The Twilight Side of Morning

Johnbee58

Wrote this about a year ago.  Some of you might be familiar with the magazine called "Recording".  They have a feature called "Reader's Tracks" where you can send in your original tunes and have a pro producer named Marty Peters review it and make suggestions.  I pondered whether I wanted to submit this or not but finally bit the bullet and sent it in fully preparing myself for a merciless flame job, but Marty was kind (but still only gave me 3 stars, but I was anticipating less than 1) and gave me suggestions on how to make my vocal sound better.   I'll link the reviewed version in the June 2018 issue but since then I added an acoustic guitar track (via Native Instruments Strummed Acoustic Guitar).  I submitted the song to Marty before I bought the guitar plugin, but the link here has the complete version.

https://johnbowen.bandcamp.com/track/the-twilight-side-of-morning

magazine link;  https://recordingmag.com/readers-tracks/#1511214487596-8aad1025-bad2

Enjoy

😀John B.

I think this is the best I've heard from you so far John, you seem to be pretty close with your vocals here, and I might tentatively suggest that's because the melody is less complex than on previous songs. The chorus is just fine, very well pitched.  Full marks for the piano and bass, really nicely done. Good stuff. 

Edited by James G

35 minutes ago, Douglas Kirby said:

I really enjoyed the lyrics to this song - nicely done.  That's cool that you had a pro mix it for you.

Thanks Doug, but I need to clarify.  The pro didn't mix it.  I mixed it myself.  The pro reviewed my mix.

😀JB

Duuuude! You are famous! That's way cool you sent that in. I used to subscribe to "Recording" and always liked the reviews of people's work. Judging by the studio picture up on the "Recording" website, you have invested some $$$ on room treatment, and I can really hear a clarity in your vocal track that didn't necessarily used to be there.

I liked the organ filling quite a bit. The bass guitar is pretty dry, which I think generally is a good call, but here I might want just a bit of delay, room, or chorus. Or not, could go either way. The mix pretty much sparkles. I liked that buzzy panning synth, maybe louder on that when it's featured?

cheers,

-Tom

On 1/20/2019 at 2:24 PM, emeraldsoul said:

Duuuude! You are famous! That's way cool you sent that in. I used to subscribe to "Recording" and always liked the reviews of people's work. Judging by the studio picture up on the "Recording" website, you have invested some $$$ on room treatment, and I can really hear a clarity in your vocal track that didn't necessarily used to be there.

I liked the organ filling quite a bit. The bass guitar is pretty dry, which I think generally is a good call, but here I might want just a bit of delay, room, or chorus. Or not, could go either way. The mix pretty much sparkles. I liked that buzzy panning synth, maybe louder on that when it's featured?

cheers,

-Tom

Thanks so much, Tommy.  I have the acoustic panels, but I don't know how much good they are doing.  Maybe an improvement for the vocals but the mix environment not so much.  I've been using ARC 2.5 for that.

😀John B.