Track template - for test tracks

Max Arwood

Question

I have a folder in almost every song titled "Test Tracks"  This folder has 8 audio tracks in it.  I put 8 of my favorite commercial songs in these tracks.  When each audio file  is imported the check box for copy audio to project folder is clicked off to save disk space (I use almost the same ones all the time from the same hard disk folder)

I set up each track with a linked group  mute and solo buttons.  like -

Test Track one    -   Group A - Solo on Mute off

Test Track Two    -   Group B - Solo on Mute off

(If the project is loaded to the Max I can also click archive on the folder when I am not using them, to instantly free some horsepower)

All test Tracks are also set up with FX Voxengo - Span To look at the Audio Spectrum.  Don't use this much - mostly use ears LOL!

All Tracks are left in the muted position. Now any time while I'm playing my song - I can click on the solo button for the first test track - It solos the test track and my Song is silenced.  When I click solo again my song is playing and the test track is silenced. I click a few test tracks  to compare to depending on the song and back and forth a few times.

It's easy to start a new song with this as a Project Template.

So far so good right? Now if I could save all that work as a template to import into a older song that doesn't have this folder  - I could save a TON of work setting up the groups and importing all those tracks.

I only had one Idea so far - Just open up another project simultaneously, then I could change windows. The problem with this is the time delay moving from one project to the other is just enough time to loose you "ear"  about what you just heard.  Sometimes I like to click back and forth a few times to decide what EQ, compression etc. needs to be tweaked.  The instantaneous change from my song to the test tracks is always an immediate wake up to what needs to be done. This is why it needs to be in the same project.

Any Ideas on a simple way to do this in one project?

*Just a note - Each track goes to a Test Track bus with the volume down 6-8db.  So I don't get my song too loud.

I know Superior will open all the tracks associated with it.  I'd like something like that.  I was hoping to do it with just Cakewalk, but I do use AutoHotKey for a few things. It would take me forever (I think) to program this in AutoHotKey, because track positions will change from one project to another.

Thanks for any help! 

Max Arwood

8 answers to this question

I would suggest using just one track routed directly to Main Outs with the mute grouped in opposition with the Master bus mute. Then put your reference audio in lanes of that one track. Lanes have a built-in exclusive solo feature which simplifies that part of the process, and using a single track greatly simplifies the setup, and reduces the plugin load. Not sure how this will work as a template due to grouping the mute with the Master bus, but it will be much simpler to set up manually if necessary.

I use this setup to A/B bounced mixes against the 'live' mix on the Master bus.

It may be easier to use a plug-in dedicated for this task. I believe they are referred to as reference plug-ins. The only one I have is MCompare.

Unlike track data, plug-ins may be stored in track templates. Moreover the configuration of the plug-in is maintained. An instance of MCompare may contain up to 4 audio files for comparison and I am able to create a track template and have its setup saved in the template. I am sure others work the same.

The plug-in has a demo and like all Melda plug-ins is part of the 50% off sales cycle. MeldaProduction also has end of year sales so there may be additional opportunities to pick it up on a discount soon.

• Thanks 1

I haven't decided which way is best for me yet but - Thanks for the suggestions.

Looking at -

Melda -MCompare (Don't know why but the website is not loading this file in the V13 Demo Install - It's not even listed.)

Reference by - Mastering the mix (Found BassRoom and Levels -Checking them too)

Track lanes

Don't have a preference yet.

Thanks Guys!

Max Arwood

On 11/15/2019 at 7:45 PM, Max Arwood said:

...So far so good right? Now if I could save all that work as a template to import into a older song that doesn't have this folder  - I could save a TON of work setting up the groups and importing all those tracks...

Max,

There is a way to combine an existing project with a Project Template file.  With your older project open, navigate to the Media Browser and then to your template folder (usually found in C:\Cakewalk Content\Cakewalk Core\Project Templates, if not in your Project folder).  Now click, drag and drop your project template into the Clips Pane in the Track View.  The two projects will automatically merge into your existing project (not a new project).

Hope that helps.

Kind regards,

tecknot

• Like 1

All these are helpful.

tecknot - that will come in handy for a few things.  I didn’t know you could do that. It does work!  Thanks

David - I never used take lanes that much. I did spend some time working with them thanks to you!  I guess I should start using them. Thanks

master the mix - reference gets a runner up. It’s not as smooth as MCompare. 

MCompare seems to be the best solution.  It has a AGC with a mute till matched feature.  It automatically matches the volumes of 16 different songs /reference tracks to your track. The biggest edge over Reference is the silence till match is made. Without this there is a loud blast of the reference track before the AGC adjust. It throws off your tonal memory without this feature. Also as you move to a quieter section of your song  MCompare will readjust your reference tracks with the AGC to rematch the reference at that point in the song.

Thanks to all!