[CLOSED] Cakewalk 2019.11 Early Access

Morten Saether

2019.11 Early Access installer now available!

We're pleased to announce the Early Access for 2019.11, which includes many significant improvements and  over 75 bug fixes, all in keeping with our goal of making CbB as reliable and enjoyable as possible.

We'd love for you to check it out before we drop the official public version, which should be in roughly a week.

Please note that Early Access installers are update installers, which only update from a specific version. To install the 2019.11 Early Access build, you must be on the latest public release of 2019.09.

Download Cakewalk 2019.11 EA installer

If you haven't already done so, please read about the Early Access Program before participating.

Thanks again for your participation!
The Bakers

2019.11 Highlights

Behavior changes

• The Comp tool now respects the Auto Crossfade state.
  • When working in Take lanes, the Split tool will split across all lanes on the lower half of the clip.
  • The Default MIDI Prepare Buffer size has been reduced to 20 msec. Limitations preventing the MIDI buffer from being set lower have been removed. There should be no need to change the buffer size from the new default value anymore, since the engine automatically raises the internal size when necessary. 
  • On first launch, Cakewalk will reset the MIDI buffer size to the new default value of 20 msec (Preferences > MIDI - Playback and Recording > Prepare Using n Millisecond Buffers).
  • Lenses have been renamed to Workspaces.

ASIO improvements

Automatic Dropout Restart behavior

Cakewalk analytics from the 2019.09 release, revealed the most common reason for audio dropouts to be ASIO device state changes. This dropout is most commonly triggered by users changing the latency or sample rate in the ASIO panel. 

In version 2019.11, the default behavior is to restart the audio engine when certain kinds of benign dropouts are detected. If playback is underway, the dropout is handled and playback resumes automatically from where it left off. This behavior can be changed in Preferences > Audio - Configuration File by setting the new RestartEngineAfterDropout flag. Set to False to revert to the prior behavior to display the dropout toast message. Note: If recording is underway when this happens, you will get a dropout notification as before.

ASIO latency updates from driver panel to host are more reliable

In prior Cakewalk versions changes to the driver panel were not always reflected in the host until closing and reopening preferences. You should see this work reliably now.

ASIO latency can be set from preferences slider for supported audio interfaces

For supported audio devices, in the audio preferences, the latency slider may now be used to change the audio buffer size without the need to open the manufacturer’s ASIO panel. For this to work the driver has to support reporting its latency metrics to the host and respond to preferred buffer size requests. If supported, you will see a latency slider with the min/max latency as recommended by the driver. If unsupported, the slider will be disabled.

Note: The slider will move in steps as suggested by the driver. One of the advantages of this feature is that you may have access to more granular buffer sizes than the driver panel offers. It is not guaranteed that every latency value supplied by the host will be acknowledged by the driver.

Please report your findings with your own audio interfaces.

New ini setting StopEngineOnASIOPanelOpen

A few ASIO devices require that the host should not use the device while making changes to device settings. Some devices may display an error or gray out the controls in the ASIO panel while others may silently ignore changes. In prior versions of Cakewalk the only solution was to exit the app for such devices. In 2019.11 you can set the variable StopEngineOnPanelOpen in Preferences > Audio - Configuration File (second property in the list). Setting it to True will automatically stop and release the ASIO interface allowing you to change settings in Cakewalk. 

Change preferences while audio is playing 

You may now open the preferences dialog and change settings even while a project is playing. If a change is made that requires the engine to restart, you will hear a small interruption in the audio while the changes are committed and playback will continue after the change. This has the following benefits:

• Inspect or make changes to preferences without needing to stop playback or input monitoring.
  • Make changes to audio latency while playing audio to adjust audio processing load dynamically. Note: This only works with ASIO devices that can handle real time buffer configuration changes.

Tool changes

Updated Split tool behavior

The Split tool now supports single clip splitting across clips in Take lanes. On the lower half of clips, there is a new cursor to indicate when splitting the current clip image.png or all  clips image.png on the track. This cursor appears only if there are multiple lanes on the track.

