Rant/Commiseration - Internet & Software

Fwrend

Don't usually vent (or post here) but....I  suppose I have been unwittingly spoiled by internet services up until now.  Earlier this year we moved to a small rural town  in Kansas - actually 2 miles outside of town on a nice municipal lake (which was why we bought) and only 50 miles outside a city of 400k.  Internet has come to pain-staking halt.  Our only options at this time is Hughesnet (of which I've never heard anything positive) and a local wireless service that "may" provide 5mbps download speed for $80/mo and a 12 month commitment - I ain't doing it!  😠

I had decided to buy a Verizon Jetpack to use which worked not fast but good enough - until the fourth day when I received a text stating that I had used up my quota.  What????  Sure enough, while we have "unlimited data" (yeah right!) once you've downloaded/streamed a designated amount, it is CHOKED down to a crawl  - even an email  takes minutesssss download.  I finally cancelled that but was unable to revert to my previous plan because Verizon had changed their plans and I ended up paying a third more than what I was before. (I can't find a screw-you-Verizon emoji)

So , I find myself empathetic towards those who have the same woes  - I've read your responses with sympathy but now I feel your pain & frustration!  😩

Lastly, after getting XO, I was disappointed to find that XLN has ablsolutely no provision (as others I'm sure) for offline installation.   Usually, I will just go to the coffee shop or library in town and download to my SurfacePro but this does me no good when companies use proprietary installers without offline options.  I love the ability to maintain products with these installers  but learning to hate those that punish the out-lyers with no provision to at least download the content separately.  🥴

I am experiencing a similar situation with drivers for a 3-year-old Kodak printer.  I downloaded the latest software/driver/installer and it immediately demanded internet to check for updates without anyway to proceed beyond that.  Uggghhh!!  😬

Okay, all done .  If you read this far, my apologies but appreciate you reading  😁

Edited by Fwrend
  • Like 3

Thanks @craigb (I think :).  I just keep thinking , this is  America; this is the 21st century; this..... wait, now I feel guilty - am I one of those "entitled?"  Naw,  I'm too old for that and in the spirit of Thanksgiving, am indeed very grateful and blessed!

Less time on the internet means more time with the grandkids who showed up yesterday for a week of gratitude.  We'll have around 50 family crammed in our house this Thursday!

4 hours ago, Fwrend said:

I just keep thinking , this is  America; this is the 21st century;

Believe me, it is not just America, but it is the 21st century! Here in Europe we have the same troubles, even if we pay skyscraping taxes (in my country, I think the highest of the world)!

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, marled said:

Believe me, it is not just America, but it is the 21st century! Here in Europe we have the same troubles, even if we pay skyscraping taxes (in my country, I think the highest of the world)!

America isn't even in the tops with broadband speed.  The problem with utilities there is no competition.  If there is the second choice is really bad.   

• Like 1