Michael Fogarty

Novation Impulse 61 -any success stories? Mine randomly shuts down

So yes, sold (trying to) my keyboard to a friend and it is randomly shutting itself down. (I saw online this is a possibility as it has happened to others.) Is yours working? Has it always worked? Are you using USB 2? (he only has 3). Did you ever upgrade your firmware?

Much appreciated.

Is this connected via a non powered USB hub by any chance? 

Is the USB power saving disabled in device manager?

2 hours ago, Promidi said:

Is this connected via a non powered USB hub by any chance? 

Is the USB power saving disabled in device manager?

Hi PROMIDI. Before I go digging into things I would just like to know if there are success stories with this particular controller as the web has sited problems.

And no to the questions above. Are you possibly suggesting that plugging straight into the computer isn’t enough and he should use a powered hub? No right?

8 minutes ago, Michael Fogarty said:

Hi PROMIDI. Before I go digging into things I would just like to know if there are success stories with this particular controller as the web has sited problems.

And no to the questions above. Are you possibly suggesting that plugging straight into the computer isn’t enough and he should use a powered hub? No right?

Direct connection is always best.  If you must use a hub, make sure it's powered.  Don't use unpowered.

As respects USB power saving, you definitely want this turned off.

3 hours ago, Michael Fogarty said:

So yes, sold (trying to) my keyboard to a friend and it is randomly shutting itself down. (I saw online this is a possibility as it has happened to others.) Is yours working? Has it always worked? Are you using USB 2? (he only has 3). Did you ever upgrade your firmware?

Much appreciated.

Since you mention the notorious Novation Impulse 61 . . . yes, I have one, and have wrestled with it for years in various Cakewalk iterations.

Some success using the AZ Controller add on . . . but still some weirdness.

Not so much the "randomly shutting down" you mention, but much other weirdness, pan controls automatically going all the way right,  VSTi instruments cycling and  toggling in and out and on and off . . . I'll also add that Novation Impulse 61  works "almost" perfectly in Cubase. (Let's just give it an 85%)

I've always had my Impulse 61 directly connected to my main motherboard USB3, not to a Hub.

2 hours ago, noynekker said:

Since you mention the notorious Novation Impulse 61 . . . yes, I have one, and have wrestled with it for years in various Cakewalk iterations.

Some success using the AZ Controller add on . . . but still some weirdness.

Not so much the "randomly shutting down" you mention, but much other weirdness, pan controls automatically going all the way right,  VSTi instruments cycling and  toggling in and out and on and off . . . I'll also add that Novation Impulse 61  works "almost" perfectly in Cubase. (Let's just give it an 85%)

I've always had my Impulse 61 directly connected to my main motherboard USB3, not to a Hub.

thank you. Not that I wanted to hear this. The person who is buying it uses Cubase but he already had a problem with it. Sad huh.

Hello everybody,
same problem here!
Novation 61  shuts down just 2 second after I connect the usb cable.
This happened with two different laptop (acer and lenovo)
but dont with a PC desktop....  it's really weird!

i dont know what to do!  

any ideas?? 

please...

Over the years I have seen notebooks not providing enough amps to devices that rely on them for power. A powered USB hub had usually solved the problem. 

My novation 61 impulse has worked very well on both my desktop and portable acer switch12

Grant