The Split tool now also respects the Auto Crossfade state.

Comp tool now respects Auto Crossfade state

When using the Comp/Isolate tool in Take lanes, the splits on clips will now respect whether Auto Crossfade is enabled or not. (Previous behavior was to always crossfade when using the Isolate tool)

Workspaces (Lenses) enhancements

• Lenses have been renamed to Workspaces. Note: The online help still refers to Lenses until the official release of version 2019.11.
  • The Workspace Manager has a new Description field that allows you to include a text description of each workspace.
  • On fresh installs of Cakewalk, the onboarding wizard lets you select an initial workspace (default is Basic). Note: The Help > Get Started command now launches the onboarding wizard. Please test this feature in the 2019.11 Early Access release.
  • Global keyboard shortcuts persist whether using a factory workspace or 'None'.
  • The Workspace Manager will now prompt to save changes to the current workspace if necessary.
  • In the Workspace Manager, the Save button is only available if the workspace has been changed.
  • You can select a workspace when no project is open.
  • Several factory workspaces have been updated to improve workflow.
  • Switching workspaces to 'None' no longer affects the active theme.
  • Switching Workspaces no longer affects project track and bus sizing. 

image.png

image.png

Option to display muted takes in parent track

The new Track view View > Display Muted Takes in Parent Track option allows you to display muted takes in the parent track.

Display Muted Takes in Parent Track Take lanes expanded Take lanes collapsed
Enabled

Parent track shows muted takes in gray.

image.png

Parent track shows muted takes in gray. Muted clips can be edited.

Clips muted due to lane mute are dimmed.

image.png

Disabled

Parent track shows muted takes as an empty gradient filled area.

The blue Comp clip header encompasses both the muted and unmuted areas.

image.png

Parent track does not show muted takes.

image.png

Control surfaces

Added Instrument Support for Mackie Control surface. For details click here.

Simpler activation

Cakewalk requires periodic activation via BandLab Assistant. This process is more streamlined in 2019.11.

• BandLab Assistant now has a Refresh Activation option. In the rare case when you need to reactivate Cakewalk, log in to BandLab assistant and choose the Refresh Activation option from the Cakewalk drop-down menu in the Apps tab. 
  • Cakewalk responds immediately to being activated by BandLab Assistant. If the app is in an inactivated state, launching BandLab Assistant and choosing the “Refresh Activation” option will automatically activate Cakewalk even if the app is running.

image.png

Misc

• Click the Sample Rate or Bit Depth fields in the Control Bar Transport module to open audio preferences.
  • The minimum gap between Control Bar modules has been increased when Lock Module Order and Center is enabled.

Optimizations

• Meters and now time display are now more responsive and uses less CPU when multiple projects are open. Rapid scroll and clip drag operations in the UI no longer cause meter and time updates to lag.
  • Various improvements to audio engine for better ASIO compatibility.
  • Optimized audio engine to set ASIO buffer sizes and sample rates more efficiently.
  • Minimized the number of VST3 start/stop state changes during project load. This greatly improves the load time for certain plug-ins such as Vienna Ensemble Pro.

Bug fixes

Stability/Compatibility

• VST Scanner was updated to make it more compatible with certain plug-ins that could crash.
  • Crash opening the Lyrics view with no tracks.
  • Crash when using Go To Time keyboard shortcut with no project loaded.
  • Vienna Ensemble Pro hangs on load with some projects.
  • Potential crash when splitting an instrument track that contains automation lanes, then converting to an instrument track again.
  • Some Wave64 bundle files fail to load in Cakewalk.
  • Crash during Play List playback when playing preloaded project.
  • Memory leak and hang when adjusting latency during playback with sidechain plug-ins.

Audio

• Cancelling Preferences dialog disables audio engine after opening ASIO panel.
  • Increasing ASIO buffer size from Panel causes audio to glitch during playback.
  • Latency changes made in ASIO control panel do not auto update latency in audio options.
  • Applying sample rate from preferences does not change ASIO sample rate when project not open.

