Save a whopping 20% off Pro Tools!

cclarry

5 hours ago, InstrEd said:

Friends don't let Friends buy Pro Tools 🙂

Pro Tools is fine. Just buy perpetual and avoid the subscription (and never upgrade your perpetual license to a subscription - ever - cause you'll lose the perpetual license).

Other than that, there are more reasons to go with it than to avoid it, because it is so good within the niche it specializes; while improving in others.

I would not get a subscription, even on a discount, though.  You'll have to renew it eventually, and you don't want all of your work tied into a DAW you don't actually own.

For larger businesses, this isn't a problem, and they'll go straight to Pro Tools Ultimate, anyways.

Don't understand why they have kept track count limitations, though.  Seems like a fairly shady way to extract revenue out of your users.

-----

However, I'd still totally evaluate other comparable options like Samplitude Pro [Suite] and Mixbus (esp. given the price asked) before diving into Pro Tools, unless you have specific needs for it.

Edited by Some Guy

You still have the upgrade and support option with PT Perpetual also,
which gets you new versions, and, if you don't renew, you still keep 
your Perpetual License.  I still have my Pro Tools 12.8 license...but
didn't bother renewing.  The bad part about that is, if you let it lapse,
they sock you for $299, instead of the $99 normal yearly renewal

8 minutes ago, cclarry said:

You still have the upgrade and support option with PT Perpetual also,
which gets you new versions, and, if you don't renew, you still keep 
your Perpetual License.  I still have my Pro Tools 12.8 license...but
didn't bother renewing.  The bad part about that is, if you let it lapse,
they sock you for $299, instead of the $99 normal yearly renewal

$299 is fine.  If you keep that version for Pro Tools for 3-5 years before renewing, the cost is actually pretty low (the same or less than annual renewal).  Most people who let the support lapse do so because they have it running stable on a system, and are going to lock that system to that version of Pro Tools and a compatible operating system, anyways.  Now that Microsoft has ceded the power to control Updates back to the user, this is easy on both major platforms 😛   Support isn't as "necessary" in those scenarios.  It's more necessary for people who ride the latest updates, and perhaps upgrade to "very new" hardware routinely (though Avid won't support anything they don't name in their documents).

The issue with Upgradeing a Perpetual License to a Subscription is that your perpetual license ceases to exist in that scenario.  You no longer own the software, at all.  You now rent it.  If you stop the subscription, your Pro Tools 12.8 would no longer function, because that "upgrade" path is not an upgrade.  It's more a Migration.  It replaces your perpetual license with a subscription plan.

So general guidance (outside of Avid, ofc) is to never upgrade a perpetual license to a subscription.

Edited by Some Guy
  • Like 1

BTW, their 20% is actually less than 10%...
For instance, Pro Tools is $599...the "discounted 20%" 
price is $509???  That's less than 10%!

Avid uses "common core" for discounts

EDIT:  It won't even let me apply the discount on the Avid Website ( i was just curious)

Edited by cclarry