Equipment Stolen Within The Last 2 Weeks!

Keni

I'm still in shock from this. On Saturday (my new album release and birthday) I discovered that one of my storage units was robbed.

So much gear and the struggle to acquire. Due to all my moving since losing my house and studio that I am so far unable to find receipts and serial numbers.

I am posting this more of frustration than belief/expectation to recover... Forgive me if this is a transgression...

Stolen November 2019

Oberheim xpander in anvil style case

Roland S50 in anvil style case

Vox Pacemaker amp

Laney TFX2 amp

Fender 2x12 speaker cabinet

Ultimate Support 4-tier keyboard stand in fabric case

Roland pg200 Analog controller for JX3p

Folding hand truck

DrumKat and assorted related hardware

Sony cd player

Technics turntable

4 space road rack containing:

Roland U220

Axon ax-100 SB midi guitar controller

Jlc synapse midi patchbay

8 space road rack containing:

4 Soundscape converters

Jlc synapse midi patchbay

1u brass Patchbay 

2 mxr digital delays

Korg sdd2000 ddl

Roland srv 2000 digital reverb 

Yamaha Rev7 digital reverb 

dbx 160x compressor 

2 Symetrix c-101 compressors 

Thanks...

• Sad 2

Thanks Mesh...

Yes, there are security cameras which I expect to have searched beginning sometime today.

Still discovering more gear missing. Now adding:

8 space anvil style road rack containing:

Soundscape SSHDR1

100’ 16 line audio snake

50’ 16 line audio snake 

I'm having flashbacks to when Dave (BitFlipper) had his gear stolen. 😕

Although this sucks big time, I'm guessing you do have insurance on the storage unit and, because it IS a storage unit, the managers there should not only have video, but most places know exactly who's on the property (my current one requires everyone to enter a code to get both in AND out).  I'm crossing my fingers that they get caught.

However, make sure you remember to put that Marshall Full Stack and Korg Tritan on the stolen list! 😏

• Like 1

Awful! Hope they find a rego plate or face to identify on the cameras. You might also want to leave a list with the local pawn shops/secondhand dealers/music shops depending on how big your town is. Not having receipts/serial numbers might be an issue if they pawn it and you try to get it back.

Reminds me of the day when I was in a heavy metal band and broke my cardinal rule by leaving all the gear in the van overnight. I remember waking up, looking down at the van parked in the bay and seeing the door open....

We got all the gear back because the idiot that stole it all bragged about it down the local pub, word got back to us, so we paid him a visit and served up some heavy metal style justice. He had pawned some of it but gave us all the names and we went over with him to all the pawn shops and got that gear back. We had to first take him to a couple of places so he could loan money to get the gear back as he had spent some of it. Pawn shops were not that sympathetic initially because we didn't have receipts or proof of ownership but 10 angry looking, long haired guys in leather convinced them otherwise.

2 carloads of 10 guys driving around town repairing his mess, it was a bit like pulp fiction. It wasn't necessary to call the police, we just roughed him up a bit and the crew gave him "community service".

That meant he had to work loading gear to and from the van and stage gaffing etc we made him work 6 gigs and the crew didn't treat him the best, he wasn't referred to by name but was called "the criminal".

He went to the same school as some of us did so we knew him from school days. I think he learned his lesson.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, craigb said:

I'm having flashbacks to when Dave (BitFlipper) had his gear stolen. 😕

Although this sucks big time, I'm guessing you do have insurance on the storage unit and, because it IS a storage unit, the managers there should not only have video, but most places know exactly who's on the property (my current one requires everyone to enter a code to get both in AND out).  I'm crossing my fingers that they get caught.

However, make sure you remember to put that Marshall Full Stack and Korg Tritan on the stolen list! 😏

Hi Craig...

Sadly, the first time it became important is the first time I don’t have insurance... whn i lost house and studio i became too poor and can’t afford it.

I am slowly going through what video there is. Tedious and not good enough to see faces but maybe a car or recognize a body?

i had 2 marshall stacks as a spare is always needed as well as a B3 with 147 leslie... 😎

32 minutes ago, Tezza said:

Awful! Hope they find a rego plate or face to identify on the cameras. You might also want to leave a list with the local pawn shops/secondhand dealers/music shops depending on how big your town is. Not having receipts/serial numbers might be an issue if they pawn it and you try to get it back.

