Sign in to follow this  
Francoteves

Clip Gain through dragging within the clip.

Question

I'd like to know if there is a way to do this just like it can be done in Audition or Studio One where you change the clip's gain by dragging the levels and have a VISUAL reference of how loud it will turn out. I searched in the forum but nothing appeared. Ty

Edited by Francoteves

3 answers to this question

No, that has never been implemented. The only visual guide is that 6dB intervals are marked in the track scale, and each 6dB change in the Gain line will halve/double the amplitude. Ultimately, you have to use your ears.

• Like 1

Yea, I was going to break the bad news to you yesterday when I saw this post, but it isn't possible to see waveform changes in real-time using clip gain.

It would be a nice addition though no doubt.

I would like to make a suggestion though if I may.

IMO, Clip gain is not what it used to be when plug ins had no way of controlling their input stages, back then clip gain was essential to "how hard you hit the compressor" with your first path (the gain stage input). If you need to adjust gain in large increments weather it be bring down/bring up gain levels, then your recording wasn't done properly. Sure there are those vocal phrases that need to be evened out.

But this can be done using volume automation in one whack !

We are all set in our ways, in the way we have been working for years but when you use volume automation, you bypass having to use clip gain automation which saves time. There are those extreme times where clip gain automation should be used, but as I said earlier, those are typically times were the recording level was not properly maintained.

All the popping P's, the snaking S's, the K's CA's can all be leveled out using volume automation.