IK Multimedia iRIG Keys 49 Review

Simeon Amburgey

I have been using the iRig Keys 49 for a few months and just now published a quick review. It is a great keyboard and the 49 keys just puts it right in a sweet spot for me.  Also the built in audio interface is a great plus for portability. 

Right now (until November 30th) IK Multimedia is including SampleTank 4 MAX with the purchase of the iRig Keys I|O 25 or 49 which is a fantastic deal if you do not already own SampleTank 4. I hope you enjoy watching?

1 hour ago, Freyja Grimaude-Valens said:

This is a pretty nice piece of hardware, the portability is attractive.

Absolutely, especially the built in audio capabilities where you could have the iRIG Keys I|O and your laptop, PC, MAC, iPAD or iPhone and be able to pretty much make some music right away.

One of the things that really impressed me was how powerful it was using a smaller iPad Pro running SampleTank, the iPad version of Ravenscroft 250 and the AudioBus app that allows you to sort of mess with audio routing and such; pretty incredible.

Also using it on my Windows system with Cakewalk worked as well. The only thing is you have to use something like ASIO4ALL (which I have mixed emotions about) but it was doable which once again impressed me.

• 1 year later...

Hi @Simeon Amburgey.  I know this is an old thread, but I was wondering if you could give me some advice?  I just picked up the 25 key version of this (gutted I missed that ST Max deal, but hey).  I have the audio interface working and I can play instruments via the keyboard.  However, I can't seem to get the transport controls or knobs to do anything.  Does it need to be set up as a control surface as well?   I'm a total beginner with this stuff, so could use some tips on how to get started!

1 hour ago, Gatters said:

Hi @Simeon Amburgey.  I know this is an old thread, but I was wondering if you could give me some advice?  I just picked up the 25 key version of this (gutted I missed that ST Max deal, but hey).  I have the audio interface working and I can play instruments via the keyboard.  However, I can't seem to get the transport controls or knobs to do anything.  Does it need to be set up as a control surface as well?   I'm a total beginner with this stuff, so could use some tips on how to get started!

I have not tried this but you can do it by going into PREFERENCES | MIDI | CONTROL SURFACES
From there I would add it as a Mackie Control and see if that works.
You can also use the Generic MIDI control surface and set up your own preset using the LEARN function.

There are also ways to setup custom MIDI Control Messages for the buttons on the iRig Keys.
It can get a little crazy, especially with the user interface not being that user friendly.

I hope that helps.
I was amazed to get some really good performance from the audio interface side of things, especially after the latest firmware update and ASIO drivers.

All the best,
Simeon

Anything would.  MIDI Learn is FTW and SampleTank is a workstation, so this makes it easier to map things.

I prefer the new M-Audio Oxygen Pro series.  the 49 key keyboard is amazeballs and they're supposed to be coming out with a 32-Key Mini that is going to be very competitively priced.

Their new 192 | # Air interfaces are better than this.  This is too big to carry around, to having the interface in the keyboard is not really advantageous for me.

And IK Multimedia is pretty terrible with shipping.  Last time I ordered from them with 2 day shipping it took 9 days to ship and then 3 days to get here.

I think the smaller sized iRig I/O make a lot more sense, though.

@ $299, I'd rather pay the extra $60 for better knobs, pads, faders, features and a better audio interface (and I can walk into Guitar Center and get it, avoiding potential shipping issues - doubly so if you end up getting a unit with problems).