Crashing since latest update

jono grant

I've been getting more frequent crashing in Cakewalk since the last update. I usually blame a plugin or something for crashing but when it does, I'm usually able to "end task" in task manager and move on... these days I'll get a crash (white screen) and it will hang in task manager. I see a number of entries of "com surrogate" also in task manager when it occurs, which I'm not used to seeing. Anyhow, "end task" doesn't work very well now with CW for some reason.

I also find after the crash, that my USB devices get closed and re-discovered.

Anyone else having any strange issues since the latest update?

Thanks

Jono

Update of WIndows or CbB?

I think you might have a clue when you mention that your "USB devices get closed and re-discovered"

Is it possible that you have a hub and there are too many USB devices connected to it.  Personally, I would connect USB devices via direct connection to the PC.

Maybe try uninstalling and then reinstalling your audio interface drivers.  It would not do any harm checking that you have the latest versions. Actually visit manufacturers website to verify this - don't rely on any automatic processes for this.

Note: I am running Windows 10 fully patched and latest CbB....  no crashes here.

5 hours ago, Noel Borthwick said:

Hangs and crashes are two different things. It looks like you are seeing a hang. If you capture a dump and send a link we can investigate and advise what is causing the hang potentially.

Thanks! How do I capture a dump? Not sure what that is exactly...