MIDI

• MIDI Chase chases CCs from muted clips.
  • MIDI Chase chases notes from muted Take lanes.
  • Setting the MIDI "prepare using" to 256 ms or lower causes missed or stuck notes.

UI

• Theme changes unexpectedly when switching lens to 'None'.
  • Setting workspaces to 'None' should restore all features and settings.
  • Control Bar gets out of sync with the current workspace if Cakewalk is terminated or crashes.
  • Closing Open Project window does not reopen Start Screen.
  • Comp preview shows only header for muted clips.
  • Double separators appear in Browser plug-ins menu.
  • Make Instrument Track option should be grayed out in menu when not applicable.
  • Tempo View isn't persisting scrollbar positions.
  • Improve appearance of Insert Soft Synth menu icons.
  • Interval value for Paste Special appears offset.
  • Splash screen is shown on different monitor to main window.
  • Changing Lens and reopening Cakewalk has unexpected results.
  • Selected Strips Widen unexpectedly in Console View.
  • Drag preview with multiple clips when one is positon locked does not behave as expected.
  • Selection Handles Appear Unexpectedly Near Now Time after Deselect All.
  • Tempo View shows incorrectly after mouse wheel scroll.
  • Clips refuse to heal after manually altering crossfades.
  • Heal Command adding crossfades when fades weren't originally there.

Lanes

• Moving Clips in Lanes with Slide Over Editing option causes unexpected results.
  • Comp/Isolation tool always crossfades regardless of Auto Crossfade toggle status.
  • Comp Crop tool does not work with clip groups when lanes are collapsed.
  • Noticeable delay when muting/unmuting MIDI in lanes.
  • Comp split tool should only show if more than one take lane is available.

Automation

• Fade not drawing as expected after changing default curve and using the Isolate tool.
  • Envelopes fail to copy to new project based on drag location.
  • New automation envelope type incorrect after splitting / recombining instrument track.

Track view

• Scrolling or rapid Aim assist movements in the Clips pane make now time updates sluggish.
  • It’s not possible to set the Now Time when clicking on a selection/loop/punch handle in the Time Ruler.
  • Dragging audio files from Browser to start of measure 1 is difficult.
  • Aim Assist shown in wrong place in Clips pane Time Ruler after disabling / enabling.
  • Aim/Snap Assist doesn't update when scrolling left/right in the Clips pane.
  • Unable to select clip from header when position locked.

Tools

• Crop/Heal tool not healing all splits.
  • Split tool  should respect auto crossfade, and when in Comp mode should split all lanes.
  • Active zone for lane Split tool cursor is in the middle of bitmap rather than nearer the point.

Piano Roll view

• Deselecting short MIDI notes leaves selection marker artifacts behind in Piano Roll view ruler.
  • Piano Roll not persisting selected controller lane.
  • Piano Roll vertical zoom control tooltip shows Drum Grid.

Plug-ins

• VST Scanner was updated to make it more compatible with certain plug-ins that could crash.
  • VST2 to VST3 migration when opening projects now properly replaces the VST2 with the VST3 plug-in even if the VST2 plug-in is not installed when opening the project file.
  • Unable to scan the Movement VST2 plug-in (and possibly others) by Output.
  • Projects containing migrated VST3 instruments would revert back to VST2 versions after saving and reopening.

Play List

• Project windows don't open when playing next song in a Play List.
  • Play List Preload Next Song During Playback option should be off by default.
  • Double clicking a Play List project to queue it during playback causes UI drawing issues.

General fixes

• Cakewalk does not recognize if activation has been updated while the app is open.
  • Preferences OK/Cancel/Apply/Help buttons only appear in native OS language.
  • Lenses fail to copy after migration.
  • After Ripple Edit All Delete, Time Ruler Retains Selection unexpectedly.
  • Clicking the Time Ruler when using the Scrub tool has unexpected results.
  • Insert Time/Measures not shifting meter changes correctly.
  • Library.db leftover in UAC File Resync from previous installs.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 3

Is there a way to install the Early Access version .11 along side the existing version .09?  I want to be able to use the current version while testing on .11 as well as double checking any bugs found exclusively in .11.

