Great job on the Plug-in Manager in 2019.01

Roger Wicks

Wow, I am a bit confused!

Lately I read on this forum that the Plug-in Manager is only legacy and the Plug-in Browser is the "new" thing. Maybe I misunderstood something?

By all means GREAT THANKS to Noel and Co for the improvements!  It is a big relief for me to know that it is still a part of CbB. Thanks, thanks, thanks, ...

4 minutes ago, marled said:

Wow, I am a bit confused!

Lately I read on this forum that the Plug-in Manager is only legacy and the Plug-in Browser is the "new" thing. Maybe I misunderstood something?

By all means GREAT THANKS to Noel and Co for the improvements!  It is a big relief for me to know that it is still a part of CbB. Thanks, thanks, thanks, ...

The Plugin-Manager is meant to be completely replaced by the Plugin-Browser at some point, but there are still areas of functionality that are only covered by the Plugin-Manager. 

So until the Plugin-Browser gets all the functionality of the Plugin-Manager, the Plugin-Manager will stick around. 

The speed issues with the Plugin Manager were obviously easier/quicker to fix than Noel had original thought, so he put the fix in.

BTW @Noel - l love the new colour changes to the Plugin Browser to distinguish between 32bit / VST2 / VST3. Very handy.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Noel has said the plug-in manager will be deprecated at some point. Much of the functionality is already available elsewhere. That said, Noel made a few quick tweaks to the existing software. In addition to the speed-up scanning the registry, there are improvements in performance for the plug-in properties dialog. The addition of a cancel button on the plug-in properties page is a small thing but eliminates the little irritation of waiting for the dialog to close.

• Thanks 1

It is really not about what the browser does today that the plug-in manager cannot do. The plug-in manager functions are moving into the main program.

For some time now  the recommended place to maintain scanner settings and run manual scans is in Preferences.

The plug-in browser started out as a tool similar to the plug-in menus for the FX Racks. The plug-in manager cannot do this.

The plug-in  browser supports search something plug-in menus cannot do.

The plug-in browser also provides a tree view of FX Chain presets.

Unlike the custom layouts built in the plug-in manager, the three default browser layouts are updated automatically. VST3 plug-ins with a vendor supplied category tag are automatically added to the suggested category folder.

40 minutes ago, Cookie Jarvis said:

I've never used the plugin browser, what does it do that the plugin manager doesn't?

The built in plugin browser allows you to drag and drop plugins directly to your project or insert synths directly from there. It also has search and tagging capabilities. Plugins can be assigned to multiple tags and folders are automatically created to group them (in the sort by category layout)

The legacy plugin manager existed before we had the built in browser. The only thing it does today is allow you to author plugin layouts and hide plugins. Everything else can be accessed either from the browser or the plugin window properties.

Sorry, I'm confused. RE: "Great job on the Plug-in Manager in 2019.01" 

Is 2019.01 the latest version of CbB??

When I "check for updates" from the Help menu in CbB, it say's I'm up to date. My version is 24.11.0.31. When I launch BandLab Assistant, the Apps tab says "A new version is available

image.png.ecc60b5c3a0b02bfd73f8af753496659.png

Do I have the latest version? The faster Plugin Manager sounds great!

Thanks,

Billy

2 hours ago, Billy86 said:

When I "check for updates" from the Help menu in CbB, it say's I'm up to date. My version is 24.11.0.31. When I launch BandLab Assistant, the Apps tab says "A new version is available

Yes 2019.01 is the latest version. There is something wrong with the back end reporting the incorrect version to CbB thats why its not detecting it. We're waiting for it to be fixed. For now go ahead and install from BandLab assistant.

I never use the plug in browser. To me the look and layout is a backwards step compared to having my own custom menu and because of that I tend to forego the drag and drop convenience because it doesn't seem any quicker overall.

Shallow and fickle as I am,  if  it was all sexy looking like in S1 I might be more inclined to use it. In fairness to CW it is the only nice looking thing in S1 though.

Once the plugin browser came in, I hardly use the Plugin Manager anymore. I use the default plugin menus. I thought they did a good enough job of getting me where I need to be  in good time. But what I really like about the browser is the search function.  Try it. : )