The Fire Within - Epic Trailer music

Chandler

It's interesting. You don't often hear that combination of voices. The first 16 bars or whathaveyou are just the synth triplets? You might get us to the goods sooner. You've got the build-up covered in four bars.

So what is going on while this music is playing? Video game maybe? That might be cool. Or is it the intro to a movie?

I'm feeling kind of stupid, because I wanted to turn it up but the "Bandcamp" player? didn't have a volume control on it that I could see. Did you mix it softly? Is it big, loud, and epic on your end? Yeah I know I could have just turned up my system, but was curious as to how loud you mixed it originally.

cheers,

-Tom

Here's my two cents. The brass is way too loud compared to everything else and the drums are too silent and feel too small for trailer/epic style. Also the brass is way too dry and actually feel out of place as most of the other instruments are electronic. The sound in all together is too light and thin, it needs more mass and power. Just keep adding layers and layers until you think you can't anymore and add one more layer.

Maybe take a listen to Ninja Tracks, they have some excellent orchestra free trailer tracks. Also maybe check out how Thomas Bergersen makes electronic and orchestral elements work together in "Final Frontier" (used in the campaing for Interstellar):

With the epic / trailer style always shoot for overkill!

Edited by Kuusniemi
Typo.

On 1/19/2019 at 11:46 PM, daryl1968 said:

Good stuff.

All excellent except I found the synth that you used for the arpeggio very irritating.  There is too much reverb on it and the actual synth tone you have used fills too much of the mix. Just my 2 pennies. 

Thanks. I changed that synth a bit to make the attack softer. 

On 1/20/2019 at 12:38 AM, emeraldsoul said:

It's interesting. You don't often hear that combination of voices. The first 16 bars or whathaveyou are just the synth triplets? You might get us to the goods sooner. You've got the build-up covered in four bars.

So what is going on while this music is playing? Video game maybe? That might be cool. Or is it the intro to a movie?

I'm feeling kind of stupid, because I wanted to turn it up but the "Bandcamp" player? didn't have a volume control on it that I could see. Did you mix it softly? Is it big, loud, and epic on your end? Yeah I know I could have just turned up my system, but was curious as to how loud you mixed it originally.

cheers,

-Tom

Thanks for the feedback. It could be for a video game or something, but it really isn't for anything, its just kind of an experiment. I mixed it softer than some other track, but its not that low in volume. It should only be about 3db-4db less than other tracks in this style. I didn't want to kill the dynamics too much.

On 1/20/2019 at 3:00 AM, Cookie Jarvis said:

Well done, the drums have the power you want. I have to agree on the arpeggio  synth, needs a little grit or a dirtier tone to fit in better. Just a bit of nit-picking!

Bill

Thanks. I changed that synth a bit.

On 1/20/2019 at 6:25 AM, Kuusniemi said:

Here's my two cents. The brass is way too loud compared to everything else and the drums are too silent and feel too small for trailer/epic style. Also the brass is way too dry and actually feel out of place as most of the other instruments are electronic. The sound in all together is too light and thin, it needs more mass and power. Just keep adding layers and layers until you think you can't anymore and add one more layer.

Maybe take a listen to Ninja Tracks, they have some excellent orchestra free trailer tracks. Also maybe check out how Thomas Bergersen makes electronic and orchestral elements work together in "Final Frontier" (used in the campaing for Interstellar):

With the epic / trailer style always shoot for overkill!

Thanks for the feedback. This isn't actually orchestral at all. Everything is synths except the drums. I love Thomas Bergersen. That's a cool track, but the percussion in that track is too tame compared to what I'm going for here. 

New version uploaded in the first post.

Edited by Chandler

5 minutes ago, Chandler said:

Thanks for the feedback. This isn't actually orchestral at all. Everything is synths except the drums. I love Thomas Bergersen. That's a cool track, but the percussion in that track is too tame compared to what I'm going for here. 

The point of the Bergersen track is the cohesion of elements and the full bandwith of material coming at you making everything sound very huge. Yes the percussion in "Final Frontier" is different but the scope and size of the track is simply massive.

The synth you have chosen sounds very much like brass and as such is compared to real brass in the listeners mind. Maybe choose a different kind of sound? Maybe have grittier synth sounds?

One thing that I find lacking (this is highlighted by the new mix with the heavier drums) is the bass. There's nothing there which makes everything feel quite unbalanced. Also the synths are loud compared to the percussion (and the percussion seems to be the think you are concentrating on).

Interesting experiment and well orchestrated.
Wasn't sure where this was going at first, but at the end it became a movie soundtrack in my mind.
The synth that comes in at 1:03, which seems to be what the buildup is all about, needs to dominate more, maybe by just upping the volume. The arp at the beginning seems too light in tone compared to what follows.