AMD Ryzen Threadripper CPU's

cclarry

14 hours ago, Jim Roseberry said:

It's in all our best interest for AMD to be competitive.

Competition drives performance... and keeps cost down.

On the other side of things it will allow for more sloppy developers that abandon optimization. Some could still choke a 4ghz system.

23 minutes ago, Rubio said:

I'm building a new pc and don't plan on overclocking or boosting anything (noobie to afraid to tinker). Would a ryzen 3800x or intel i9 900kf be better?

What types of projects are you running?

Are you doing video editing/rendering?

Do you need Thunderbolt-3?

Are you running ProTools?

There's zero risk running the 9900k with all cores locked at 5GHz.

16 minutes ago, Jim Roseberry said:

What types of projects are you running?

Are you doing video editing/rendering?

Do you need Thunderbolt-3?

Are you running ProTools?

There's zero risk running the 9900k with all cores locked at 5GHz.

I'm working at 96k inside sonar not many sample libraries or virtual instruments just high audio track counts with multiple plugins. Nebula 3 pro is my biggest cpu hog. No video editing or rendering going and I'm afraid I don't know what thunderbolt-3 is.

My current setup is a quadcore i7-3770.

I have a 10? Year old machine built by Jim. It shows 8 bouncy columns in the cpu section of the cakewalk control bar. Is that 4 hyper threaded cores or 8 single, idk.

I use my computer fairly hard. It works well enough for me to do all i want.

While a new pc is a nice-to-have, i don't feel i need one.

I got a rack mountable case, but i never racked it. I only occasionally take it out for field recordings. I find i can do field recordings just fine with a light laptop from the 2005 vintage. My 6u rack full of interface, pres, and compressor weighs enough!

I do have to wait for video bounces. I have been glad i got an upgraded video card. The gpu definitely takes load.

The point of this post is to say that i like to play music and Jim's machine helps me keep my focus there. Maybe someday I'll get another machine, but i think a guitar with humbuckers will come first.

Edited by Gswitz
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Rubio said:

I'm working at 96k inside sonar not many sample libraries or virtual instruments just high audio track counts with multiple plugins. Nebula 3 pro is my biggest cpu hog. No video editing or rendering going and I'm afraid I don't know what thunderbolt-3 is.

My current setup is a quadcore i7-3770.

In your scenario, I'd go with the 9900k.

I am still going (last leg though!) with the ole i7 2600k. But a project I was working on last night brought the ole girl to her knees. It is only about 30trks of audio. Most have some type of plugin on the trk. 6 busses with lots of plugins. Went to add Schepps Parallel Particles and it wound not play but for about two seconds and stop. Even with all trks frozen!

Yeah the ole girl served me well, but last night proved that my recent purchase of the i7 9900k is gonna be nice! Just gotta finish the build.

• Like 1

@Grem

I'm guessing with all tracks frozen you might have had an IO issue... do you have lots of 'layers/lanes' loaded with takes?

I guess this b/c with all tracks frozen, CPU shouldn't have been any issue... only reading and playing back the audio...

Still, if the prob showed up when you added that last plug... did you try raising your buffer?

Edited by Gswitz

1 hour ago, Gswitz said:

Still, if the prob showed up when you added that last plug... did you try raising your buffer?

Buffer is as high as it will go! ANd yes there are probably some takes and other stuff that's been archived and set aside. I keep an eye on this stuff.

Plugins on just the busses right off the top of my head:

Abbey Road Plates

Waves ADT

FabFilter Timeless 2

Waves C3

Waves L3 UltraMax

Waves API 2500

Waves Durough Meters

IK EQ73 x2

Some other I can't remember now.

• 1 month later...
On 1/3/2020 at 4:23 PM, Patrick Derbidge said:

That makes sense then. It looks like the ID4 and M2 are the same price here in the US.  I think I just like the low latency numbers I'm seeing with the new Motu's and I'm all about low latency when it comes to audio interfaces. ID4 latency got really good after the last driver update though. Before that they weren't that great.

Hey Patrick

Well the good news is my new PC is here, the bad news is I can't have until my Birthday in a month's time ( wife's orders ! )... I was worried that stuff might go up in price due to all the Chinese factories closing down to stop the spread of corona virus , and also the machine I was looking at from the local builder AWD-It had gotten £50 cheaper as had the NVME HDD upgrade. So I went for it.

So I now have sat in the box Ryzen 3900x, Asus B450M-K, Samsung Polaris 512gb NVME , and I opted for 16gb of DDR4 3600 ...figured less but faster ram rather than more but slower..I'll upgrade when I next get a decent royalty cheque.

