MP3 export has very soft volume.

Joe Dun

• 2 weeks later...

If you are using your ears to determine how "loud" something is, be aware that you can increase the gain at a number of points in your signal chain and make a low dB signal sound as loud as you want. Then when you export a low dB mix as wave or MP3 and play it on another application that does not have all the gain adjustments turned way up, it is going to sound quiet. It was quiet when it left Cakewalk, you just did not notice it because you had increased the volume somewhere in Cakewalk or elsewhere in the signal chain. What are the meters on the mains showing you about your signal? Are you sure you are exporting and listening to the signal at the mains?

Here are more details. 

The music is all just MIDI tracks, there are no audio tracks. The only other type of track is the TTS-1.  Its gain is in the middle of the range.

The MID tracks all had volume set around 100.

When I examine the MP3 using Audacity audio editor, the waveform is pretty low.  I used Audacity to increase the volume some, but I know that increasing volume from a very low level, to a much higher one will tend to create problems with the quality of the audio. Plus, of course, it is an extra step I would rather not have to think about.

slartabartfast ask about my volume at the mains. I am not sure where to see this in Cakewalk.

-Joe

39 minutes ago, Joe Dun said:

there are no audio tracks.

There is at least one, the track receiving the TTS-1 audio. Even if TTS-1 is inserted as an instrument track - that track contains an underlying audio track. If this is the export source, check the audio meter for the track.

There may be other places to check depending on the export options used.

It might be helpful to supply a link to the project.