Win 10 Update 1909

davet

I've been running it since the beginning of the week. I've had zero issues.

One observation though... the 1903 update prior to the upgrade took ages, whereas the 1909 upgrade itself was pretty much instant.

The cynic in me thinks that the last 1903 update was actually the "real" upgrade, and the 1909 upgrade was a simple label change.... just my personal suspicions 😉

• Like 1

According to Focusrite’s  website, their Saffire Firewire interfaces aren’t compatible with Win 10 1903 and they recommend not updating beyond 1809 for this line as they won’t be supporting them going forward.  

https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en-gb/articles/206849319-Windows-10-Compatibility

Just a heads up for those who own the Saffire Firewire line. 

Edited by Blogospherianman
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Blogospherianman said:

According to Focusrite’s  website, their Saffire Firewire interfaces aren’t compatible with Win 10 1903 and they recommend not updating beyond 1809 for this line as they won’t be supporting them going forward.  

https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en-gb/articles/206849319-Windows-10-Compatibility

Just a heads up for those who own the Saffire Firewire line. 

And for those on Windows 10 home you don't have a choice - you will either upgrade or be forced to go offline. Of course if you go offline to avoid your interface becoming a brick, then 6 months later your DAW (assuming Cakewalk by Bandlab) becomes a brick.

Great choice.

21 minutes ago, Blogospherianman said:

Thanks, Blogospherianman.  Appreciate the info.  Eventually we will all have to update Windows.  So goes my Saffire, guess I should hope for a new interface this year.

Kind regards,

tecknot

On 11/23/2019 at 2:09 PM, msmcleod said:

The cynic in me thinks that the last 1903 update was actually the "real" upgrade, and the 1909 upgrade was a simple label change.... just my personal suspicions 😉

My understanding is that 1909 was mostly built into 1903, and "installing" it is basically just enabling features that were already downloaded.

• Like 2

On 11/27/2019 at 12:39 AM, bvideo said:

Uh oh, Some of those Saffires are DICE-based. Drivers were always dicey. Any word about any other DICE-based interfaces going belly up in 1903?

I'm using TC Electronic FW interfaces (Impact Twin and Konnekt 6 - both DICE II)... No problems here under Win 10 build 1903.

I've seen it generically advised for Win 10 that you HAVE to use the legacy FW driver -- but I've just stuck with the  latest TCE driver package (last updated Nov 2016) and have had zero problems.

Thanks for that info, guys.

TC has maker's access to DICE driver updates. The drivers for my Alesis were last updated June 2010. Have used them in less recent W10. Just now I tried them on W 1903 and they worked, but twice there were weird events that made me have to restart.

W10, 8700K, 16G, Alesis Multimix F/W 16 Roland A90EX, JV80, D50-MEX, some Korgs.

12 hours ago, Nicolas Morales said:

Running a Saffire pro 24 here on W10 1909 with no issues. I guess it will eventually go the way of the doo doo, but for now still going on strong. 

Using a TI Chipset based FW interface. 

Thanks Nicolas.  Good to know.

Kind regards,

tecknot

On 11/27/2019 at 6:39 AM, bvideo said:

Uh oh, Some of those Saffires are DICE-based. Drivers were always dicey. Any word about any other DICE-based interfaces going belly up in 1903?

Nope. My LS 56 is still purring along. Dice controller, FW card with TI chip, standard W10 drivers. Wonderful piece of kit. On W10 1903.

Jerry

My Computer had updated to 1903 and my first session after (using the Liquid Saffire 56 with a TI Chipset firewire card) was hiccuping and actually recorded glitching in the audio where the hiccups occurred.  This prompted me to roll back and read more on Focusrite’s website where I found the info about it not being compatible.  Luckily RX7 helped me fix the glitches. 😄 The LS 56 has always been a stable and solid beast for me till now though.  Glad for those who are still running perfectly though.  Hiccups don’t inspire confidence with customers.