Thanks in advance.

Kind regards,

tecknot

15 hours ago, Morten Saether said:

General fixes

• Insert Time/Measures not shifting meter changes correctly.

Excited to see this. I downloaded and installed the EA build. I tested this with my simple-to-reproduce test project, and it now works as expected. This is good!

However, my more complicated project still shows problems, specifically with deleting measures. Rather than provide lengthy details here, I will write this up as an official bug report with attached project and documentation of expectations, actions, and observed results. Hopefully the official bug report channel can handle a report from an EA release build.

• Thanks 1
  • Great Idea 1

My last early build was a fiasco!!! But, I have a small window of downtime for my projects so I put my head down and got this update!

While I have not fully given it a blowout testing, I do have to say WWWOOOWWW!!

Some of my projects are running at the very least, Superior Drummer 3, Kontakt, Sampletank, Garritan, AIR plugs, Mark Studio, Amplitube, along with at least 4 to 12 audio tracks with various plugins.

My asio has hovered between 120 and 512 in real time. I have been running my large projects that would choke below 330 very easily at 130 without a hiccup! This, for me, is a major deal!! While I have never had to freeze or bounce my vsti tracks, bumping that latency up sometimes has been a real pain.

So far, congrats gentlemen, on a job well done!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 11/21/2019 at 3:36 PM, tecknot said:

Is there a way to install the Early Access version .11 along side the existing version .09?  I want to be able to use the current version while testing on .11 as well as double checking any bugs found exclusively in .11.

I wrote a tool that does this. It is called Launch Pad. The thread about  it and my other tools is here. Links to the download page are in the thread.

Launch Pad makes a copy of the existing DAW and allows switching between versions.

To use it:

• Download the zip
  • Unzip it into the folder of your choice
  • Run Launch Pad
  • Use quick copy from the File menu (keyboard shortcut K)
  • Close Launch Pad
  • Install the early release (or any CbB release)
  • Run Launch Pad - both versions of CbB are available in the drop down in the bottom left of the UI.

The program includes documentation and built-in help.

NOTE: The tool maintains separate copies of the program but relies on the same "Shared Folder" utilities. IOW, there is only one version of the plug-in manager and scanner in this case the Early Release version.

Keep in mind if you elect to use Launch Pad, it is best to always use it to start CbB or a project. When starting CbB outside of Launch Pad make sure to use the version last run from Launch Pad or enable the "Restore CW130Audo.dll on Exit" option in the File menu if always running the default CbB outside of Launch Pad.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Colin Nicholls said:

My more complicated project still shows problems, specifically with deleting measures. Rather than provide lengthy details here, I will write this up as an official bug report with attached project and documentation of expectations, actions, and observed results. Hopefully the official bug report channel can handle a report from an EA release build.

I have submitted a bug report as announced. After documenting the process I realized that the root cause might be this simple:

• Deleting bars from beginning of project leaves first bar at time signature of original first measure, and does not retain the time sig of the first undeleted measure.

Not sure if my suggestion for "Workflow Preferences" as a option for Lenses [now Workspaces] was considered as it was not a formal request, but a discussion embedded in a problem-solution type thread.  If it had been considered and either dismissed or shelved, that's fine. If it hadn't, here's a new problem-solution thread that points to how workflow preferences that are scattered in different places could be aggregated via Workspaces. (BTW, I prefer "Workspaces" to "Lenses"--it seems a more descriptive name--at least to me. )

Thanks for all the fixes, improvements, etc.

Oh--I have been going through my custom "Lenses" and they all seem to work just fine as "Workspaces." In fact, it might be my imagination, but I think they switch in more smoothly/faster.

• Like 1

It is possible that you may see an improvement when switching lenses since there are some optimizations in the load code that prevent track settings from being updated among other things.

