Temporary tempo changes

tleaustin

Question

I've been reading a lot of tempo questions, but I do not see this issue - let me know if I missed it somewhere.

I have recorded several acoustic guitar tracks at 90 bpm, but there are a couple tricky parts I can't get down cleanly. For the recording, I want them as perfect as possible. Is there a way to do a take (on a separate track or sound on sound) where the tempo is temporarily changed 10 percent slower but the pitch is the same, which I could then edit in at the regular speed? That is, can I slow down the tempo on all the other tracks temporarily, maintaining pitch, record the tricky parts, then speed them all back up with the new parts included?

I suppose it would also work if I could slow everything down, along with the consequence of the  pitch being lowered, then tune the guitar down and record it that way.  Is that possible? If all else fails, I guess I could practice those parts a couple hundred more times!

Again, apologies if this has already been addressed somewhere.

• Like 1

2 answers to this question

- Select All

- Expand the Audiosnap section of the Clip properties tab in the Track Inspector.

- Check the Enable box.

- Set the Follow Option to 'Auto stretch'.

- Check the Follow Proj Tempo box.

The above settings can also be accessed by hitting Alt+A to open the Audiosnap 'palette'.

Now you can freely change the initial tempo, and clips will follow the tempo change while maintaining pitch. By default, the stretching is rendered by the Groove Clip algorithm which is fine since you're going to change the tempo back, and don't have to worry about quality of the temporary stretching.

After recording the new part(s),  Select the new clip(s) and enable Auto strech mode on those as you did above, and then change the tempo back.

Now you can disable the Audiosnap on the clips that had to be slowed down, and they will be back to their original condition.

Try out the different 'online' (real-time) stretching algorithms on the new clip(s) to see which yields the best result, and then set the matching algorthm for offline stretching and Bounce to Clips to render the stretching permanent. Or Bounce to Tracks if you're not ready to commit or you want to try one of the offline Radius algorithms that doesn't have an online equivalent.

Edited by David Baay
  • Great Idea 1

Yes, exactly what I was looking for. I've gotten to the part where I can slow down all the recorded tracks/clips while maintaining pitch, so maybe I can finally get the three guitar parts synched up correctly.

I've watched a lot of the tutorials but I see there are still a lot of features hidden away in this impressive product.  Slowly getting there, thanks for the response!