Equipment Stolen Within The Last 2 Weeks!

Keni

Thanks Everybody...

I apologize for not responding to each.

As you might expect, I’m quite overwhelmed with it.

I'll try to give some responses here. I may have to edit it once or twice reviewing the messages. I do appreciate the ideas, suggestions, and good wishes.

Bitflipper... Yes you’re right. I’m not running myself crazy thinking I will get anything back. This isn’t my first experience of this nature... I have already written off the gear but will finish scanning the surveillance videos on the remote chance.

Notes... Thanks. I carried Clarion insurance most of my career.

Ed... thanks.

Craig... thanks.

Edited by Keni

Half a lifetime ago I was burgled, replaced all my equipment 6 weeks later and was burgled again. Apparently that’s a thing. Burgle again after insurance has paid out and/or equipment replaced. All the measures I undertook to secure the house I was renting were to no avail. Deadlocks and bolts on all doors and windows. It looked like they just smashed the door in with a sledge hammer. The stile with dead bolts and locks was just hanging on the door frame. Lots of lessons learned. 
I feel for you Keni, it’s a gut wrenching time. Hearing someone else suffer the same stirs up all those feelings again. Same happened a few years back when Bitflipper was burgled. It’s sickening. A real violation. 
It really makes you grateful for what you have. 
All the best to you Keni. 

Edited by Michael Vogel ( MUDGEL)

42 minutes ago, Michael Vogel ( MUDGEL) said:

Half a lifetime ago I was burgled, replaced all my equipment 6 weeks later and was burgled again. Apparently that’s a thing. Burgle again after insurance has paid out and/or equipment replaced. All the measures I undertook to secure the house I was renting were to no avail. Deadlocks and bolts on all doors and windows. It looked like they just smashed the door in with a sledge hammer. The stile with dead bolts and locks was just hanging on the door frame. Lots of lessons learned. 
I feel for you Keni, it’s a gut wrenching time. Hearing someone else suffer the same stirs up all those feelings again. Same happened a few years back when Bitflipper was burgled. It’s sickening. A real violation. 
It really makes you grateful for what you have. 
All the best to you Keni. 

Thanks Michael...

<Ouch>!

Getting hit twice in a row. Nasty. Sounds like maybe an inside job?

No matter. There's little to do. Nothing is secure and insurance is largely superficial. As in the past, standing guard is futile if the thief is determined.

Thanks for your feelings

• 2 weeks later...

Useless police...

I discovered one guitar amp at a pawnshop and I'm 100% certain it was mine but the police won't even investigate the seller's name because I don’t have a serial number...

A legitimate lead they won’t look into. I guess being a thief is safer than I believed...

On 'Live PD' last week, a man had a bunch of music equipment stolen from his garage. He reported it to the police and pawn shops and music stores.
Someone from GC called him and said someone was trying to sell one of his amps. They gave the man the thief's name.
He looked up that person, went to his house, called the cops.
Cops arrested the thief and helped the man load up his stuff.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, 57Gregy said:

On 'Live PD' last week, a man had a bunch of music equipment stolen from his garage. He reported it to the police and pawn shops and music stores.
Someone from GC called him and said someone was trying to sell one of his amps. They gave the man the thief's name.
He looked up that person, went to his house, called the cops.
Cops arrested the thief and helped the man load up his stuff.

Ah the power of television!  I wonder if the story would have ended differently without the presence of the camera.

While I was in the military I stored my music equipment with my brother.  All my equipment was stolen while stationed outside the US.  I came back on leave and tracked down the shells of my drum kit in a pawn shop.  Even though I was able to recite shell serial numbers by memory my drums were not returned because my brother did not list the serial numbers on the original police report.

I was awakened about 3 AM by the sound of metal on metal bashing into each other.  I look out my bedroom window to see a big wheels 4 X 4 pick up truck spinning wheels in my front yard.  The truck drove OVER my car to get into my front yard.  I turn on the porch light , run outside with a camera in hand and take pictures.  I took pictures of the truck, the license tag and the (drunken) driver hanging out the window giving me the finger.  Police never found the truck or driver.  Because of "privacy" concerns would not tell me where or to who the license tag was registered to.  When I pushed the issue with the police I received three moving violations in three months.  Went to court and beat all three.

I'm not a fan of the police and the power they wield.

On 12/18/2019 at 5:07 PM, Keni said:

Useless police...

I discovered one guitar amp at a pawnshop and I'm 100% certain it was mine but the police won't even investigate the seller's name because I don’t have a serial number...

A legitimate lead they won’t look into. I guess being a thief is safer than I believed...

Same experience here, even though I did have serial numbers and receipts for at least two of the four items I spotted at the Lynnwood, WA Guitar Center. I naively thought they'd just hand them over. Nope. 

I asked the store manager if I could review their security footage, since they'd bought those items from the thieves and there are cameras above every register. They said sorry,  they couldn't allow that because it's a privacy issue. They were worried about thieves' privacy!

The local cops refused to even talk to me, since the store was not in the same city where the theft had taken place. Like fencing stolen property isn't a crime, too.

Yeh. Useless.

We had merchandise stolen from our store. Caught the guy and since the value was high enough it was a felony. He was caught outside two blocks away in his car. Thankfully police were doing a traffic stop when he passed by and they pulled him over. He was arrested and his car had to be towed because he was pulled over on highway bridge. Over $500.00 to get car back.  The kicker in this is the police held on to the merchandise for over three years in lock-up to use in court. Only plus side in this is that when we finally got the merchandise back it was worth more and we made a nice profit on Ebay.  But rights for us the victom heck no! The criminal seemed to have more rights then us.   His court date kept getting delayed and delayed and delayed.

2 hours ago, Gswitz said:

Always bad people in the world. I keep hoping though. Keep trusting. Keep looking for light.

I still think they're in the far minority, however they seem to be getting all the attention now-a-days so they appear to be a bigger problem than they are.

There's plenty of good out there!  Time to shift the focus if you ask me.

I live on a dead end street. 12 houses total and we all know each other. We know what cars we all drive.

In the 30 years I've been here we've had one theft. My wife saw a car that didn't belong go to a neighbor's house while they were on vacation. We got the license number and the police caught them about a half hour later trying to unload the stolen goods.

One guy in that car had warrants out for his arrest in numerous other burglaries, and ended up with 26 years on a plea bargain.

We had another suspicious car come up, and we went out to help.  The driver of the car said he was overheating but declined our offer to use our hose to put water in his radiator. We were very friendly, didn't accuse him of anything, just bragged about what a nice, safe, watchful neighborhood we live in -- letting him know our neighbor who has nothing better to do records every license plate that doesn't live here (and he really does). He never came back.

Our neighbors have done similar things, and we all watch out for each other.

We had roofers come to give us an estimate while we were away. A neighbor called the cops saying there were strangers on my roof and they investigated and actually detained the workers for a while. I ended up using that company and gave each worker a $20 tip to make up for the police interference. It just seemed like the right thing to do.

The majority of the people are nice folks, but there will always be that nasty minority. Some steal out of desperation when times are hard, others just do it because they are bad people. The police can't usually spend too many resources on a break-in, because they are notoriously understaffed, underfunded, and looking for the glory of drug busts. Things ain't like they are in the old movies.

On a dead end street makes it easy, as there is no reason for an "alien" car to come up here. We all know each other, we have block parties once a year or more, and even though we have our differences, we have a common bond of neighborhood unity. And if you visit me, your license plate will be logged by at least one person (three are doing that now).

Insights and incites by Notes