Fall Apart Blues - Original

steve@baselines.com

Very nice indeed, the ideas flow and things change quickly. 

Something tells me your lead vocal is not always panned center? Or am I mishearing it? Was that a non-standard choice? Nothing against it, personally, but it does stand out a bit. I do like your bgv's quite a bit as well.

Overall, some very creative parts, very creatively arranged. A fun listen.

cheers,

-Tom

• Like 2

9 hours ago, emeraldsoul said:

Very nice indeed, the ideas flow and things change quickly. 

Something tells me your lead vocal is not always panned center? Or am I mishearing it? Was that a non-standard choice? Nothing against it, personally, but it does stand out a bit. I do like your bgv's quite a bit as well.

Overall, some very creative parts, very creatively arranged. A fun listen.

cheers,

-Tom

Thanks Tom for the comments.  The first verse vocal is dead center, but when the harmonies come in it's 20% left for one and 20% right for the other.  I try to think of what the 'band' would look like on the stage and for this one I guess I pictured singers slightly apart from the center.  

11 hours ago, Johnbee58 said:

Catchy tune.  Clever lyrics.  Especially love the musical term references.  How did you do the horns?

🙂John B

Hi John - thank you.  The horns were done with Session Horns Pro using the 'Tuba Brass' setting.  Michael Fortunato on Bandlab has sent me a real trombone part which I am going to try and work in.

3 hours ago, DeeringAmps said:

Nice little romp here. As Tom said above, changes are always just around the corner.
And I agree with John, catchy and clever.
Well done.

Tom

ps: I don't consider myself retired, I prefer gainfully unemployed.

LOL - Gainfully unemployed - I'm gonna steal that!  Thanks for posting a comment, always nice to hear from other musicians!

Now this is something that you don't hear often.  A cheery Blues song!  Well done!!!  To my fossilized ears it has a bit of Paul McCarthy feel to it (most definitely meant as a complement).  Clever lyrics and great delivery of the lyrics.  All over terrific song and great mix.  BTW - I have been retired for a number of years and I highly recommend it to anyone that is still working.

• Like 1

On 11/18/2019 at 4:23 PM, freddy j said:

Now this is something that you don't hear often.  A cheery Blues song!  Well done!!!  To my fossilized ears it has a bit of Paul McCarthy feel to it (most definitely meant as a complement).  Clever lyrics and great delivery of the lyrics.  All over terrific song and great mix.  BTW - I have been retired for a number of years and I highly recommend it to anyone that is still working.

Hey thanks Freddy - it's a HUGE compliment - I am a big Beatles fan.  

I don't think I've ever heard this genre on the forum before.
Can't call it a blues song cause the bouncy tune put me in a good mood. Very inventive to say the least.
Could be background music in a Betty Boop cartoon (and there's a cultural reference you don't see every day)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/21/2019 at 7:45 PM, bjornpdx said:

I don't think I've ever heard this genre on the forum before.
Can't call it a blues song cause the bouncy tune put me in a good mood. Very inventive to say the least.
Could be background music in a Betty Boop cartoon (and there's a cultural reference you don't see every day)

Thank you for listening and commenting.  If you're on Bandlab let me know and I will check you out!

On 12/11/2019 at 6:01 PM, SteveC said:

Yeah, that blues song made me smile.     😊

Lyrics were great, and the arrangement and mix were very complimentary.    It reminded me a bit of something that Daryl would do (that is a compliment). 

Definitely a compliment!  Thanks very much.  If you are on bandlab, let me know and I'll give you a follow.

Terrific song!  I think Freddy nailed it, it does remind me of McCartney and Abbey Road, yet it is unique at the same time.  The only thing I noticed is that it's a little light on lows and mids on my speakers (KRK Rokit 8's), but every element in the mix does stand out quite well, so it may be a matter of taste.  Anyway, I love it and I'll be back to listen again.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Lynn said:

Terrific song!  I think Freddy nailed it, it does remind me of McCartney and Abbey Road, yet it is unique at the same time.  The only thing I noticed is that it's a little light on lows and mids on my speakers (KRK Rokit 8's), but every element in the mix does stand out quite well, so it may be a matter of taste.  Anyway, I love it and I'll be back to listen again.

Thanks for the feedback Lynn - next time I am in the DAW I will check the balance out.  I use iZotope tonal balance.  If you are on Bandlab, let me know and I will definitely follow.  I am on there as @steve2k2