am having same issue on Win 10 WASAPI shared...built-in conexant sound card...crackles and distortion only on audio tracks with fx. Playback is 24/44.1.  There was never a problem with earlier builds of Cakewalk. Reverted back to 2019.9....and all is good.

• Thanks 1

Just a passing observation,I have  started to experience playback latency on some existing audio-only projects,however the same clips re-imported into a fresh project playback normally.

All my audio settings(via Focusrite Solo 3rd Gen)are as before the 2019.11 update.

Anything more esoteric that I may need to check here?

BR//

Neil

Hi,

As soon as I updated Cakewalk last night, it was immediately apparent that it wasn't working properly. I'm not very tech-savvy with most of this, so pls forgive my descriptions if they sound a bit basic.

The first three issues I've experienced are fairly core to its primary function, in my view:- Audio playback has crackle / distortion throughout -- I've tested this with headphones and through speakers, with the same effect. I've tested multiple projects, same thing. I've muted tracks, which only reduces the distortion, it doesn't remove it altogether, because it happens when there's any sound with any discernible volume. The only time it isn't present is when there's hardly anything playing and/or hardly any overall volume. The crackle isn't present for any other audio played through my PC via any other software or platform, it's specific to Cakewalk. Additionally, when any or all tracks from the project are exported as wav or mp3 or whatever, they sound exactly as they should;

- During playback, projects become out of sync. Weirder still, random tracks become out of sync at different rates - i.e. my kick track and my bass track will both go out of sync, but then they'll go out of sync with each other, then my keys will go out of sync with both of them, but other tracks will stay perfectly in sync throughout;

- My preferred control bar settings keep getting lost every time I load a new project or close and reopen Cakewalk;

I've restarted my PC multiple times but the problems have not resolved. I have projects I need to keep working on, but really can't with all this going on. Everything was completely fine up until I last closed out of Cakewalk before the update.

Bandlab Help folks haven't given me any info that helps as yet. Any thoughts? Please help!

Cheers,
Matt

10 hours ago, Funk said:

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but what's the best way to do this? The Bandlab Help ppl told me I couldn't rollback to the previous release. Do I have to go through the whole palaver of uninstalling Cakewalk altogether, then reinstalling it and basically starting again?

44 minutes ago, Matt Dunn said:

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but what's the best way to do this? The Bandlab Help ppl told me I couldn't rollback to the previous release. Do I have to go through the whole palaver of uninstalling Cakewalk altogether, then reinstalling it and basically starting again?

@Matt Dunn - can you try the following:

1. Close down Cakewalk
2. In Windows explorer, go to %APPDATA%\Cakewalk\Cakewalk Core\
3. Rename AUD.INI to AUD.INI.bak
4. Restart Cakewalk

This will reset your audio settings.

Once you're in Cakewalk, go to Preferences and make sure your settings are what you need them to be within:

• Audio / Audio Driver Settings - particularly Audio Driver Bit Depth
  • File / Folder Locations
  • File / Audio Data - particularly, the Global Audio Folder, Picture Folder and File Bit depths.