Bad install? Chronic hourglasses, no sound, etc.

Tim Brown

Hello everyone. My first post so if I am in the wrong place, please forgive me.

I have a new installation of Bandlab Cakewalk that is totally non-functional.  I have attached my computer's system info and as far  as I can see there should be no problem.

I can load the program and the demo song that came with the software.  But clicking anything gives me a perpetual hourglass. If I click "Play" on the transport, I get a perpetual hourglass.

If I try to mark a block of music, it will do that but only after some latency.

Any ideas what may be going on? I used to use Pro Audio Studio 9, which worked fine for me, but it apparently is not compatible with Windows 10.

Anyone else run into this problem?

Thanks.

system info.png

1 hour ago, scook said:

May want to try the another driver modes. IIRC, the Realtek ASIO driver is not very good.

Thanks for this; I had the same issue on new PC. As well as the observed symptoms, using ASIO mode against the onboard Realtek HD Audio causes hundreds, then thousands of threads to accumulate in the Cakewalk process.

Both the WASAPI modes worked for me; WDM/KS did not. (Haven't tried MME 32bit.) Think it's time to transfer across the dedicated sound card out of the previous system...

WASAPI is usually the best choice for Win10 when a good ASIO driver is not available.

WDM/KS is usually the best choice for older OSes when a good ASIO driver is not available.

MME is the most basic and worst performing option (not counting the options that may not work at all)

Another option is ASIO4All. This uses the WDM driver and presents it to the DAW as an ASIO driver. Reported results with ASIO4All are mixed.

• Like 1

WASAPI should be available on all Windows installations. Its the default Windows driver model.
Click on Playback and recording and then choose "Wasapi Shared" as the driver mode. That should work with Realtek sound devices.

>>As well as the observed symptoms, using ASIO mode against the onboard Realtek HD Audio causes hundreds, then thousands of threads to accumulate in the Cakewalk process.

Wow thats bizarre sounds like a serious driver bug. The threads cannot be from Cakewalk and are likely being spawned by the driver itself. Unfortunately we don't have the Realtek ASIO driver since I think it only ships with some OEM PC's.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Noel Borthwick said:

WASAPI should be available on all Windows installations. Its the default Windows driver model.
Click on Playback and recording and then choose "Wasapi Shared" as the driver mode. That should work with Realtek sound devices.

>>As well as the observed symptoms, using ASIO mode against the onboard Realtek HD Audio causes hundreds, then thousands of threads to accumulate in the Cakewalk process.

Wow thats bizarre sounds like a serious driver bug. The threads cannot be from Cakewalk and are likely being spawned by the driver itself. Unfortunately we don't have the Realtek ASIO driver since I think it only ships with some OEM PC's.

Thanks Noel and to the rest of you. That did it!

On 11/21/2019 at 4:04 PM, scook said:

Another option is ASIO4All. This uses the WDM driver and presents it to the DAW as an ASIO driver. Reported results with ASIO4All are mixed.

fwiw, i've had great results for years using asio4all with onboard realtek, but i've never tried the "realtek asio driver" so can't comment on that

good luck!