[CLOSED] Cakewalk 2019.11 Early Access

Morten Saether

8 hours ago, Noel Borthwick said:

@PeterMc Yes the driver exposes 8 samples as a minimum but when we set it it rejects it. Probably an oversight from the manufacturer. I'll let Focusrite know. However they have the best implementation for allowing dynamic latency changes.

Looks like this is fixed in the beta driver 4.64.15.598. Their change notes mention this fix for some DAWs but not specifically for CbB. I've installed the beta driver and can confirm the fix for CbB for the 1st gen 8i6.

• Like 1

Getting a crash when opening a project with AIR Talkbox plugin. Crash message attached,

dmp file here

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1WqKVhh4mdr5kPb8SRHQk7_x0QiT2vYEH

Also getting strange gaps in audio with ASIO driver. In loop mode the gaps occur in the same spots. ASIO vs WDM  examples attached. VStudio 100  audio interface used.

Plus I can't seem to open plugin properties unless in Admin mode.

2019.10 crash.jpg

ASIO (8).mp3 WDM (7).mp3

15 hours ago, Noel Borthwick said:

@RBH good to know that it works with the Apollo. Do you get an active latency slider in Audio Preferences with the Apollo as well?

Yes - I am able to get an active slider with the Apollo.  I'm still on Win 7 and this is an older Firewire Apollo unit, I also am running a UAD quad accelerator with it.

18 hours ago, msmcleod said:

I've personally tried  4.63.23.563, 4.63.24.564 and the latest 4.64.15.598 beta

@msmcleod Pardon the interruption, but is there an archive of Focusrite drivers available somewhere? The beta.focusrite link only provides the newest beta version I presume? Or am I missing something?

1 hour ago, Noel Borthwick said:

@RBH does the Apollo respond to latency changes made via the slider when you click ok even if playback is underway?

Yes , There's a minor and expected  drop of audio and it re-syncs very quickly under the new buffers setting. It's very well behaved with the Apollo. Really nice implementation of ASIO improvements Noel. You fellas really rocked it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jan said:

@msmcleod Pardon the interruption, but is there an archive of Focusrite drivers available somewhere? The beta.focusrite link only provides the newest beta version I presume? Or am I missing something?

I don't know of any archive of previous versions. Focusrite only seems to make the latest driver available on their website.

2 hours ago, Jan said:

Why not visit their support page?

It's here: https://customer.focusrite.com/support/downloads?brand=Focusrite&product_by_type=551&download_type=all

15 hours ago, Lemar Sain said:

Getting a crash when opening a project with AIR Talkbox plugin. Crash message attached,

dmp file here

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1WqKVhh4mdr5kPb8SRHQk7_x0QiT2vYEH

Also getting strange gaps in audio with ASIO driver. In loop mode the gaps occur in the same spots. ASIO vs WDM  examples attached. VStudio 100  audio interface used.

Plus I can't seem to open plugin properties unless in Admin mode.

2019.10 crash.jpg

ASIO (8).mp3 190.13 kB · 2 downloads WDM (7).mp3 190.13 kB · 2 downloads

@Lemar Sain the plugin crashes are in the plugin code and not related at all to Cakewalk so there is nothing we can do to solve it from our end. Please contact the manufacturer of the plugins for support with those crashes. You can send them the crash dump files.
The other issue is also unlikely to be related to Cakewalk. Did you try restarting Cakewalk and playing again - do you still get the silent spots? Try bypassing your plugins and see if it still happens. Is this a MIDI project? If so try raising the MIDI playback buffer size to 50 msec (Prepare Using: in settings | MIDI | Playback and recording)

On 11/23/2019 at 1:35 PM, petemus said:

Thanks for the update, seems to work quite nicely all in all. Using the new latency slider crashes Cakewalk on my system, though. No exception dialog is shown, the UI just vanishes and the process dies. This is after I OK/Apply the change.

