What Do You Use Your DAW For?

razor7music

6 minutes ago, MUDGEL said:

Sadly I’ll health has seen my DAW act a place holder in my computer to remind me why I have a computer just for music (mostly). Hopefully 2019 will see me well, and able to use it more

I can relate.  2018 saw me unable to sing well, and other issues kept me from doing much at all with my DAW.  I seem to be on the upswing now, and I sincerely hope you start feeling better as well, very soon. It's not a good feeling to be a creator and not be able to create.  All the best to you in 2019!

• Sad 1

Same here MUDGEL- Best wishes to you in your recovery. I went through a few particularly tough similar years.  I'm only telling you that because I think I can relate somewhat. Hope you can get back to doing what you love to do. Feel free tp PM me if you need an ear.

Back to topic-

My DAW purpose has been a moving target lately. I never had serious commercial aspirations, though I released an album using CbB.  It seems one day I'm writing in midi and sofware synths, the next day I'm recording live tracks. The next day I'm writing notation. I also use DAW's for backing tracks playing gigs.  About the only thing I haven't done much of is looping.

At heart, I'm a composer. This has been most of my use in DAWs. They are great tools for ideas and composition.

• Like 1

I am a church musician (mostly now).  Not a good organist but a good vocalist.  I use CbC to add interesting accompaniments to my organ playing.  For example an arrangement of "Thus Zarathustra" which I used as a prelude for the Sunday of Daylight savings time.  I also  develop instrumental backing tracks  to many of the church choral works.   I produced a backing track for brian Reidingler's "Coventry Carol" for a recent advent service.   I feel like a rock star sometimes when I have the click track sent to me while conducting the choir.  I get many compliments from the congregation because of the variety of styles and accompaniments.

Before that I was using Sonar to produce backing tracks for my wife and I when we were singing pop music in local resturants .  I developed 100's of duets for Sop and Baritone and even a bunch of trios when one of my students was available.

The flexibility of CbC (or Sonar) is what made this such a valuable tool.  

• Like 2

On 12/24/2018 at 2:51 PM, willard cottrell said:

I am a church musician (mostly now).  Not a good organist but a good vocalist.  I use CbC to add interesting accompaniments to my organ playing.  For example an arrangement of "Thus Zarathustra" which I used as a prelude for the Sunday of Daylight savings time.  I also  develop instrumental backing tracks  to many of the church choral works.   I produced a backing track for brian Reidingler's "Coventry Carol" for a recent advent service.   I feel like a rock star sometimes when I have the click track sent to me while conducting the choir.  I get many compliments from the congregation because of the variety of styles and accompaniments.

Before that I was using Sonar to produce backing tracks for my wife and I when we were singing pop music in local resturants .  I developed 100's of duets for Sop and Baritone and even a bunch of trios when one of my students was available.

The flexibility of CbC (or Sonar) is what made this such a valuable tool.  

This is something I want to to break into more. Using CbB for backing tracks. I've mostly bought them and imported them. Any monkey can do that I suppose. Our setup isn't very large. My click/info tracks are sent from a headphone amp I brought in.

• Like 1