Midi automation on instrument channel ?

lychee

Hello guys and girls ! (first post here)

(Huston 😅) I have a problem.

When I want to use a bezier line automation in my instument channel, I have only access to the audio controls of this channel (audio volume and pan, audio plugins and FX…).

How to switch to the midi part of an virtual instrument channel to insert (for exemple) an expression automation.

And how on the main project window insert a midi FX on virtual instruments ?

Because i can only do that in the inspector window, and this way i can not copy my midi FX to an other channel if i want to.

Sorry i'm bad in English (i'm french) and I hope I have been clear in my explanations.

Thank's in advence.

Best regards

Edited by lychee

Hi Lychee.  You want to open the Piano Roll View (PRV) for your track. Look at the lower left area and you will see a "+" sign. Click on that and you can add MIDI controllers, as many as you want.

For more info, look in the Cakewalk Manual or Help files for "MIDI Controllers"    

Nice Day!  😎

Aside from using MIDI CC in the PRV, it is possible to access MIDI automation in the Track View but MIDI automation parameters are available only on MIDI tracks. This means the instrument track must be split in order to see the underlying MIDI track. The audio and MIDI track may be reformed as an instrument track but the MIDI automation will not show in the instrument track. Make or split instrument tracks using the track view track menu or the context menu in the track header.

To add MFX plug-ins to an instrument track use the FX Rack in the MIDI tab of the track inspector.

• Like 2

Thanks guys for your answers, but…

@Cosmo Kramer: I know that you can directly draw CC in the Piano Roll (I am a user of this DAW since cakewalk pro audio 6) , but i prefer the flexibility of bezier curves.

@scook: As I said above, i know i can insert MFX by the Track Inspector, but i can't copy and paste it or make a copy by drag and drop from a channel to another.

I can only créate one by one my MFX in every instrument tracks and put the same characteristics Inside, and that's "exhausting".

It is sad to know that to have the beziers on an instrument track, that it should be deconstructed, and I think a little update should be done on it to be more user friendly.

Again thanks for your replies, and I will post a suggestion above on the feedback section.

Edited by lychee

The problem with separate midi and audio tracks of virtual instruments is that, it can be quickly confusing if you have a lot of channels to manage, like in an orchestral music for example.

That's why I prefer to let them combine, but in this way Cakewalk considers it to be only an audio track.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/19/2019 at 6:52 AM, scook said:

To add MFX plug-ins to an instrument track use the FX Rack in the MIDI tab of the track inspector. 

For some reason the help links you post show up in French and it looks like the English option is missing among the languages options.
Any way to reset this one my end?

Edited by TheSteven

IIRC, the OP is a native French speaker so I posted a link to the French help. This is the English page. There is a language argument in the url. Notice in the French link "language=2"

https://www.cakewalk.com/Documentation?product=Cakewalk&language=2&help=Inspectors.3.html#1220713

Changing this to "language=3" like this

https://www.cakewalk.com/Documentation?product=Cakewalk&language=3&help=Inspectors.3.html#1220713

calls up the page in English.

6 hours ago, scook said:

IIRC, the OP is a native French speaker so I posted a link to the French help. This is the English page. There is a language argument in the url. Notice in the French link "language=2"

https://www.cakewalk.com/Documentation?product=Cakewalk&language=2&help=Inspectors.3.html#1220713

Changing this to "language=3" like this

https://www.cakewalk.com/Documentation?product=Cakewalk&language=3&help=Inspectors.3.html#1220713

calls up the page in English.

Thanks!