Equipment Stolen Within The Last 2 Weeks!

Keni

I was staying at a Pub type hotel in Adelaide for a while, was there for a few years. It was good as I played acoustic sets downstairs occasionally and didn't pay rent, they put this big star on my door and I had the front balcony room overlooking the sea. I was working in my day job during the day too, so I saved a lot of money while I was there.

The people were pretty friendly and once there was some students from USA and the UK staying there for a holiday. I thought I would give them a ride around Adelaide and show them the sights. We got in the car and straight away the US students locked their doors. I said, we don't do that around here and as it was a warm night, I got them to leave there doors unlocked and to wind the windows down all over the car. When I did that, the UK students put all their belongings on the floor and wanted stuff put in the glovebox. They then told me their fears about what happens when you drive around in an "unsecured car".

I said that I would drive through the worst neighbourhood in Adelaide as well and we would do it with all the windows down and the doors unlocked. They were really worried. I stopped the car at some traffic lights and some guy walked across and asked if I had a cigarette, I said no I don't smoke and he walked on and said have a good night.

The moral of the story, if you are in Australia and drive around in an unsecured car with the windows down, some guy might ask you for a cigarette. If you are in the UK, apparently what they do is poke their heads in and grab whatever they can off the seat or dash and then run for it. If you are in the US, they grab you, throw you out of the car and take the car.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Tezza said:

<...snip...>The moral of the story, if you are in Australia and drive around in an unsecured car with the windows down, some guy might ask you for a cigarette. If you are in the UK, apparently what they do is poke their heads in and grab whatever they can off the seat or dash and then run for it. If you are in the US, they grab you, throw you out of the car and take the car.

About a year ago I spent 5 weeks in Australia. From Brisbane up to Point Trib, over to Darwin, down the Stewart highway to Kangaroo Island, and around the bottom hitting cities and parks along the way, and eventually ending in Sydney.

I found the Australians some of the friendlies and most civilized people on the planet, and I've been all over the world.  They were cheerful, ready to talk, and extremely courteous.

Whether they were city folk or the roughest out-back personalities, there was a gentleness, cheerfulness, and friendliness to them. In 5 weeks I didn't meet one sourpuss. Quite the contrary, I was always delighted by the people.

I saw platypus, cassowary, koala, kangaroo, wallaby, kookaburra, emu, frog mouths, rock art, symphony concert, giant termite mounds, and hundreds of other things I've never seen before, which was exciting, but the best part about the trip was the Australian people. Thanks to all who live down under.

If it weren't for the climate crisis, the lack of water, and the fact that I don't have enough money to be admitted, I'd move there.

Bob

• Like 2

On 12/20/2019 at 2:52 PM, craigb said:

I still think they're in the far minority, however they seem to be getting all the attention now-a-days so they appear to be a bigger problem than they are.

There's plenty of good out there!  Time to shift the focus if you ask me.

This is it in a nutshell. Look around at the people you know or come into contact with regularly. How many of them would break your window and rip the TV off your wall? Probably very few, if any. Those that do are an aberration, a statistical anomaly. Which is what makes them newsworthy.

Unfortunately, even a small number of miscreants can make a lot of trouble. Police say that arresting just one burglar will often result in a noticeable drop in local crime statistics.

This Christmas, when burglaries historically go up, instead of leaving cookies for Santa, leave a syringe with a lethal dose of heroin on the kitchen counter. They get what they want and we depopulate the criminal community, it's win-win.