I'm using Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 3rd Gen with the latest drivers and also Sonarworks Studio Reference, the latest version, on Win 10 1903, with latest updates. I also have the Sonarworks VST in the project.

I have a crash dump I can deliver for post mortem examination... WinDbg analyze shows heap corruption (again).

@petemus please send a link to the dump file. It is probably instability with the Sonarworks driver if you are using that. Please use the Focusrite driver directly and report back we have been testing with the Focusrite drivers and they have been very stable with the ASIO changes.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Noel Borthwick said:

@petemus please send a link to the dump file. It is probably instability with the Sonarworks driver if you are using that. Please use the Focusrite driver directly and report back we have been testing with the Focusrite drivers and they have been very stable with the ASIO changes.

Yes, will do that a.s.a.p. I might try to reproduce the crash again with more details as to what I did before it. Now that I quickly tried using the buffer slider with a very  small project which has the Sonarworks VST in it, no crash occurred. 🤔

20 hours ago, Noel Borthwick said:

@Noel Borthwick I just did some testing and it seems no crashing occurs with projects now, even when Sonarworks VST is active. I tested with a couple of projects, one of which even has a few 32-bit plugins in it. I even tested changing the buffer size on the fly (= project playing back), still no crash.

Maybe it was just "one of those days". 🙂 Everything is ok now, and I guess we can close this case.

• Thanks 1

On 11/24/2019 at 2:04 PM, Noel Borthwick said:

@Lemar Sain the plugin crashes are in the plugin code and not related at all to Cakewalk so there is nothing we can do to solve it from our end. Please contact the manufacturer of the plugins for support with those crashes. You can send them the crash dump files.
The other issue is also unlikely to be related to Cakewalk. Did you try restarting Cakewalk and playing again - do you still get the silent spots? Try bypassing your plugins and see if it still happens. Is this a MIDI project? If so try raising the MIDI playback buffer size to 50 msec (Prepare Using: in settings | MIDI | Playback and recording)

The 50 msec buffer fixed the audio gaps. Must have gotten reset somehow. Thanks

Edited by Lemar Sain
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Lemar Sain said:

The 50 msec buffer fixed the audio gaps. Must have gotten reset somehow.

Yes. From the OP

On 11/20/2019 at 12:36 AM, Morten Saether said:

On first launch, Cakewalk will reset the MIDI buffer size to the new default value of 20 msec (Preferences > MIDI - Playback and Recording > Prepare Using n Millisecond Buffers).

• Like 1

As soon as I installed the Early Access I immediately started having trouble with MIDI. There is a lot of stuttering and a ton of latency. It takes several seconds for the program to update MIDI information. If I move a fader on my control surface (X-Touch) of start or stop transport it takes a long while to make the corresponding move in CbB. 

I'm in the middle of a big client project so I uninstalled the EA version and re-installed the previous.  Any ideas as to why this is happening?

2 hours ago, Noel Borthwick said:

@Tommy Byrnes what is your midi buffer size set to in preferences MIDI? please check asap since we plan to release soon.

Hi Noel! Only and offtopic question please Do you have to release a new version every two months or is only coincidence? I am pretty sure that many users don't care about monthly or similar updates and prefer stable and proper tested updates when ready.

We don't release unless it has been tested as much as we could internally as well as in beta test. Smaller releases are much preferable to monolithic large releases that are much more likely to cause problems and harder to troubleshoot. We switched to this model many years ago and many other companies follow the same.
I would dispute your argument about users not caring about our releases. We have got direct feedback from many users who are very happy that we are addressing long standing stability issues in every release. 

• Like 3

I like  the pace of a release every two months. I thought the once a month was a bit too much. I would be happy with a release every three months to. I agree with Noel that these smaller updates are much better. 

@Noel Borthwick    Please pass on my blessing for the whole Cakewalk staff and families for Thanksgiving and holiday season.

Peace

• Like 3