Reminds me of the day when I was in a heavy metal band and broke my cardinal rule by leaving all the gear in the van overnight. I remember waking up, looking down at the van parked in the bay and seeing the door open....

We got all the gear back because the idiot that stole it all bragged about it down the local pub, word got back to us, so we paid him a visit and served up some heavy metal style justice. He had pawned some of it but gave us all the names and we went over with him to all the pawn shops and got that gear back. We had to first take him to a couple of places so he could loan money to get the gear back as he had spent some of it. Pawn shops were not that sympathetic initially because we didn't have receipts or proof of ownership but 10 angry looking, long haired guys in leather convinced them otherwise.

2 carloads of 10 guys driving around town repairing his mess, it was a bit like pulp fiction. It wasn't necessary to call the police, we just roughed him up a bit and the crew gave him "community service".

That meant he had to work loading gear to and from the van and stage gaffing etc we made him work 6 gigs and the crew didn't treat him the best, he wasn't referred to by name but was called "the criminal".

He went to the same school as some of us did so we knew him from school days. I think he learned his lesson.

Thanks Tezza...

quite a story... i plan on checking with the 2 local pawnees... still searching for my folder with receipts/serial numbers but it's been lost/missing during the numerous moves and 2week breakdown and packing after the foreclosure.

i will be looking for recognizable bodies/cars as i go through the video files...

1 hour ago, Keni said:

Hi Craig...

Sadly, the first time it became important is the first time I don’t have insurance... whn i lost house and studio i became too poor and can’t afford it.

Yeah...  Been there!  When I was wiped out by all the illegal doings of the so-called "credit crunch" in 2008-9, I lost two houses, my studio and over $820k...  It took me two years of living in a 9'x10' room at a friend's house before I could earn enough to even declare bankruptcy!  Although I was required to sell everything (you're only allowed to keep $300 worth of musical equipment), I did manage to squirrel some things into storage, so I was in the same boat as you for a while, but my current storage unit is actually covered by my car & renter's insurance (about $70 / month).  I feel quite fortunate about that!

I had to sell one of my custom guitars (to Space Cowboy, another of our lost members... R.I.P.  Bo!), but my luthier "bought" the other and I should get that back eventually.  After ten years I only just bought my first new bits of gear this month!  It's a long road, but I hope things turn better for you soon Keni!

28 minutes ago, craigb said:

Yeah...  Been there!  When I was wiped out by all the illegal doings of the so-called "credit crunch" in 2008-9, I lost two houses, my studio and over $820k...  It took me two years of living in a 9'x10' room at a friend's house before I could earn enough to even declare bankruptcy!  Although I was required to sell everything (you're only allowed to keep $300 worth of musical equipment), I did manage to squirrel some things into storage, so I was in the same boat as you for a while, but my current storage unit is actually covered by my car & renter's insurance (about $70 / month).  I feel quite fortunate about that!

I had to sell one of my custom guitars (to Space Cowboy, another of our lost members... R.I.P.  Bo!), but my luthier "bought" the other and I should get that back eventually.  After ten years I only just bought my first new bits of gear this month!  It's a long road, but I hope things turn better for you soon Keni!

You took a beating too!

Sadly I’m too old and not capable of earning any money anymore. So I’m just living day to day.  I did my bankruptcy back in 2005 so mine is well over .  I doubt I’ll ever be able to replace the lost pieces. Thankfully I still have more as they couldn’t take everything that was there and I have two other storage units. They didn’t get my beautiful monitors which cost me many thousands of dollars nor the amps that go with it. I still have my guitars  and other amplifiers and my computers. So I continue to work. My new album was released on Saturday and I’m already four songs into my next album which will be my 12th...

5 hours ago, Tezza said:

You might also want to leave a list with the local pawn shops/secondhand dealers/music shops depending on how big your town is.

