CA-2A

Jerry Freese

The IK White is also an LA2A clone. Pretty much either one in the fx bin is fine. Because the CA2A is part of the pro channel, that’s what makes it “first choice” for me. Of course in your case since you can’t buy it. White works well, and everyone makes a clone. You probably already have one, if so you’re not missing much. 

Tom

• Like 2

4 hours ago, martsave martin s said:

Like pwal said that offering may or may not be legit - and Cakewalk's CA-2A is cool and all but it's not worth $170+. Look for the Waves CLA-2A to go down to $29 soon. 

Edited by Christian Jones
n
  • Like 2

This seems to have fallen out of regular distribution. Any legitimate retail copies that are left out there are likely to be priced as a rare antique. It seems to me Cakewalk used to sell it for about $99, but the only source I found for remaining stock wants $169.99 plus shipping for it. That is pretty steep for something that was being given away free as a promo not so long ago, but if someone really wants it (or if they have a valuable project that absolutely requires it to open and modify) I guess they will pay the asking price. Be careful of cracked versions which may be more readily available. Buying someone's used copy will doubtless violate the traditional Cakewalk license terms that prevent transfers from the original licensee. 

8 hours ago, Christian Jones said:

Like pwal said that offering may or may not be legit - and Cakewalk's CA-2A is cool and all but it's not worth $170+. Look for the Waves CLA-2A to go down to $29 soon. 

That would be a closer to reasonable price.     $180.00 for a plug in....No way.

22 hours ago, Jerry Freese said:

How can I get the CA-2A?

Not sure if new old stock would autorize to the servers properly.

However, for a free VST that has some of that LA-2A flavor, these would be worth checking out:

http://www.vst4free.com/free_vst.php?plugin=SLAX&id=2593

http://www.vst4free.com/free_vst.php?id=1186

(and if you eventually go the paid route via Waves, I'd recommend doing a demo of the OmniChannel while you are looking.  Three compressor types - one is Opto based - i.e. LA-2A like and has a whole world of other tools included in the box.  For a "WAVES" option it is the most versitiale thing they offer in a single plugin.  I have and use the Cakewalk CA-2A, mostly becuase it is a Pro-Channel module.  If I'm stuck in VST world, I never seem to open it up there.  

Edited by Brian Walton
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Brian Walton said:

I'd recommend doing a demo of the OmniChannel while you are looking.  Three compressor types - one is Opto based - i.e. LA-2A like

That's cool, I've been waiting on the OmniChannel and forgot about that. I was actually gonna buy the CLA-2A too, but are you saying it'd be redundant if one has the OmniChannel? 

9 hours ago, Christian Jones said:

That's cool, I've been waiting on the OmniChannel and forgot about that. I was actually gonna buy the CLA-2A too, but are you saying it'd be redundant if one has the OmniChannel? 

It isn't exaclty the same, but it does have an Optical Compressor simulation that includes the usual suspect controls which is clearly modeled after a LA-2A type of thing.

Not to mention it has two other compressor types on board.  

Once I got the Omni, I basically didn't feel I needed the LA-2A anymore.