PhonoBrainer

What can I say, Mr. Emerald . . . it's a clinical explanation of composition, with a jazzy underbelly . . . it's goes uptown, and then it goes downtown.

I get pictures of cruising in a really expensive car, yet it's organic and earthy. For me it's got it all, I never lost interest, and wanted more.

Please write a sequel. Thank you for the amazing journey. Also, the recording and mixing clarity are top notch. I'm going back for a few more spins on this one.

Thanks, Noynekker! The voiceover guy is from an old 1940's movie where a professor holds forth. I hope all of his pompous condescension comes through the mix.  :)

I re-did the upload because the electric piano didn't make it into the render.

many thanks! Expensive car sounds great. Actually, they are all kind of expensive these days.

cheers,

-Tom

This is a bit of a departure for you, ES.  Your material is usually more deep and cerebral.  But it's a great piece of work, just the same.  In fact it shows your sense of diversity.  I especially love your synth sounds.  The trumpet is very pretty also.  I'm not big on pure electronica, but you have a way of making it much more interesting than usual.

😀John B.

Thanks, John, appreciate the compliment. You are correct, this one was more an exercise in getting to know some new tools.  As far as electronica goes, I love it but boy it usually doesn't have enough breaks or sections - for me, they usually hang on one riff waaaay too long. To each them owns.

cheers,

-Tom

Nice one Tom, similar to a band called Public Service Broadcasting, with a bit of Level 42/Shakatak groove thrown in. Mix sounds fab, the only thing I noticed was the hiss/noise around the very first voice over bit, but maybe there's nothing you can do about that. Love the drop-out after the 'hook-line', nicely done.

James, yes please I could use help with editing out the 1940's hiss on those exposed vocal samples. I have dropped the high eq as low as I could, without killing the vocal.I don't have any "noise reduction" or such fixing plug-ins, denoisers, whatever they are. Maybe that's the next step for this. Thanks for the comments! I'll check out PSB . . .

Daryl, thanks and good call on hi-hats. Generally I edit the drums last, and the early push-out was, guess what, minimal drum attention. Time to take a whack at it. And I can't carry T. Dolby's Suitcase, because I'm an Airhead. Love that guy. Thank you, I love you, goodbye.

Steve SPAK, thanks so much! The "skills" are mostly high pass filtering everything to above 200 - 300hz, and even the bass gets hpf to above 50-60 hz. Pan crap around a little. Then post it and get good suggestions  :) and hope you randomly wrote a good tune for once.

DKirby, thanks for that. There's still some mud down in the mix and the drums need some love, but so far so far.  I can't get in to those posh bars or clubs, I don't have the threads. But thanks for the compliment!

Tom
I didn't realize that I enjoy "Dance & EDM" until I heard this. Very intricate and very well done piece.  
Nice back and forth motion of the horns.  The dialog is very effective too, the words seemed to direct the music.

(WTF stage. I know what you mean  😀  )

• 2 weeks later...

Steve C - many thanks. I'll take smooth electronic funk jazz any day, all day! Thanks for the listen . . .

Wookie - cool, glad you liked it. 

Bjorn - yeah I really don't even know what genre this is, but ignorance is bliss in this case. Thanks for the comments!

now with  video . . . see link in op :)

cheers!

-Tom

Edited by emeraldsoul

Wow, i must tell you Tom. Without the video this song does very little to me. But with the video this is pretty amazing. It really catches my attention in a way i didnt even tought would be possible.

Very good work! Hats of from Kloon.