Man, that sucks. I hope you get resolution to it. Definitely do the pawn shop thing. I am not sure what the laws are there, but here pawn shops are required to put a 3 week hold on merchandise before they can actually sell it. Caught me off guard, but is a good practice... they put gear on display, but has an "available date" on it. Even if they do not have such, it is very likely that whomever stole it would take the entire list to  a shop to see how much they could get. A shop "should" be able to recognize the same list twice in a few days.

23 minutes ago, mettelus said:

Man, that sucks. I hope you get resolution to it. Definitely do the pawn shop thing. I am not sure what the laws are there, but here pawn shops are required to put a 3 week hold on merchandise before they can actually sell it. Caught me off guard, but is a good practice... they put gear on display, but has an "available date" on it. Even if they do not have such, it is very likely that whomever stole it would take the entire list to  a shop to see how much they could get. A shop "should" be able to recognize the same list twice in a few days.

Thanks, I agree... no pawns in my town but there's one halfway to the next town and another in the next town. I need to arrange for a friend to drive me as my car (30 years old) isn’t great on the open road...

I'm already sick of watching the videos and I am barely through my first few real-time hours...

I pause whenever i have strangers in to tape.

I'm terrified of being robbed. 

I've had jackasses take tapes from my collection i would have gladly copied for them.

My daughter used to call them stealers... People who steal... 😜 i loved that. He he. kids can make awful experiences amusing.

I'm very sorry for you Kenny. I believe you'll get your reward one day.

Jeez,

Thought I had it bad years ago.

Band decided to pick up the gear from the frat house gig on the next day. Got there and my Twin Reverb was gone. Macho preamp head was stolen. Hagstrom guitar was gone. They left the case for the guitar but urinated in it as a tip on the way out. Terrible organic ammonia smell. I actually tried to salvage the case but nothing would remove the smell. Plus had no guitar to put in it.

Lords of Karma at the helm. The bastards will not get away.

John

Sorry to hear @Keni. im out in Boston. not sure where you are but I will gladly keep an eye out if you are close to me.

When ever I've lost gear,  I've focused on the most reasonable way a thief would look to unload it. Cash ! And Craigslist seems to be a place where no one asks questions.

Back in the day (early 90's) I had my rehearsal space robbed. They stole everyone's gear except mine. Which made me look skeptical. Turns out it was a kid we knew with a room 2 doors down from us. I was always cool with him but my band mates weren't. We did get back 75% of our gear though. He was arrested on some other charges, didn't pay his room rent and when they went in to clean the room out, the building manager recognized our gear.

Don't be surprised if it was an inside job.

Sorry again man. Happy holidays.

On 11/26/2019 at 6:43 PM, Gswitz said:

I pause whenever i have strangers in to tape.

I'm terrified of being robbed. 

I've had jackasses take tapes from my collection i would have gladly copied for them.

My daughter used to call them stealers... People who steal... 😜 i loved that. He he. kids can make awful experiences amusing.

I'm very sorry for you Kenny. I believe you'll get your reward one day.

Thanks...

I have little hope.

1 hour ago, chuckebaby said:

Sorry to hear @Keni. im out in Boston. not sure where you are but I will gladly keep an eye out if you are close to me.

When ever I've lost gear,  I've focused on the most reasonable way a thief would look to unload it. Cash ! And Craigslist seems to be a place where no one asks questions.

Back in the day (early 90's) I had my rehearsal space robbed. They stole everyone's gear except mine. Which made me look skeptical. Turns out it was a kid we knew with a room 2 doors down from us. I was always cool with him but my band mates weren't. We did get back 75% of our gear though. He was arrested on some other charges, didn't pay his room rent and when they went in to clean the room out, the building manager recognized our gear.

Don't be surprised if it was an inside job.

Sorry again man. Happy holidays.

Thanks Chuck...

I'm glad you got yours back...

As mine was the only unit robbed, I'm guessing whoever stole the gear had some knowledge it was there. The number of people who knew that as well as the unit number can be counted on one hand. All family who helped me move in. I can't imagine any of them doing this so I'm reasoning that it was someone who passed by while the door was open?

I've posted in a few places and checked craigslist each day and a few friends have posted elsewhere.

I am in Northern California...

I have little hope as my life continues to unravel. 

Edited by Keni
  • Like 1