I don't follow how you imagine workspaces would assist in the other thread. Workspaces essentially act like a filter for visible features and store positioning information for views and toolbars.  It won't allow you to move where a feature itself is visible.

37 minutes ago, Noel Borthwick said:

It is possible that you may see an improvement when switching lenses since there are some optimizations in the load code that prevent track settings from being updated among other things.

I don't follow how you imagine workspaces would assist in the other thread. Workspaces essentially act like a filter for visible features and store positioning information for views and toolbars.  It won't allow you to move where a feature itself is visible.

Thanks for the explanation of possible switching improvement (smoother/faster).  That makes sense! 

I will give more thought to the second point to see if I can reconcile (and perhaps better explain) what I had been thinking with your comment.

2 hours ago, Noel Borthwick said:

@Colin NichollsNicholls can you post your report here please? Early access is better handled here rather than the support channel.

Sure thing. I've been experimenting with more cases, including my "complex project", and I've come to the conclusion that a) inserting and deleting measures is definitely better. So, that's great!

With the EA build, the problem reduces to something that might or might not, be a bug. It could be that my assumptions of how this "should work" are wrong. User education might be the solution, or perhaps a change in functionality to align with expectations.

Issue: Deleting bars from beginning of project leaves first bar at time signature of original first measure, and does not retain the time signature of the first un-deleted measure.

Consider a project with the following Time Signature changes at bars in the timeline:

1 [7/8]
3 [4/4]
6 [2/4]
16  [5/4]

I also created a marker at bar 12 and recorded some MIDI notes just for fun:

image.png.9335ea297657c54abb649067b8f9377b.png

Note that the time signature at Bar 11 is currently  [2/4].

Now, I'd like to delete the first 10 measures:

• select thru Bar 1 - 10
  • enable Ripple Edit ALL
  • Delete

The new Measure 1 (previously Measure 11) has no explicit time-sig setting of its own, and so depending on user expectations, could have the following possible expected outcomes:

• (1)   [4/4], the default starting time signature of an empty project [4/4], because all prior explicit changes (bar 1 - 6) have been deleted.
  • (2)   [2/4], the time signature of the "left-most" or most-recent previous explicit time signature change in the deleted measures
  • (3)   [7/8], the time signature of original Bar 1

Now, to perform the deletion:

• select thru Bar 1 - 10
  • enable Ripple Edit ALL
  • Delete

What actually happens? Outcome (3):

Bar 1 is [7/8], the time signature of original Bar 1. I guess this is because that is a special case, or actually lies outside the deletion selection zone, or something?

As a "dumb user" I think Outcome (2) is more desirable because that would have put things the way I expected. My clips and markers wouldn't be offset from measure boundaries, as you can see:

image.png.1c998f40130c20a9418eede8676617be.png

If I now go in and manually set bar 1 from [7/8] to [2/4], it's still a bit of a mess:

image.png.48dcf5f99210567d99f695d1b8c8ffe9.png

My items in the timeline now start halfway through Bar 3 (which is where remaining [5/4] time signature change is now located).

I get that I have to clean this up by inserting and adjusting measures until things are back to where I want them... but I feel as though I shouldn't have to.

Follow Up: Even if I assign an explicit [2/4] time signature change to Bar 11 prior to the deletion, it is ignored. I still get Bar 1 with a [7/8] time signature.

Edited by Colin Nicholls
Added comment that an explicit TimeSig on Bar 11 doesn't prevent the issue from occurring
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Colin Nicholls said:

As a "dumb user" I think Outcome (2) is more desirable because that would have put things the way I expected. My clips and markers wouldn't be offset from measure boundaries, as you can see:

image.png.1c998f40130c20a9418eede8676617be.png

I've never actually had to do that before, but FWIW I sorta agree that 2/4 is probably what I'd want as well.   If I delete the first bar I would expect it's time signature to be deleted as well, though bar 1 may be a special case as you said since there's nothing preceding it.    

Pre-roll?   ;)