2019.11 Feedback

Morten Saether

I'm having issues with a  lot of clicking and popping throughout my current project (it was okay before the update)
Is the MIDI buffer size relevant to my problem?     And is 50 considered the best setting as far as the safest vs fastest setting?
On the Help page for the setting it shows it set at 500 (even if that was from an older version of Cakewalk/Sonar.
I tried several numbers from 20 to 500, but still getting some crackling.   I froze a couple of VSTi tracks and that helped a little.

Yes, I was able to remove the MAGIX driver.

The other thing is, I used to have all my project settings at 44000 Khz/16 bits.   But lately I have it set to 48000 Khz/24 bits because I read it's a better setting for less  digital distortion at louder volumes. 
Maybe I should just go back to the lower sample/bit rates?

The one thing I tried so far that helped reduce most of the clicking is turning the Mixing Latency Buffer Size all the way up to 2048 samples (where I normally have it set to 512).    the Effective Latency at 48KHz is 42.7 msec.   I honestly don't know if that's good or bad.  I'm just trying to get through a project without all the clicking/popping.

Thanks for the warning about Windows and Focusrite.   I've been thinking about getting a new interface because this one has always given me problems.
For example, many times switching from using my DAW to listening to audio online, will cause the interface to screw up and I won't hear any audio.  I have to repeatedly reset the unit and reboot. 

Anyway, I tried switching the sample rate.  Right now it's set to 48/16 with buffer set back to 512.  I hardly heard any pops with that setting.
But you suggested staying with 24bits.  Would a configuration of 44000/24bits be worth trying?
And why do you suggest staying 24 bits as opposed to 16?

Thanks for your patience and help.  I appreciate it.  Even though I've been at this for many many years, all these settings still confuse me.  I understand what the numbers do in theory, but all the various setting (in combination with each other) can be overwhelming to me sometimes.

Thanks, I'm going to have to print that out.   I've studied this type of information many times before, trying to get a solid handle on the practical application of these settings, but my old brain doesn't always retain all of it.  I was always bad with numbers. LOL.

Any suggestions for an inexpensive 1 or 2 input interface?  I'd settle for anything that works properly with Win 10.

Problem from Early Access 2019.11 persists in update.

Waves V11 VST3 and VST2 installed only VST2 showing in Cakewalk. Had to uninstall VST2 before all my VST3 V11 Plugins show properly.

Toontrack Superior Drummer V3 and EZMix, and EZKeys etc. I only have VST3 installed but all Toontrack programs show in menus and the Plugin Manager as VST2. When i load the plugins I see a VST2 drop down. Don’t understand this as only VST 3 installed ion the computer. 

I haven’t tried other plugins yet but it’s very weird. Add EWQL Play to the list only when deleting VST2 version the VST3 version doesn’t appear in the Manager or menus. It’s in its installation directory as expected.

Is it a Win 10 latest update problem? Or CbB?

Edited by Michael Vogel

In the German Version there is no new Command "help < Get started" to start the onboard Wizzard. There is still the old "Hilfe < Erste Schritte" (help < first steps) wich leads to a Bandlab webpage. So, no way to start onboard wizzard without changing to English language. And "Workspaces" is not translated, it still remains "Brennweiten" (what is not the very best translation of "lenses" btw).

However, small detail, but the onboard wizzard is quite useful for a newbie in Germany, too 😏.

No big deal to implant the command, isn't it?

Thanks for your steady good work

Cheers 🎅

Edited by mkerl
bad grammar

3 hours ago, Michael Vogel said:

Problem from Early Access 2019.11 persists in update.

Waves V11 VST3 and VST2 installed only VST2 showing in Cakewalk. Had to uninstall VST2 before all my VST3 V11 Plugins show properly.

Toontrack Superior Drummer V3 and EZMix, and EZKeys etc. I only have VST3 installed but all Toontrack programs show in menus and the Plugin Manager as VST2. When i load the plugins I see a VST2 drop down. Don’t understand this as only VST 3 installed ion the computer. 

I haven’t tried other plugins yet but it’s very weird. Add EWQL Play to the list only when deleting VST2 version the VST3 version doesn’t appear in the Manager or menus. It’s in its installation directory as expected.

Is it a Win 10 latest update problem? Or CbB?

This sounds like something with your scan might be off. I have both Waves v11 and the Toontrack stuff on my system, and they're displaying normally here. Have you done a full reset/rescan? Also check if something is blocking the scan from completing (like if a plugin is causing a prompt that you're not catching).

It’s really weird  With the Toontrack plugins, I’ve reset the plugin database and scanned again and have a log file. It clearly shows the plugin files are in the correct Program Files/Common/VST3 folders but nonetheless continue to show up in VST2 menus etc. 

The plugins work fine they are just in the wrong menus  

i’ve even uninstalled the plugins, deleted the Registry key for the Cakewalk VST hive, reinstalled and it’s still the same. I’ve restarted the system to clear any possible memory issues. 
in the plugin Browser window, those plugins are a different Color tone than other VST2s. I’ll have to organise some screenshots. Sorry I haven’t done more yet to follow up.
This caught by complete surprise 3 days ago when  I installed the Early Access 2019.11.54 file. It had not been like this with 2019.7. I had to install 2019.09 to permit the Early Access installation but I never ran that version.  I went straight from 2019.07 to 2019.11
I run Cubase 10,5, Studio One Pro 4.5 and a few other programs that use VST plugins so my next step is to check them to see if this is a global or CbB specific issue. 

Edited by Michael Vogel

If they show up in your VST2 menu then there is definitely a VST2 plugin in your path.
You can check the registry key to see what dll its pointing to.

For example:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cakewalk Music Software\Cakewalk\Cakewalk VST X64\Inventory\c:/program files/Cakewalk/vstplugins/SI-Bass Guitar/SI-Bass Guitar.dll

The FullPath value in this case shows "c:\program files\Cakewalk\vstplugins\SI-Bass Guitar\SI-Bass Guitar.dll"

You can also look at the path by viewing the plugin properties from the effects window after inserting the plugin (from the VST2 dropdown).

8 hours ago, Michael Vogel said:

Toontrack Superior Drummer V3

I can find no reference to Toontrack releasing this in VST3 format. I usually only install VST3 when given the choice and I only have the VST2 format installed. Just ran the update to be sure. Can't say anything about the other Toontrack plug-ins, SD3 is the only one I own.

• Like 1