Output Portal

Matthew Sorrels

The Output bundle's been flirting with a place on my wishlist for a long time now. I finally talked myself out of it last month and settled with Portal alone (using a T+S discount code), not realising Output would be having a sale this month 🙁

So with the sale going, the GAS is kicking in again and for some reason I'm contemplating the bundle all over again. Their stuff does look really cool, but I do wonder if I'd end up actually using it in my music; this pretty much sums up what I'm worried I'll be feeling like:

4 hours ago, Reid Rosefelt said:

They look like a 10 but for me in practice they were a 2.  

Thanks Reid: I think you've helped me save some cash for some other BF deals!

• Like 1

Sadly I have to say I really like them. Quite inspirational sonically and beautiful to boot.  
In order of love and pleasure:

Exhale

Analog Strings

Analog Brass & Winds

Signal

Portal

Rev

Substance

Movement

(but hey, that’s just me)

• Thanks 2

23 minutes ago, Fleer said:

Sadly I have to say I really like them. Quite inspirational sonically and beautiful to boot.  
In order of love and pleasure:

Exhale

Analog Strings

Analog Brass & Winds

Signal

Portal

Rev

Substance

Movement

(but hey, that’s just me)

Obviously a massive amount of  people love Output stuff and use them in their music.

When I moved over from my Mac and Logic to my PC a few years ago, I got Komplete,  EZdrummer, Sonar,  and $600+ worth of Output. It was one of my first purchases, and it just didn't work out.  Not for me at all, but obviously  terrific for somebody else.   And then I started making music on my new setup and ended up buying other libraries that suited me more.

But after that, I love Portal.  So that makes me curious about Analog Strings and Analog Brass & Winds.  And a lot of expansions.  Will I like those things as much as I like Portal? 

I'm not knocking Output.  I realize these things are personal.  So what I would gently propose to others, would be maybe to just start out with Signal (or even the free Signal demo) before diving in as deeply as I did.  Output offers very generous deals to people who trade up to the whole package.

Edited by Reid Rosefelt
  • Great Idea 1

43 minutes ago, Fleer said:

Yeah, that free Signal is a good place to start. 
I did so too. 

You may also have sold me on spending money, @Fleer because your favorites under Exhale are the two ones I don't have.  Rev,  Substance, and Movement are at the bottom of my list too, so maybe we have similar tastes.

Even though I haven't used their instruments in finished pieces, I do like them  and admire the company a lot. I also think they are one of the few companies that treat their customers really well.  If you buy stuff from Output and Soundtoys you get great discounts when you buy the whole store.

• Like 1

I bought the Complete Output bundle last year when it was on sale. Got it for 400$ for upgrading from Movement that I got for free from Presonus.

I don’t regret my purchase at all. All the libraries are inspirational.

All I’m missing is Portal, if MF accept my request after canceling my order, I’ll be complete again.

That's a really good price you got Yan. Initially I also only had Movement, but it was something like $589 for the bundle and I only had my eye/budget on Exhale & Signal. I've been playing both of these this whole weekend and truly love it...very inspirational indeed and can go deep as you want to.

Mind you I'm not a keyboardist and having an easy access to immediate inspiration with such excellent sounds, it's truly a valuable tool for me. Then again, I've always like synth sounds that have 'movement' (so to speak), so this works well for me. Looking forward to getting under the hood learn to use it better. I do wish Output had license transfers....you know, one man's junk is another man's treasure. ;) 

1 hour ago, smallstonefan said:

Signal is one of my absolute favorite VSTs.

Is there a sale price on completing the bundle through their site? I can't tell if the price they are giving me is a holiday promo price or the regular price...

If the price shown is a sale price, it's a terrible sale.  I own Movement and Portal and am being quoted $549.

I emailed them to ask about upgrading from Portal. Apparently upgrades are independent from the sale price - you can either buy the bundle at sale price, or you can buy an upgrade at non-sale price. A little sucky, but still cheaper than the non-sale bundle price.

• 2 weeks later...