Downloadable user manual?

Notes_Norton

OK, I'll be patient.

In the meantime I found this:

https://www.cakewalk.com/Documentation?product=Cakewalk&language=3&help=toc.html

It seems to be much better than nothing, although I'd like a downloadable one, because often when I'm intensely working on music, I disconnect from my WiFi.

Notes

'cab, the PDF is out of date in that it doesn't include the last 8 months' features, right?

I'm trying to think of anything that works differently. Double-clicking a MIDI clip now opens the inspector by default, that's all I can think of.

Something that I find odd is that the online documentation still tells how to enable offline help, down at the bottom of every page, even though it doesn't work, at least on my systems.

Can anyone upload the PDF Reference Guide and the CHM Help File from the latest version of SONAR Platinum ?

Would be nice to have an offline help file, and the PDF reference guide to look through when out and about and away from the PC...

The "last 8 months of features" is not that important to people who are learning to use the program.  That is only a very, very minute fraction of the application's functionality!

Edited by SomeGuy

Here is a dropbox link to several help resources, including the very long manual and the *.chm help file.  Not really sure how old this stuff is.  I hope this is kosher and not violating any copyrights in a way that Bandlab objects to.  If so I will delete them.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/vao8c2k6xhi8zl9/AAA9Vn63GPBNZqv5aAlMv7Qfa?dl=0

Edited by BRainbow
Fixed link, I hope.
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

'cab, the PDF is out of date in that it doesn't include the last 8 months' features, right?

Right.  You can access the release notes for the 8 updates to CbB by clicking the "Whats new" link in the help menu, or here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1aFOe_zJrd3x2EnaZ_Jc3iSbZPG2WANiCD4_RP83OjlA/edit

The installed  Platinum Reference Guide PDF copy that I have shows a date of 10/20/2017 as the last update.  I believe that was the most current available for the last release of Platinum 2017.10. The associated .CHM file date was 10/23/2017.

It should be sufficient for new users, or for those just catching up from Sonar 8.5 or X3, LOL!  There was about a bazillion new features added during the Platinum years! I was a holdout on X3 until late 2016, and it really blew my mind what all was new in Platinum by that point.

If you want to take a stroll back down memory lane to all of the goodies in Platinum since 2015, you can find them here: https://www.cakewalk.com/Products/SONAR/Whats-New#start

The eZine PDF articles linked with the updates in 2015 and 2016 have many good how-to write-ups and tips regarding new features, and are worth reading.

In 2017 Cakewalk switched from the eZine format to the "Learn more" links, then with 2017.05, they also resumed publishing the eZine articles in the "TECH + MUSIC" format.  Good stuff!

4 minutes ago, pwalpwal said:

i'm surprised these are still being hosted on google docs

The official release notes for the current release are on the BandLab page here: https://www.bandlab.com/products/cakewalk/whats-new

I just linked to the jump for "See previous release notes", for convenience (in case somebody did not see that little link at the bottom of the page).  The previous notes for the 8 releases are archived on that google docs site. It is a simple matter to publish a revised doc to google docs, and at this point (I'm assuming) that it may be a matter of convenience to not have to update multiple web pages monthly. 

How much are you paying a month to have this documentation maintained?  :D

19 minutes ago, InstrEd said:

Still they could but up the older manual for download.

True, but I can understand why they don't put it up for CbB users.  It is not current, and they have no plans to update it. 

The Sonar Platinum local docs are still available via Cakewalk Command Center, or in "My Account > My Products"  if you have the product in your old Cakewalk account.

For newcomers to CbB there is this article-series by Craig Anderton at the Sound on Sound magazine.

If you start here; https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques/software/daw/sonar-cakewalk?page=2

then you have a lot of tips considering it is one per month over several years. When you come to 2016 everything should work with CbB.

They are free to read up to september 2018.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, InstrEd said:

I'm hoping  CbB will get some new videos tutorials for beginners. Presonus has a boatload of videos showing how to use the program.

Have you seen these? There are 50 video tutorials produced by StreamworksAudio for Sonar X2. They are probably complete enough to give a newcomer a good start on the core workflow, although it would lack many of the newer features.  Those are probably not necessary to learn the basics though, and many professionals got their work done on even older versions of Sonar. The GUI hasn't been changed drastically since the X series introduced the "Skylight" interface.

SWA Complete Sonar X2    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLKRYWdEpbc5PgUgvrNuSvVyfv5qkll0qj

This should be the index to the video chapter titles:

1. Audio Interface Setup - 7:24
2. Audio Interface Options - 8:20
3. MIDI Device Setup - 8:58
4. MIDI Clock & Sync - 10:19
5. Control Surface Setup - 14:20
6. File Options - 10:08
7. Plugin Manager - 6:44
8. Instrument Definitions - 10:09
9. GUI & Track Overview - 14:48
10. The Browser - 8:58
11. Multidock & Control Bar - 11:41
12. Inspector & Control View - 7:02
13. Piano Roll View & Screensets - 10:05
14. Project, Track & Bus Templates - 14:02
15. Exploring the Track - 14:35
16. Exploring the Track (Pt.2) - 14:50
17. Exploring the Track (Pt.3) - 13:55
18. Exploring the Track (Pt.4) - 7:52
19. MIDI Synths - 13:03
20. MIDI Synths (Pt.2) - 5:47
21. Session Drummer & Drum Maps - 12:13
22. Audio Routing - 13:06
23. Working with Video - 4:02
24. Audio & MIDI Basics - 23:26
25. MIDI Advanced - 10:46
26. The Matrix - 16:15
27. Step Sequencer - 12:03
28. Editing Basics - 11:47
29. Editing Basics (Pt.2) - 11:45
30. Editing Basics (Pt.3) - 16:17
31. Editing MIDI - 11:22
32. Editing MIDI (Pt.2) - 8:50
33. Staff View - 6:22
34. Comping and V-Vocal - 17:22 - (V-Vocal not in X3)
35. Groove Loops (Clips) - 12:32
36. Working with Tempo - 10:24
37. Working with Audiosnap - 8:47
38. Working with Audiosnap (Pt.2) - 8:26
39. Working with Audiosnap (Pt.3) - 9:34
40. Working with Audiosnap (Pt.4) - 6:23
41. Console View - 9:32
42. Clean Up & Bouncing - 8:25
43. Control Groups & Gain Control - 10:24
44. Pro Channel & Side Chains - 12:56
45. Working with FX & FX Bins - 11:31
46. Working with FX Chains - 10:30