What Do You Use Your DAW For?

razor7music

Hello Group--

Just a light-hearted thread to see what everyone's into.

Do you use your DAW to produce your own tracks? Are you for hire? What do you do with your tracks? Sell them yourself? Get them plugged by an intermediary? Audio for film? Etc?

I'll start: I produce my own original tracks and get them plugged by a couple of intermediaries (Taxi, Hit License). I plan on investing in a digital distribution service next year--probably around summer when my Taxi subscription runs out -- then I plan on trying to sell my tracks through iTunes, Amazon, etc. via my website, etc.

How about you? 😊

Edited by razor7music

I make my own play-along tracks to just play around and improvising, I record myself to see what I should work at - kind of a learning tool for practicing and just for fun. And I use it a lot for Video (Sound, music and speech) - That's the production tool.. And, last not least, I love to experiment with styles of music I'm not firm with, i.e. EDM or such things. Just out of curiousity. With SPLAT I made some recordings and mixes with my buddies, but in the last months we did nothing like that.

Edited by mkerl
  • Like 1

For many years I have been writing and producing my own original progressive rock tunes. As it's prog, they can be anywhere from 2-3 minutes to almost 45 minutes (currently working on "The Story Trunk" at 44:30.) I have marketed this work in various places like https://verticalalignment.bandcamp.com/ , CDBaby, Amazon and more. Cakewalk Pro Audio, SONAR & CbB have been my sole music production tool. I think it's the most versatile there is!

• Like 1

I use CbB to make music, test gear and virtual plugins, make demos.

I use REAPER to learn songs, following them by ear and to practice before the rehearsals/live playing.

I also have SO4, Samp X3, Cubase 8LE but almost never use 'em due to uncomfortable workflow and some things that bug me in a bad way (including software bugs).

• Like 2

I like to record others mainly. I enjoy playing guitar but I don't spend much time recording me playing guitar.

I spend a lot of time bouncing down recordings made outside my house (garages, bars, coffee houses). It's been a fun journey learning about mics and fx and balance.

It's like a long term ears challenge to learn to get mixes tight quickly enough that you finish before you move on.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Soundwise said:

I use CbB to make music, test gear and virtual plugins, make demos.

I use REAPER to learn songs, following them by ear and to practice before the rehearsals/live playing.

I also have SO4, Samp X3, Cubase 8LE but almost never use 'em due to uncomfortable workflow and some things that bug me in a bad way (including software bugs).

You're a star, soundwise!

I make music either on my own, with collaboration from Bandlab itself, and I even mix for other people when I am asked or recommended by a friend. I'm an audio mix engineer, but I am also a musician and I've been learning to make my own videos with Adobe, I code my own website and I just love doing this stuff all on my own. It can be hard work. Worth it.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Phil Balliet said:

I make music either on my own, with collaboration from Bandlab itself, and I even mix for other people when I am asked or recommended by a friend. I'm an audio mix engineer, but I am also a musician and I've been learning to make my own videos with Adobe, I code my own website and I just love doing this stuff all on my own. It can be hard work. Worth it.

Which Adobe, Phil? Premiere?