I addition I ordered a 1tb Samsung Evo 970 SSD and the Audient ID4 as I won't be able to use my Focusrite

The machine was £810 inc delivery and the extra SSD and Audio Interface came to £235...so I didn't quite manage to keep it under £1k but it was close

I've fitted the extra drive and installed Win 10 , and ran the DPC latency checker on it ..all checks out within the ' good for audio ' range ( interestingly this PC I have now fails that test ) and the worst driver is the crappy Geforce 710 which is the base line GPU they put in them. I will probably stick something better in it at a later date that has better behaved drivers. it will have to suffice for now.

CBB is installed but I didn't have time to try it properly as it's all packed away now ready for the big day.   

Edited by CosmicDolphin
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, CosmicDolphin said:

and the worst driver is the crappy Geforce 710 which is the base line GPU they put in them

Nvidia is known for having drivers that conflict with audio latency. It sounds a bit odd that a video card would have any impact on the audio latency but it's a well documented and known fact going back a while now through various audio forums. This is the reason I went with an Radeon card. Unfortunately my budget Radeon card is not technically as good as the competing Nvidia cards in the same price range but since I don't do any gaming and very light video editing I prefer to make it the best for it's main purpose which is music creation. I would highly recommend getting a Radeon card that suites your needs since there are high quality Radeon cards if you need better graphics but if you don't game, like me, then you wouldn't know the difference with the budget video cards from AMD.

8 hours ago, Patrick Derbidge said:

I would highly recommend getting a Radeon card that suites your needs since there are high quality Radeon cards if you need better graphics but if you don't game, like me, then you wouldn't know the difference with the budget video cards from AMD.

I'll never do any gaming, which Radeon card do you use ?

Interesting topic.  I recently made a large project template. My first. Around 140 tracks and 12 instances of Kontakt running some lighter sketch libraries. 

I'll be interested to test this template on larger projects to see how it goes using more of the tracks. Not even a hint of trouble as of yet running an intel 5820K  6 cores hyperthreaded to 12. Overclocked with 16gb of memory.  The nice thing about Kontakt is there are lots of nested effects in the mixer that some might not think about. I imagine using some of those might  lessen the blow some. I don't want to get carried away on a big mix like this. While I don't expect any issues I guess it's possible. I will never be using all of those instruments on one project. I could throw in more memory, but so far nothing I have thrown at this computer has caused any issue with this setup.

I think these numbers between Ryzen and Intel are probably most important to heavier users in terms of track count and VSTi.  I am headed in that direction eventually. I am also editing video on the same PC with no issue using Vegas. Mainly small videos. I did invest in a better video card and run two monitors. The thing is, large projects have been made for film and elsewhere on older computers for quite awhile now....so is this possibly overkill? I guess it all depends on what you're doing. You don't need a yacht to go bass fishing :)

8 hours ago, CosmicDolphin said:

I'll never do any gaming, which Radeon card do you use ?

It's just a sad little R5 220. Honestly the built in graphics on the new Intel cpu's are better than this thing but I don't notice one bit. I think it wouldn't be too much more to get an upgrade but at the time I was maximizing the more crucial components like larger SSD's etc.

29 minutes ago, Patrick Derbidge said:

It's just a sad little R5 220. Honestly the built in graphics on the new Intel cpu's are better than this thing but I don't notice one bit. I think it wouldn't be too much more to get an upgrade but at the time I was maximizing the more crucial components like larger SSD's etc.

Ahh cool, I think I was looking at the 550 ..it was pretty cheap

• 1 month later...
On 1/2/2020 at 8:43 AM, Jim Roseberry said:

A note about TRX40 motherboards:

All the critical CPU tweak components are available... but the motherboards (like the original Ryzen release) seem just a bit "rushed-out-the-door".

ie: On the Gigabyte AORUS series,  there's no option to disable things like Onboard Audio, Onboard WiFi, etc.

I just came across this thread from google. I am actually planning on building an i9-9900K workstation with a Gigabyte Z390 AORUS ULTRA motherboard and this scared me a little bit. I have an RME HDSPe AIO PCIe interface that I plan on using so disabling onboard audio would be ideal. Is the AORUS lineup bad and should I avoid it? As some background I produce a wide range of genres (everything from EDM to film scoring) and also do a lot of Photoshop work (UI design mostly). I'm also starting to question my CPU choice and wondering if AMD would be better suited for my needs.

Jim, you really sound like you know your sh*t, would you mind weighing in?

Thanks for any advice.