Staff view drives me mad

jieva

I do most of my work in staff view.  In older Cakewalks there was an option of snap to grid.  In the newer bandlab version it seems to be set at a 32nd note.  This is slowing me down by a long way and I would be very happy if the snap function could return.

Also the duration  selection    used to automatically change if you touched and clicked a previous note in the score.  That was very helpful indeed.  This seems to have been removed.

And lastly why is there no erase function in the staff window.  If find it very awkward   to leave the staff window to select the erase tool in the   main tool bar.

Please can we have the previous functionality back.  I know that you can move the now time to the exact position for the note but that is very laborious  indeed.

Having an erase in the staff toolbar would be a bonus.

Kind regards

Jim

And while you're at it, it would be cool if you could select multiple notes in Staff view (Control + select with mouse) and then right click to bring up the parameters window (i.e. note or velocity) and allow the change to affect all notes simultaneously.

Staff view is my favorite view as well.

On 11/26/2019 at 2:47 PM, jieva said:

I do most of my work in staff view.  In older Cakewalks there was an option of snap to grid.  In the newer bandlab version it seems to be set at a 32nd note.  This is slowing me down by a long way and I would be very happy if the snap function could return.

I Jieva. I use a lot the staff view myself...and I know about all the potential improvements to be made for a better workflow...but you and me know that this is not one of the  core purposes of this software, and that's why since long time ago I decided to live with what it is...But, going ti your question ....If I am not missunderstanding you, what you are asking for is something  you can get just going to the view menu in the staff view, and there, "display resolution". There you can set the snap to grid preference for the input of the notes without having to positioning your cursor exactly at the required time on the bar. That of course is going to change momentarily the graphical display of notes with a shorter time duration, but at the end, you can set this resolution to the minor duration existent at your staff to have all notes showing the exact duration and positioning. 

Also the duration  selection    used to automatically change if you touched and clicked a previous note in the score.  That was very helpful indeed.  This seems to have been removed.

About this...I am on the latest update (2019.11) and I could check that if you touch one note and draw a ñew one, this has the duration of the last touched note.... Is that what is not working on your version??

And lastly why is there no erase function in the staff window.  If find it very awkward   to leave the staff window to select the erase tool in the   main tool bar.

Related to this..(and maybe you know it already, but just in case...) , you can delete notes just lazo-selecting them with the righ mouse button presed, and then presing delete, or presing delete while left clicking over the note. This are laternatives to the selection of the erase rubber located on top on the control bar, if you find it unconfortable to your workflow.

Please can we have the previous functionality back.  I know that you can move the now time to the exact position for the note but that is very laborious  indeed.

Kind regards

Jim

And, if I missundertud any of your comments/request or you already know what I am suggesting....my apologies !

And...regards from Argentina

Hugo

• Like 1

Hi, I'd like to add one could follow the Time and pitch locator (*) as a workaround, as snap function doesn't seem to work well in Staff View. Also I think snap will actually work if you use it, as a note dropped on 12:01:700 will be set at 12:01:720, for example.

(*) More about Time and pitch locator / Cursor position: https://www.cakewalk.com/Documentation?product=Cakewalk&language=3&help=Views.28.html

Also, in relation to the Erase tool, one could always press 'T' key to call floating Tool module.

EDIT: Also, in relation to select multiple notes, on Toddskin's comment, one could use Select tool and hold Shift key while right clicking on selected notes (*) (this will do the trick)!

(*) Actually one should right click on an empty space on Staff View while holding Shift key to do the trick!

Edited by mgustavo
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, mgustavo said:

EDIT: Also, in relation to select multiple notes, on Toddskin's comment, one could use Select tool and hold Shift key while right clicking on selected notes (this will do the trick)!

I just tried your suggestion and it does not work.  I used the selection tool (which looks like a capital I), held the Shift key down and dragged across a whole group of notes (one following the other), then right clicked to bring up the parameters window, and typed in a new velocity and clicked OK.

The change only happened on the last note selected.  All the other notes remained blue (selected), so I did not accidentally cause the other notes to become deselected.  Only the last note dragged on got the change applied to it.

Tried again, but this time chose a new note value to change them all to, but again, only the last note selected was changed.

Edited by Toddskins

Hi, Toddskins

Sorry I misunderstood your question! If you want to change parameters on Note properties dialog box the Shift key workaround won't work!

What I meant to say is that if you press Shift and right click on an empty space on Staff View that will bring context menu with some options like Transpose, Length, Scale velocity, Quantize as well as MIDI FX menu.
Sorry for my bad grammar! : /

Also you could change note parameters of multiple notes using the Event Inspector module on Control Bar.

I hope this help!

Edited by mgustavo

All Thanks for the Tips.  I am on the latest version and   touching the last note does not change duration to last touched for me.  In X3 this was available as a setting in durations IE

Use note duration value from last touched note

When inserting new Note events, you can choose to always apply the note duration from the last touched Note event. To do so, select  Last Touched in the Value control drop-down menu. Before inserting a new Note event, select an existing Note event that already uses the duration you want to apply to the new note, then insert the new note.

Maybe there is a reg setting that still works even if the option has gone.  Is there a LastTouched reg entry or similar in older versions ?

The note entry does snap but it always snaps to a 32nd.

Not really asking for anything new just put back what was taken out

• 1 year later...
On 11/26/2019 at 9:47 AM, jieva said:

Kind regards

Jim

I've been working in the staff view since the early 1990s.   The snap issues have all been fixed quite a while ago.  Make sure that your snap function is ON and that you've set the SNAP TO or SNAP FROM length to what you want (i.e. 16th note, eighth note, etc.).  Remember that the snap function is independent of note values.  If you want to enter, say, a 16th note, but the SNAP value is on 8th note triplets, you'll have a problem.  What I do is usually default the SNAP value to either an eighth or 16th note and if I need to enter triplets or some other value non-divisible by 2 or 4, I change it. 

The erasing of notes in the staff view is very easy.  just lasso the notes you want to erase and press delete on your keyboard. 

The duration selection does still automatically change if you touch and click on a note, it will go to that note length and velocity.  It has not been removed (I'm using latest version).  But you have to turn it on.  Bottom of the note value selection list.

Jerry