Those Old Feelings-Original

Johnbee58

After listening to this several times, I've come to the conclusion that your voice is getting stronger, your arrangement is sophisticated, and your angst is palpable.  The strings are particularly nice, and I like the way you faded out the ending.  Don't quit now!  Keep em coming.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Lynn said:

After listening to this several times, I've come to the conclusion that your voice is getting stronger, your arrangement is sophisticated, and your angst is palpable.  The strings are particularly nice, and I like the way you faded out the ending.  Don't quit now!  Keep em coming.

Thanks so much, Lynn.  I don't know why but sometimes when I'm recording the vocals in a project I get all tensed up.  I even find myself closing my eyes real tight.  It's become a habit and I don't understand it.  It's not like I'm in a recording studio where "time is money".  I'm in my own home on my own time.  For some reason, on this project I gave that the boot and just let it whale out of me and it shows, especially in the choruses.  I'm going to remember that next project. 

I'm not quitting.  I just feel as if I need to take a short little break from it.  But I've said that before to myself countless times and it didn't last long.  Inspiration is a fleeting thing.  If a good idea presents itself, you can bet I'll be on it real quick. 😉

🙂JB

Sometimes as musicians were are not great at a lot of things. Instead.. We tend to be amazing at one thing. Its clear to me that your "one thing" is Songwriting.  I'll be perfectly honest here, there are some things I think could be better (vocal wise anyway). But there is no denying your songwriting skills. This song in particular, it was laid out like a book that I could not only easily read, but could also easily relate to. It was moving.

I really enjoyed the pick up around 4:00 into the song where the strings came in. The orchestration really lends something to this song. By the time that last verse comes in around 4:11 this song just rises, lifts up and soars. It sounds very professional.

Its not always easy to keep a listener locked into a 6 minute song. It can be challenging. I've had many 6 minute songs myself and tried to trim them to 3:00 + minutes, making them more radio friendly, but it ends up taking away the feel of the song, the song loses its meaning. I think this one is perfect as is.

Great song John

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chuckebaby said:

Sometimes as musicians were are not great at a lot of things. Instead.. We tend to be amazing at one thing. Its clear to me that your "one thing" is Songwriting.  I'll be perfectly honest here, there are some things I think could be better (vocal wise anyway). But there is no denying your songwriting skills. This song in particular, it was laid out like a book that I could not only easily read, but could also easily relate to. It was moving.

I really enjoyed the pick up around 4:00 into the song where the strings came in. The orchestration really lends something to this song. By the time that last verse comes in around 4:11 this song just rises, lifts up and soars. It sounds very professional.

Its not always easy to keep a listener locked into a 6 minute song. It can be challenging. I've had many 6 minute songs myself and tried to trim them to 3:00 + minutes, making them more radio friendly, but it ends up taking away the feel of the song, the song loses its meaning. I think this one is perfect as is.

Great song John

Can't be that great. 😉

Thanks so much, Chuck.  I really appreciate your kind words here.

🙂JB

• Thanks 1

Hi John

I like the start - in the intro are those  Chinese Winds Mini DIZI flute from  Kong Audio - I purchased a few of the Kong Libraries many years ago for a project i was working on  -   a friend of mine ran the Great Wall of China for Charity and we were doing a documentary - unfortunately the money never appeared!!!!! And I don't think I've ever used them since, so great to hear how they can be incorporated into a modern song.

Like the song and the lyrics - some good stuff in there.

Personally I don't have an issue with the length of the intro, but I do know today  the  fashion is to have short intros 

Good stuff, thanks for sharing

Nigel

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bajan Blue said:

Hi John

I like the start - in the intro are those  Chinese Winds Mini DIZI flute from  Kong Audio - I purchased a few of the Kong Libraries many years ago for a project i was working on  -   a friend of mine ran the Great Wall of China for Charity and we were doing a documentary - unfortunately the money never appeared!!!!! And I don't think I've ever used them since, so great to hear how they can be incorporated into a modern song.

Like the song and the lyrics - some good stuff in there.

Personally I don't have an issue with the length of the intro, but I do know today  the  fashion is to have short intros 

Good stuff, thanks for sharing

Nigel

Thanks so much, Nigel. 🙂

The DIZI flute program was free when I acquired it a few years ago.  It still might be.  I've had it for a while.  I love it.  I've used it on several songs.  For a freebie it's very impressive.

🙂JB

The vocal melody & phrasing feels a bit too all over the place. Lyrics seem written as to  isolate the listener & not involve them. Your vague remark is a fitting description.

The intro/ outro sections (solos)  & drum track are lacking in dynamics, phrasing & human feel. Too mechanical & rigid for what ( I think) you're tying to convey.

Some nice ideas but needs fleshing out. Maybe try a few more passes or alt versions.

Edited by Hidden Symmetry
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Hidden Symmetry said:

The vocal melody & phrasing feels a bit too all over the place. Lyrics seem written as to  isolate the listener & not involve them. Your vague remark is a fitting description.

The intro/ outro sections (solos)  & drum track are lacking in dynamics, phrasing & human feel. Too mechanical & rigid for what ( I think) you're tying to convey.

Some nice ideas but needs fleshing out. Maybe try a few more passes or alt versions.

Can't please everybody.  Thanks for your feedback.

🙂JB

JohnB  Those Old Feelings

Intro went on a little too long
Suggest dropping the chirps or whatever they are in the intro

Really nice melodic phrases here:
 "In the Dark of Night"  1:11
 "Welcome to my world" at 2:00  (effective use of strings)
Kind of expected it again at 2:53

Strong songwriting skills esp accompanying phrases in background
but maybe too many different instruments.

I didn't analyze the lyrics much, just sat back and let the music tell the story.

• Like 1