Best Format for Audio for YouTube Videos

razor7music

Hello--

I'm noticing my audio is sounding muffled, like the highs have been cut on my videos that I upload to YouTube. I go back through my original audio and they all sound fine. So, something is happening in either the render or upload (or both) process. Ideally, I would like the best video and audio quality, but since these are music videos, if I had to lean to one side or the other, I would prefer the audio quality.

In Vegas Pro, I am using an MP3 file for my music track. Then I render with the MP4 (AVC/AAC) Internet HD 1080p template. I can try using a higher quality audio track in my video timeline, but wanted to see if I should be rendering with a different setting or is there an audio setting tweak from within Vegas that would help?

Thanks!

Edited by razor7music

It's not you. It's YouTube. YT transcode everything you upload, the quality of the transcode being (partially) related to your status (views, subscribers, etc.).

YT also have very specific audio specifications. Try the free Youlean Loudness Meter plugin. I have the new Pro version ($47), but the free one should have all of the presets, including one for YouTube. If your audio is hotter than the specs, they'll definitely transcode it.

Youlean Loudness Meter

Edit: Once you get your audio to meet YT specs, search for tips to on how to get YT to transcode your upload using their highest/best quality. I vaguely remember one tip being to edit the uploaded video (delete ONE frame) and save/reupload. Something like that.

If any of this helps, please post an update.

Edited by John Maar

56 minutes ago, John Maar said:

It's not you. It's YouTube. YT transcode everything you upload, the quality of the transcode being (partially) related to your status (views, subscribers, etc.).

YT also have very specific audio specifications. Try the free Youlean Loudness Meter plugin. I have the new Pro version ($47), but the free one should have all of the presets, including one for YouTube. If your audio is hotter than the specs, they'll definitely transcode it.

Youlean Loudness Meter

Edit: Once you get your audio to meet YT specs, search for tips to on how to get YT to transcode your upload using their highest/best quality. I vaguely remember one tip being to edit the uploaded video (delete ONE frame) and save/reupload. Something like that.

If any of this helps, please post an update.

That is very interesting. If they are transcoding my audio, they're doing pretty poopy job at it.

I'll check out the youlean meter. Thanks!