Can not open vst plugin

maximilian spey

Question

2 answers to this question

I just downloaded TAL-Reverb-2 from https://tal-software.com/products/tal-reverb and confirmed the plug-in does work in CbB.

To install the plug-in I opened the install_TAL-reverb-2.zip and copied TAL-Reverb-2-64.dll into C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Vstplugins\TAL ignoring all the other files in the zip.

C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Vstplugins is the default scan path for CbB and I like to create a folder for each plug-in manufacturer just to keep things a little more organized. The dll could be copied to any folder and used in CbB as long as the folder is in the VST scan path. This path is set up in preferences. In this example, there is no need to add C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Vstplugins\TAL to the scan path because it is under C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Vstplugins. The scanner looks in every folder under the paths setup in the scan path. Care should be exercised when adding to the scan path. For example, do not add something like C:\Program Files as this will cause the scanner to open dlls that are not plug-ins which can crash the scanner.

Once a plug-in is added to a folder in the scan path, the VST scanner needs to run for the DAW to know about the plug-in. This happens soon after the plug-in is added as long as "Automatic Background Scan" is set in scan options (see the preferences link above to review scan options). If the scanner is not set to "Automatic Background Scan" the scanner must be run before the plug-in will show up in CbB.

After scanning, where the plug-in appears in the plug-in list depends on the plug-in layout selected. Read about the plug-in browser here. By default, CbB uses the "Sort By Category" layout. VST2 plug-ins like TAL-Reverb-2 have no category tag as this is a VST3 feature so the plug-in is in the "Uncategorized" folder. It may be moved to another category. Here is the help page about how to categorize plug-ins.

Here is the help page on how to add plug-ins to a project.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1