" 'Round Corners "

PhonoBrainer

Funk me up baby! This track is working; shake a tail feather mama. Right now that bass is the “lead” instrument, ain’t nothing wrong with that. If we’re done, print it! If a vocal, or as Gary mentioned “a searing guitar solo” is in the works, we want it now! I do like the outro, come back in with the piano line; tres bien mon ami!

Tom

• Like 1

That opening piano riff is familiar but from where I have know idea.  Mix wise sounds good here, slight imbalance in levels when you move to the funky bass section, but as you said it is work in progress that I feel should be pursued.  Will keep the furry ears out for the more finished work.

• Like 1

@thegaltieribrothers - thanks Paul, just thinking about someone grooving on a sunny morning in a different country made me happy. Thanks for the thought there!

@Andrew Ball - so glad you liked it and hopefully we'll both like it more when it's finished up, someday . . .!

@garybrun - thanks, yes to bongos up more. That hand percussion in general sometimes takes the most editing effort, and you can always add more. The piano is a felt piano, this time Patrik Herman's "Frozen" piano which is quite nice to my ears.

@Johnbee58- on my list, very cowbellesque, is a healthy dose of upper eq woodblocks. Gotta find the right patch somewhere. Many thanks, glad you liked it!

@macce- thanks, groove is so important, isn't it. In all music, I think. Thanks for the comment.

@DeeringAmps - hey fellow Tom!!!! Bass line as lead is my comfort zone, but for a whole song, it might be guitar solo or sax solo time. Thanks for the kudos! I am tempted to leave as is but I know I'm gonna fiddle with it more, and hopefully not muck it up too much.

I certainly echo the kudos above.  I particularly like the intro.  It reminded me of some of the torch songs of the 1940's where you would expect the note(s) at the end of a phrase to go up but they go down.  I always thought that was cool.  This song certainly builds with a lot of layers and all add to the song.  I agree with the suggestions about a nice hot guitar added to this --- but --- then, I'm a guitar guy with a slight prejudice for this instrument.  I also like the outro finishing the same way that the song started -- with the piano. 

Veerryy nice indeed!

emeraldsoul . . . I love this. Really keeps your interest as a listener from beginning to end. It also has a high quotient of cool to it.

At 1:44 there's an exquisitely overlapped bass note . . . perhaps because it's not finished yet . . . perhaps to show the bass player is only human.

Mix sounds very well balanced on my system.

Sounds like you're having so much fun creating this stuff, keep it coming ! Looking forward to the final version.

@Wookiee- thanks, I can't think of if and where the piano line came to me from. Hopefully original? Glad you liked it. The polish is coming . . . of course I always say that.

@daryl1968- I prefer to visualize your comment as literal, instead of figurative or metaphorical. So literal dancing monkeys it is. So very glad they dug it, and thanks for the comment!

@David Sprouse - if you only knew the horrorshow of details in my songwriting brain. Too many notes. Thanks so very much, glad you appreciate it!

@Douglas Kirby - thanks, man. The clav was fun. Maybe I should quit while I'm ever so slightly ahead. Thanks for the listen!

@bjornpdx - yes, the volume especially on the horns is a bit low in spots, plus I want to dry up some of the horn reverb. And on it goes. Thanks very much!

@freddy j - yep I think a guitar solo or suchlike might fit the bill. I love 1940's tunes so maybe that crept in the side door somewhere. Thanks again!

5 hours ago, emeraldsoul said:

I prefer to visualize your comment as literal, instead of figurative or metaphorical. So literal dancing monkeys it is. So very glad they dug it, and thanks for the comment!

? My monkeys were literally dancing around like complete idiots. Made complete fools of themselves.