No More Volume Control in Piano Roll

Michael McBroom

I make frequent use of the Controllers in the Piano Roll, so that I can fine tune my MIDI instruments, and one of the controllers I often use is Volume. I also use Velocity, but they're different, or at least they behave differently the way I see it, which is why I make the distinction. So earlier today, I set up the Piano Roll so that I can edit the volume for one track and I do this for a couple of short segments, about 4 bars each. So I'm listening to the playback and I realize I made an error. With my first segment, after it concluded, I brought the volume down to zero for a quick fade, but I left it there. The second segment, I also established a volume for it, and it plays fine. But the area between these two segments now has no volume -- because I brought it down to zero after the first one. So, no problem, I thought, I'll just go back and raise the volume back up after the first segment and then everything will be fine. But nope. Now, when I try to change the volume, nothing happens. I'm trying to "paint" a line and it won't paint it, the way I'm used to seeing it do this. Instead as I drag my mouse, it generates a green rectangle, which does nothing --- or at least nothing I care about.

As far as I can figure out, I didn't change anything. The only thing that changed between when I used the Piano Roll this morning and now is time. Time has passed, and that's it. So, got any ideas what happened? I've tried everything I know to do, which I'll admit isn't all that much.

Let's see if I can anticipate a few of your questions:

Yes, I made sure that I indicated the correct channel when I set up the Controller.

Yes, I made sure this is a problem with the Volume and not Velocity. Velocity is different. Near as I can figure, Velocity controls the volume at the mixing console whereas Volume controls the volume of the instrument itself.

As a matter of fact, I checked with the other instruments for which I've configured the Volume controller and they're all doing the same thing -- no control, that is. I also tried setting up a new Controller for a track that hasn't had one yet, and it set up just fine, but like the others, it won't let me control the Volume.

I suspect I've forgotten a rather obvious point to the way Cakewalk handles Controllers, but it must be a point I've never been aware of, because I have no idea what I'm doing wrong if indeed I've done something wrong to cause this.

Help! I'm stuck until I can solve this.

I've never ever used controller 7 (MIDI volume) in my projects, so just for kicks I created a new project and dropped in an instance of Pianoteq. I then recorded some notes and opened the PRV, and added the CC : 7-Volume controller and drew some values.

What I see is shown here:

(animated gif removed to free up space and because it was no longer useful. Sorry!)

You can see the notes I've created, and the CC:7 values I added, first with Snap quantizing and then with Snap disabled (smooth curve). Then I scroll to the left outside the borders of the current clip, and add some addditional controller events. Then I use Right-Click-Drag to select the events.

Does this help?

>> I'm trying to "paint" a line and it won't paint it, the way I'm used to seeing it do this. Instead as I drag my mouse, it generates a green rectangle, which does nothing --- or at least nothing I care about.

Check Snap settings, just in case

>> Near as I can figure, Velocity controls the volume at the mixing console whereas Volume controls the volume of the instrument itself.

That's not how I would describe it. Velocity has nothing to do with Mixing Consoles, and everything to do with a binary value describing the attribute of an individual note - and how it is respected (or interpreted) is up to the module responding to the information stream. (MIDI controlled lights, anyone?)

Edited by Colin Nicholls
  • Thanks 1

Colin, I don't think I've ever done "snap" anything, so I'll need to study up on what you're doing.

Promidi, I'm away from my DAW right now, but I'll bet  you've hit on it. I think you're right. I probably had the Select tool enabled. When I get back down to my DAW, I'll check it out and report back. Thanks.