Cakewalk suddenly not seeing my MAudio Anniversary

Skyline_UK

I have no idea why, but my MAudio Midisport Anniversary suddenly went invisible today after years of sterling service.

Neither Cakewalk, Studio One 4 or Band In a Box show it in the usual way; it's as if it just isn't there anymore as far as those applications are concerned.    Windows Devices shows it is recognised as a device and is 'working properly', and its little green pulsing light is still there.   I tried uninstalling it, restarting the computer, and reinstalling it but all to no avail.  Windows 10 update 1903 was already in place so it can't be that.  I wondered if anyone has come across this before, and if so what I might need to check/change to cure it?  

It sounds like this is a Windows problem, since it affects multiple applications. Check in Windows device manager to see if it is shown as working there. If not, then restart the computer and check again. Still not showing--check connections to various USB sockets, direct connection rather than a hub. If no physical connection works, then suspect a driver issue, perhaps as the result of a Windows update. It looks like it is class compliant ie the driver not separately installable, but it might be possible to delete the device in device manager and re-install/plug in the device again to see if there is some type of corruption.

18 minutes ago, slartabartfast said:

It sounds like this is a Windows problem, since it affects multiple applications. Check in Windows device manager to see if it is shown as working there. If not, then restart the computer and check again. Still not showing--check connections to various USB sockets, direct connection rather than a hub. If no physical connection works, then suspect a driver issue, perhaps as the result of a Windows update. It looks like it is class compliant ie the driver not separately installable, but it might be possible to delete the device in device manager and re-install/plug in the device again to see if there is some type of corruption.

Yes, some sudden (? but why?) incompatibility issue with Windows.  Yes, as a device it's all showing as working in Windows.  As I said before,  I uninstalled via Control Panel, turned off, restarted and reinstalled.  Windows chirrups to say recognised and installed, but my applications just can't see it!   Very bizarre.  It was working fine up to yesterday.  All I've done in between is install EZ Drummer and EZMix.   It's a brand new PC and I've been doing a lot of re-installing of applications, plugins and so on over the last couple of weeks and when I installed the Anniversary it worked first time, and has done until today.

I don't feel confident about uninstalling its driver and then hunting down all the references to it in the Registry and reinstalling, but maybe that's worth a try.  Or I could just fork out £40 or so for a new one (NOT MAudio!) and move on...

Edited by Skyline_UK

I have an older midiSport 4x 4 running on Windows 10 1903. I learned the hard way that it absolutely does not like being plugged into different USB ports. If you look in the registry it is likely that there are dozens  of references  to the same MIDI ports. You will probably need to delete the driver and clean out the registry. Then reload it and make sure it always stays on the same USB port. At least that is what I had to do when I first built this computer several years ago.

• Great Idea 2

Base 57 was right.  I edited the Registry and used Find and Find Next F3 to delete all references with MIDISPORT.  I lost count but there were dozens.  I then powered down, reconnected the MIDISPORT and turned the PC on.  All was back to normal.  Oddly, I didn't even have to rerun the driver install.

• Like 1