Copy clip envelope?

jono grant

Hi, I was wondering if there was any way inside Cakewalk to copy a CLIP envelope so you could apply it to a different clip?

The only way I can think of is to overwrite the wave file of the clip with the envelope, inside the audio folder. Replace it with a different wave file, keeping the envelope that was on that clip.

Any ideas of another way?

Cheers

Jono

I tried that just now and it didn't work.

It will copy/paste a track envelope but not a clip envelope.

The "Events in Tracks" is tied to "Clip Automation" so if you try to uncheck "Events in Tracks" it will also uncheck "Clip Automation"

Also, in "Paste Special" the option to "Paste into existing Clips" is greyed out, no matter what boxes get checked or unchecked.

You should be able to select a region and go to "copy special" select only the clip automation and then "Paste Special/Paste into existing Clips"

Seems like a feature that's there but doesn't work. Or a bug perhaps. Unless I'm doing it wrong...

Anyone able to get this to work?

Thanks

Jono

I don't think it's possible. Conceptually, the clip envelope is part of the clip, whereas an automation envelope is an overlay on the track. For example, what would CbB do if the clip you wanted to paste into was a different length? It would have to decide whether to paste so the envelope beginning, end, or center was aligned with the clip. With an automation envelope, you copy and paste into the track, the envelope is an overlay so it doesn't matter what the underlying events are.

Probably the best workaround is to use a conventional envelope for the clip, which you can then copy and paste to other clips.

1 hour ago, Craig Anderton said:

I don't think it's possible. Conceptually, the clip envelope is part of the clip, whereas an automation envelope is an overlay on the track. For example, what would CbB do if the clip you wanted to paste into was a different length? It would have to decide whether to paste so the envelope beginning, end, or center was aligned with the clip. With an automation envelope, you copy and paste into the track, the envelope is an overlay so it doesn't matter what the underlying events are.

Probably the best workaround is to use a conventional envelope for the clip, which you can then copy and paste to other clips.

Right, got it!

Although if were able to do that and were being pasted to a different length clip, it could just apply the same envelope to that length of clip and get stretched by percentage of how long the new clip is. Ultimately though, you would be applying it to a clip of the same length.

Why is "Paste into existing Clips" greyed out? Just wondering why it's there...

Thanks!

Jono

2 hours ago, David Baay said:

Are you sure you have MIDI in the paste buffer? The only time I see that is when the paste buffer has an audio clip in it.

Yeah. I copy special, then select a second midi channel, also clicking on the target clip then paste special to that destination. It just pastes the fully copied clip.

If you're copy-pasting between multi-lane tracks, that's possible. Since pasting was made 'lane-aware' relatively recently, I believe Paste into Existing Clips is only applicable when copy-pasting from one single-lane MIDI track to another with lanes not showing. But the option won't be grayed out in that case; it just may not work as expected if the tracks aren't single-lane tracks. Theoretically it should be possible to make it work if multi-lane tracks have a one-to-one correspondence of tracks, but that's a wrinkle that probalby wasn't considered. 'Paste into Existing' predates the introduction of multi-layer/lane tracks.

6 hours ago, David Baay said:

If you're copy-pasting between multi-lane tracks, that's possible. Since pasting was made 'lane-aware' relatively recently, I believe Paste into Existing Clips is only applicable when copy-pasting from one single-lane MIDI track to another with lanes not showing. But the option won't be grayed out in that case; it just may not work as expected if the tracks aren't single-lane tracks. Theoretically it should be possible to make it work if multi-lane tracks have a one-to-one correspondence of tracks, but that's a wrinkle that probalby wasn't considered. 'Paste into Existing' predates the introduction of multi-layer/lane tracks.

Thanks, I'll give that a test!

Cheers

Jono

On 11/20/2019 at 12:18 PM, David Baay said:

Yeah, that doesn't work either. Tried everything. "Paste into existing clips" is always greyed out. even between single lane separate midi tracks. Not sure how you got that to work.

Anyhow.. too bad

9 hours ago, David Baay said:

Just noticed your signature indicating you're on Win 8.1. This is such an unusual symptom, I suspect it's an O/S compatibility issue; there have been a few others with Win 7/8

I often ask if that is my issue with other issues in posts but adamantly told it's not. Starting not to believe that... Windows 10 coming soon anyways.

Thanks