XLN Black Friday Sale - I used the same thread - go to the end

cclarry

19 minutes ago, Yan Filiatrault said:

Algonaut Atlas is also on sale at 50% off, at 49,99$. They were supposed to add a sequencer last spring, but it was delayed. Concept is very similar to XO at a much cheaper price.

Interesting. Thanks Yan, I'll check it out. 

Edit: Found this reddit on the subject... 

https://www.reddit.com/r/edmproduction/comments/cp9rfb/xln_audio_xo_vs_algonaut_atlas/

Edited by ZincT

20 hours ago, ZincT said:

Let us know how you get on! 👍🏻

I have to say it was a lot of fun using XO and it sounds fantastic whether using your own samples or what comes with it. It's definitely a time saver/super easy in finding a kit that sounds good and you can get some very useable & interesting results very quickly (once you know the colour layout for each kit piece).

The grooves that came with XO are more suited for electronic based beats, but I think this has potential for acoustic drums as well. It'll load whatever drum samples you have and does it very quickly. I had a 3.5GB library which loaded up in less than a minute. It'd be interesting to load just acoustic drums and see how that plays out.

XO also has a lot of options to tweak each kit in detail as well and the software is laid out very nicely in getting things done quickly/efficiently. Will definitely demo it some more and go a little deeper, but I'm liking it enough to buy it. IMO, XLN has done a really good job on this.  

Edited by Mesh
  • Thanks 4

3 minutes ago, Mesh said:

I have to say it was a lot of fun using XO and it sounds fantastic whether using your own samples or what comes with it. It's definitely a time saver/super easy in finding a kit that sounds good and you can get some very useable & interesting results very quickly (once you know the colour layout for each kit piece).

The grooves that came with XO are more suited for electronic based beats, but I think this has potential for acoustic drums as well. It'll load whatever drum samples you have and does it very quickly. I had a 3.5GB library which loaded up in less than a minute. It'd be interesting to load just acoustic drums and see how that plays out.

XO also has a lot of options to tweak each kit in detail as well and the software is laid out very nicely in getting things done quickly/efficiently. Will definitely demo it some more and go a little deeper, but I'm liking it enough to buy it. IMO, XLN has done a really good job on this.  

Thanks Mesh,

Sounds like it's worth demo'ing (downloading it as I type this). I have also downloaded Algonaut Atlas Demo as it is half the price of XO.

You mention that the included beats are more for electronic music. Can you, for example, have a separate XO space with all acoustic kit pieces? 

This morning I was trying to find a kit in amongst all of my stuff for a typical mid-70s Steely Dan drum sound and thought this would be a perfect utility for just that scenario.

1 minute ago, ZincT said:

Thanks Mesh,

Sounds like it's worth demo'ing (downloading it as I type this). I have also downloaded Algonaut Atlas Demo as it is half the price of XO.

You mention that the included beats are more for electronic music. Can you, for example, have a separate XO space with all acoustic kit pieces? 

This morning I was trying to find a kit in amongst all of my stuff for a typical mid-70s Steely Dan drum sound and thought this would be a perfect utility for just that scenario.

It'll load whatever folder of drum kits you have (once you point it to that folder). So, if you load multiple drum kits (electronic as well as acoustic), all the individual pieces will be laid out in the "Space" section and it sorts out/places similar sounding kits next to each other....i.e. red is for bass drums, blue for snare, yellow hi-hat, pink claps etc.. IIRC, the top of the 'Red' (bass drums) would be for higher tones (towards the top of the screen) while the bottom area would be more deeper/low end tones. Same worked for other kit pieces.

Check out the demo....a lot of fun it is. :)

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ZincT said:

Yes, if you use Search and Filter (magnifying glass) you can specify which sample folders are included in the Space display.

• Thanks 2

There is a bug in XO when using it in Cakewalk.  If you try to Export WAVs, and press the required Render WAVs button, it will hang when creating Stems (if you have updated to 1.1) and the Beat as WAV.  This process causes a drop out in the Cakewalk audio engine, so you will need to press the Cakewalk Run/Stop audio engine button to get it to continue.  You may need to press the button numerous times to get it to complete.  XLN is aware of the problem, but don't have a fix yet.  Exporting MIDI does not have this problem.

Edited by shawker
  • Thanks 2

I wrote to Algonaut about the upcoming update to Atlas. Here's their answer:

"There’s a whole bunch of work being done on new features.  We will start revealing some of these soon. Hold tight!"

I might wait for this instead of buying XO, to avoid having too much similar products. If Atlas ends up very different, I might get XO if necessary on another sale.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Leizer said:

Can you use the beats from AD2 (or import them) into XO?

I just directed the AD2 folder to XO, and it didn't work.

I'm guessing the drum samples have to be in a WAV file format to use. Possibly in the future, they might add AD2 files (that would be fantastic). XO is a great tool for me as when I'm inspired with a melody and need  a good beat quickly, this is IT.....and now it's mine. 😁

BTW, today's the last day to use that code. 

• Thanks 3

6 minutes ago, Mesh said:

I'm guessing the drum samples have to be in a WAV file format to use. Possibly in the future, they might add AD2 files (that would be fantastic).

that seems a shame - it doesn't work with their own samples.  I wonder if the supplied samples are from AD2 ?

3 hours ago, Leizer said:

Can you use the beats from AD2 (or import them) into XO?

My guess is that it wouldn’t be commercially viable to include all AD2 sounds, as that would make it possible to get all sounds in all ADpaks for the price of one XO. Unless, of course, it would only import those that you have actually bought and have present on you local drive. I haven't found any way of doing it though.

Edited by Canopus